PDA

View Full Version : What Epoxy/Filler to use?

Adrian Anguiano
02-27-2016, 8:51 PM
Repairing a pinball head. Removed the top, and going to reglue, but there is some missing wood. What is the best product to use that I can find locally?

DAP Plastic Wood?
2 part epoxy?
JB Weld Kwik Wood?
JB Weld Kwik Weld?
Something Else?

Needs to bond to the other wood and be strong.. so not just a wood filler. Gap is 1/8 to 1/4" in some places.

David Zaret
02-27-2016, 9:15 PM
i'd use west systems two-part, with the thickener... or even the caulk-tube pre-thickened west systems epoxy. both will do a fantastic job, the pre-thickened won't be purple due to the added thickener. not sure if you can find it locally, but for me, i can get it just up the street at a local hardware store...

Adrian Anguiano
02-27-2016, 10:34 PM
thats an expensive system for a small 1 time repair

Allan Speers
02-27-2016, 10:56 PM
That's a lot of area to fill, I'd try to get some replacement wood in there.

Regardless, I really like RayCrete: http://woodworker.com/raycrete-multi-mender-mssu-106-742.asp

It's nice & thick, and looks / works a lot like wood once it has cured. It's kinda' like working with Bondo, but with a lot more strength & a better look.

Harry Holzke
02-27-2016, 11:03 PM
I have used PC 11 for wood and ceramic repair and will fill huge gaps. Sands fairly easy and has very low shrinkage. Comes in small amounts as well.

Adrian Anguiano
02-27-2016, 11:08 PM
That's a lot of area to fill, I'd try to get some replacement wood in there.

Normally I would but if i made a clean cut Its end grain and end grain. If i put in a piece of wood it wouldnt be that great of a glue joint.

Clint Baxter
02-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Have you considered auto body filler?

Clint

Adrian Anguiano
02-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Have you considered auto body filler?

Clint

I have thought about using bondo, since this will be painted. Usually I dont go more than 1/8" with bondo though, and this is about 1/4". And everytime i use bondo it dries in 2 minutes, and with this having to be filled in a tight spot, it worries me with the low viscosity and short working time

Neil Gaskin
02-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Abatron Wood-Epox if you can find it. I believe you can order on Amazon if not locally available. Most paint stores have it by me.

Mike Cutler
02-28-2016, 6:44 AM
Normally I would but if i made a clean cut Its end grain and end grain. If i put in a piece of wood it wouldnt be that great of a glue joint.

Adrian
I'm with Allan, so far as using wood. It would be fairly easy to line up some dowel pins,or rabbet the end grains with a chisel and make a small ship lap joint. Then go over it with a filler to smooth it out for painting.
Any epoxy system/fill is going to be fairly expensive for such a small fix. You will have no support for the epoxy and rely solely on adhesion on three sides.
If you could affix a backer board underneath the void area, than a tube of "Quick-Wood will do what you need, and it's readily available to Home Depot, Lowe's etc. A tube is about $6.00, but you need to provide a little bit of support.

I have a co worker that restores pinball machines. He's getting ready for a show in Mass.
I'll show him the pic, and ask him how he would do it.

Bill McNiel
02-28-2016, 1:32 PM
I would use, and have used, West System two part epoxy. 105 with either the 205 or 207 hardener and filler if you choose. Check out their website it is pretty informative.