PDA

View Full Version : Cantek JDT75

Martin Wasner
02-28-2016, 4:51 PM
Anyone have experience with this dovetailer? I've always sworn I wouldn't upgrade unless it was a CNC dovetailer, but I'm watching one of these on an auction, if it goes right it'd be a heck of a lot better than how we're doing it now with a router and jig. It's a joke doing ~800 drawers a year this way. New they're about $9k, I'm not sure what they pull on the used market. The CNC model I'm looking at is about $16k new.

Rick Fisher
02-28-2016, 11:47 PM
I have a hand operated unit like that, its not automatic, but its really fast.

This is what I have .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i04NpS1JjKg

I've found that prepping the stock and assembly is the work. The dovetailing process is nothing. I do really like the automatic feature and watched one operate at the AWFS show. Compared. Its definitely a better machine. Heavier built, simple to operate and simple to understand. If you have the drawers to built, you will laugh at how fast and easy it is ..

Martin Wasner
02-29-2016, 7:54 AM
I agree, the bulk of the time is prepping parts other than the actual machining. An actual dovetailer is a bit faster, but consistency is tough to match on an actual machine, that saves time down the road.

I really want a CNC for doing dovetails. I'm looking at the Omec model. It does a scoring cut, and the rest us a climb cut. I don't know if there's zero tear out on the ends, but it sure looks good in the videos. Currently I'm ripping the top of the drawer off to eliminate the tear out, so I could lose an entire step. I think you can mix up the width of the pins too. That could be something neat to offer that would have zero cost and be unique at the moment.