PDA

View Full Version : Qualalac satin drying gloss

Alex Horvath
02-27-2016, 3:20 PM
Hi,

I had some 2+ year old Qualalac satin. Sprayed it and it dried gloss. So I bought a fresh can, still dried gloss even though I stirred it real well and could even see the flattener on the bottom of the can before stirring. It's been a week since I sprayed and it's still gloss.

In any case from what I can tell most finishers shoot gloss and then rub to satin. The only reason I did not really consider this is because the apron on my table is carved.
So should I just go over this with some steel wool? It might be a little difficult to get in all the grooves and crevices but I don't really have a choice as I already have too many coats on this.

I know Behlen recommends their wool lube but is that necessary or is there a substitute?

Thanks332587

Scott Holmes
02-29-2016, 9:37 PM
Satin finished MUST be mixed very thoroughly. I shake 'em on a paint shaker or use a drill with a paint mixer to get the flatten agent properly suspended in the finish. Many will tell you, "you can't shake" because of bubbles; I do it all the time; proper application techniques do not add bubbles they eliminate most bubbles.

Check your can I'll bet there's a white layer on the bottom of the can... the flattening agent.