PDA

View Full Version : Carter Bandsaw Guides...

John Grace
02-28-2016, 2:56 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the 'universal fit' Carter bandsaw guide system? Thank you...John

Tom M King
02-28-2016, 3:42 PM
Call them and talk to them on the phone about any issue, or possible work around on what you have. Anyone you talk to there will either be able to help you, or hook you up with someone who can.

John Grace
02-28-2016, 8:44 PM
Call them and talk to them on the phone about any issue, or possible work around on what you have. Anyone you talk to there will either be able to help you, or hook you up with someone who can.

great idea Tom...thank you, I'll be on the pone with them tomorrow.

Jay Schwartz
03-05-2016, 2:43 PM
Watched Alex with Carter at the Houston Woodworking show last weekend. All their products work like magic in his hands.The stabilizer for blades 1/4" and under is especially impressive..it replaces both upper and lower guides and allows turns like the size of a penny. $79, I think...Watch his videos on Facebook/Carter Products.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Watched Alex with Carter at the Houston Woodworking show last weekend. All their products work like magic in his hands.The stabilizer for blades 1/4" and under is especially impressive..it replaces both upper and lower guides and allows turns like the size of a penny. $79, I think...Watch his videos on Facebook/Carter Products.

I went to that show on Sunday. I have heard that the presenter, Alex Snodgrass, is an expert resource on bandsaws. That reindeer he made was mighty impressive.

Kevin Jenness
03-06-2016, 2:26 AM
I installed the 500 model with side ball bearings on an Aggazani saw and was not impressed. The side guides were not quite parallel and allowed more slop than I liked, and the aluminum body is easy to strip out threads by overzealous crew members. The older style micro precision guides hold more promise but I have not used them. I have an ancient 36" Crescent with Carter guides. The backup bearing is about 2 1/2" diameter and the side guides are hardened steel. It has been fine for my purposes, though the newer models are no doubt easier to adjust..I replaced the upper backup bearing and trued up the side guides once in thirty years.

Mike Cutler
03-06-2016, 9:00 AM
If this is the upgrade for a Delta 14", or similar "clone", I have had them on my Jet 14" bandsaw for a long time now. At least 10+ years.
They were a great improvement over the Jet guides, which were awful as fitted OEM. I did somewhat modify the installation on my Jet though to get the lower guide closer to the throat plate, and decrease the length of unsupported blade.
I don't regret spending the $$$$ on that purchase at all.