PDA

View Full Version : Delta Jointer mystery part

Bob Hartzel
02-27-2016, 9:58 PM
Hello Sawmill Creek,

I'm a new member posting a question for the first time. I just bought my first jointer, a used Delta DJ-20 8". It looks to be in great condition and very well maintained. This morning I started the process of getting to know my new tool and discovered, just inside the dust collection port, what appears to be a broken off part (see attached photo)...but it looks like nothing in the owners manual or exploded view parts sheet, and I can't find anyplace where it might belong. Does anybody recognize this thing or have any ideas on what it might be? Thanks very much in advance.

Bob H.

joe maday
02-28-2016, 7:23 AM
look at part #84 on a parts diagram, such as on ereplacement parts website...they happen to be
"bumpers" @ $7.61 and luckily are available..but in 9-14 days...order one and/or maybe search around the net for the part number for another that's in stock.

joe maday
02-28-2016, 7:35 AM
Bob, A quick search did not find any in stock and as "discontinued"...But easy enough to fab yourself from brass bar, or even aluminum...they look to be cast, and a "bumper" so I doubt if strength is an issue...maybe even a piece of plastic or wood...the diagram shows the jointer needs 2 so maybe the in-feed table's bumper could be used as a pattern. I would make a replacement and also order from E-replacement Parts and hope the have a source....maybe order two....one for the future.....just saying

Bob Hartzel
02-28-2016, 8:22 AM
look at part #84 on a parts diagram, such as on ereplacement parts website...they happen to be
"bumpers" @ $7.61 and luckily are available..but in 9-14 days...order one and/or maybe search around the net for the part number for another that's in stock.

Excellent...thanks very much! I had that part as a suspect, but my parts diagram didn't show the 45 degree bevel, so couldn't confirm. The ereplacements site is a great resource because they have photos of every part...thanks for the tip.

Bob

Bob Hartzel
02-28-2016, 8:25 AM
That's a great idea. I'm heading into the shop now to locate the bumper on the infeed and come up with a game plan. You guys are awesome, much appreciated!

Bob Hartzel
03-08-2016, 2:04 PM
As Joe M. predicted, it turns out that the bumper is discontinued and impossible to find. I did place an order on ereplacement parts, but it was refunded because the part isn't available. So, before I embark on fabricating a replacement...can anybody confirm just what the heck this thing actually does? What kind of mayhem would I be inviting if I operated the jointer without a replacement? And if anyone has ever replaced one, just how much of a tear-down am I looking at

Bob

Roger Davis
03-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Bob,

I had the same experience with my used Delta DJ-20 jointer. I had to remove the jointer from the stand to move it to my shop. I found the bumper lying on top of the stand and wondered the same thing as you did. I did some research and found that the bumper controls the travel of the positive stop bolts used to hold the settings for table parallelism. Your bumper was broken either by Delta or the previous owner when the infeed and outfeed tables were adjusted for parallelism. Check the bottom of the tables and you will find the other half of the broken bumper attached with two cap screws.

Both the DJ-20 and the Grizzly G0490 were manufactured by Geetech in Taiwan. The bumper can be ordered from Grizzly for less than $2.00. I ordered extra bumpers, cap screws and washers from Grizzly to repair my DJ-20 and have extras on hand.

Roger Davis

Roger Davis
03-09-2016, 12:17 AM
Bob,

Also check the tables for parallelism and adjust as outlined in the Delta or Grizzly manuals.

Roger Davis

Bob Hartzel
03-09-2016, 8:02 AM
Thanks Roger...that's exactly the kind of answer ($2 fix) I was hoping for!

Bob Hartzel
03-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Parts (and spares) successfully ordered from the Griz. Any tips on the replacement process? It looks like I will have to remove the infeed table to get at the broken bumper...or better to to take the entire jointer off the base cabinet?

Roger Davis
03-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Bob,

I first removed the jointer fence components to reduce weight, then unbolted the five cap screws holding the jointer base from the stand. Then had a friend help turn the jointer on it'd side to get at the bottom of the table with the broken bumper. Be careful as the jointer weighs in excess of 150 lbs. A lot of heavy cast iron! No need the remove the table from the jointer base.

Check the other bumpers to see if they are intact or broken and replace as necessary. Delta's and Grizzly's instructions are not clear as to whether the positive adjustment bolts are to be bottomed on the bumper or not during the table parallelism adjustment procedure. That might be a good question for the Grizzly techs as I think you will not get a response from Delta give their lack of customer help and parts availability. Let me know what you find out since we both had broken bumpers.

Roger

Bob Hartzel
03-11-2016, 7:13 PM
Will do. Thanks again Roger. I don't mind figuring out things by sense of smell, but it's always great to get advice from someone who's already been around the barn. I'll let you know what Grizzly support has to say as soon as the bumper arrives.

Bob