PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley's new glue pot

Malcolm Schweizer
02-27-2016, 4:21 PM
Well first of all, I am still alive. I took a little break but have been lurking. Aside from just needing a break from posting, I have been very busy with a 180-year-old home and almost 3-year-old daughter, plus a job where I travel a lot. Oh, plus I got Chickungunya. Look it up. It makes Zika look tame. It leaves you feeling arthritic for weeks and bounces back every now and then for months. Now I am back in the shop.

I found myself looking for an excuse to take advantage of free shipping from Lee Valley (which for me they give a discount on overseas shipping- still cool) and had two drawbore pins in my cart when I remembered I had not checked the "what's new" in a while. Hey what's this- a new glue pot? ...and it's stainless? ...and a glue warming pad! I couldn't click fast enough.

It arrived today, and in true Malcolm fashion I opened the box in the car in the post office parking lot. I see all the stuff, but what is in this tiny little box? Did I order some jewelry? Oh my- it's the glue pot! Does it expand when wet like those sponge toys you got as a kid? Okay, so I didn't really read the fine print... Okay- perhaps bold print- which clearly stated that this was 3" diameter and holds about 1 ounce of glue. It's the cutest little glue pot I ever saw. It looks like a doll house miniature compared to my monster #2 pot. That said, I do like the idea of being able to do small batches. I also love the integrated flip-up lid. I lost the lid to my glue pot a long time ago.

The warming pad works as described. I put a professional grade chef's thermometer in the pot and it did reach and remain at precisely 140*F. It took forever to heat the tiny bit of water but once heated it stayed at the advertised temperature. My tap water is at 82*F to start and it took a good 20 or 30 minutes to come up to 140. In the future I will start with hot water from the tap already at 120. The unfortunate thing is this warmer is too small for my No 2 glue pot. The warming element itself is 3.5" diameter. My large pot is just a bit wider than that at the bottom. Since there is a raised lip around the element you can't just let it overhang because the lip raises the pot above the element.

I am still happy. The pot is way smaller than expected but holds plenty to assemble a chair. You can always add more glue. I may end up preferring the small size. I hope they make a size up from this for folks doing large pieces like large marquetry or big tenons.

Pics show LV pot and warmer next to my aluminum No 2 glue pot with ruler for size comparison.

Jebediah Eckert
02-27-2016, 6:11 PM
Welcome back Malcolm, I always enjoy yours posts. I was wondering where you went.

Rick Whitehead
02-27-2016, 7:48 PM
Thanks for posting that, Malcom!
This glue pot from Lee Valley would be the ideal size for me, since I only use a small amount at a time.
I do a lot of antique furniture repair with hot hide glue. I usually use a glass baby bottle and a small crock pot to heat the glue. The Lee Valley glue pot would be so much easier to use!
Thanks,
Rick

Chris Hachet
02-27-2016, 8:29 PM
Welcome back!

Frederick Skelly
02-27-2016, 9:20 PM
Welcome back Malcolm! Glad you're feeling better!
Fred

Christopher Charles
02-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Good to hear from you Malcolm and glad to hear you're recovering. Thanks for the shots of the glue pot--seems like a great size for many projects. Will look forward to seeing it in action.