PDA

View Full Version : A Stanley Handyman chisel

Ray Selinger
02-27-2016, 11:49 PM
From when I started buying chisels in the early '70s, I always passed on the red and clear/grey plastic handled Stanley Handyman ,and I still do. Then I bought #5002 and #60. But today on a rust hunt I picked up a clear yellow plastic handled 1" Stanley Handyman . I don't remember ever seeing one like this before. The handle was good diameter and long. The blade was well shaped , the flats on the bevels were fairly small, not the heavy lands seen on most chisels. Googling I found on a set on Ebay that I could read the #, model #16-216. Any one have any idea when these were made?

Joe Bailey
02-28-2016, 2:00 AM
They are from the mid-to-late 1980s (possibly earlier) and made for who-knows-how-long. Somewhere I have a set still in the blister pack.
Since I can't find those right now, here are images from a well-known auction site.

Jim Koepke
02-28-2016, 2:51 AM
I know I had one with a yellow plastic handle crumbling away so it was given a wooden handle. Not sure if there is another in an old tool pouch. My recollection is at least one of them had a metal striking spot on the head.

jtk

Tom M King
02-28-2016, 7:59 AM
I never owned one of them, but some of my favorite chisels are the No. 40's sold back then.

Ray Selinger
02-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Part of the fun of rust hunting is tracking down the time frame of the tool.This is very well designed chisel, that was why I was asking about it. This morning I looked closely at the blade, the shaping is better than the one T.H. Whiterby bench chisel I have, on par with the pre-'61 W. Marples&Sons "Splitproof, but not as fine as the Bergs. It's only a butt chisel, a carpenter's tool, so I can't get too excited. The three #60 Stanleys I purchased in '71 as a starting apprentice ,(discount left overs) show that same blade style. The#60s have the shorter black and yellow handles with the metal cap . The Buck Bro. clones are crude in comparison as is a garage sale find #60 1 1/4".

Bill McNiel
02-28-2016, 1:57 PM
I have a set of Stanley #60s that were purchased one at a time in the late 60s-early 70s. Some have clear yellow plastic handles, some have black plastic handles, all have the metal endcap. They are kept sharp and used often.

Jim Koepke
02-28-2016, 5:44 PM
Here is all of my Stanley chisels:

On the left is a #60. The handle is obviously a replacement. Next is a 750 followed by a couple of Handyman by Stanley chisels.

The socket chisels is one of my favorites from the 400 series. The top of the socket is knurled. Not many of these are seen. The next chisel is a later Everlasting handle chisel followed by three bought recently for ~$3 at the local Ace Hardware just to see how they are. They are okay chisels that will go in a tool box when something is needed for dirty work outside the shop.

jtk

Jim Koepke
02-29-2016, 1:35 AM
Due to a problem with old attachments not being viewable from some of my old posts it seemed like it would be a good idea to see if I could find a cutoff date for viewable versus non-viewable.

Came across an old post that has a picture of the yellow handled Stanley before the handle was replaced:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163030-Vintage-Stanley-Plastic-Handled-Chisels

jtk

steven c newman
02-29-2016, 1:49 AM
Would any of these do?
Just old beater chisels...

Stew Denton
02-29-2016, 2:03 AM
Hi Rusty,

I don't know for sure, but believe that Stanley made the #60 chisels in the UK for quite a while, at the same time they continued make them in this country. The small number of UK version I have seen have longer and thicker handles than those made in the USA, and they seem to match what you described above.

Stew

Ray Selinger
02-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Here we see the three Stanleys http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/7/3/vintage-wood-chisels-lot-of-3-de24fe96834be18f434daf8fe9f56044.jpg The yellow one on the end is like the one I found, but without the metal cap. You have to wonder when the chisel manufactures went off the rails . I have found some black handle Sandviks, the old ones are classic Swedish, like fine paring chisels, the newer ones are like any big box cold chisel for wood.

Andrew Joffe
01-01-2024, 4:42 PM
A New Year and time to rejuvenate this thread!!!
Almost 8 years old and no replies but I am here with two chisels I have just bought.

Stanley Handyman chisels made in Canada!!
Wooden handle with the red paint.
They seem to be quite old, maybe 70's??

I also decided to take a very rusty one that you could not see anything except for rust...
Turned out the be an Erik Anton Berg chisel made in Sweden in the 1950's!! Even has the shark engraving!
A very nice find!

Happy New Year!

Edward Weber
01-01-2024, 5:03 PM
Reviving threads, sounds good to me.

like everyone else, I usually shy away from the plastic handled varity.
I do however have a couple of sets of these
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/set-vintage-craftsman-36859-wood-3854318414
Handles are still good, with metal striking cap. I don't know who actually made them for Craftsman but I really like the size and feel of the handles.
These are sort of a blend between a butt and bench chisel.

I've never seen a Erik Anton Berg chisel, looks like a nice tool.