PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 ???

Al Launier
02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
I know many of you have already upgraded (?) to W10. I'm now about to do the same myself, but still have some (?) reservations. I currently have W8.1 & actually like it. However, I have some questions if you don't mind answering:

Have there been many updates to W10 since its introduction?
Will I lose any files currently on my HD if I install W10?
Do I have to back up my HD before installing W10?
Will I still be able to run MS Office 2007 (Word/Excel/Access/Powerpoint) with W10?
Has W10 been a reliable OS?
Will my AV software (Kaspersky Total Security) work smoothly with W10? I suspect it will.
Will I be able to use the drivers I currently have (printer, etc.)?
Anything else to be considered?

Mike Henderson
02-27-2016, 11:00 AM
I upgraded to Win 10 and have had no problems at all. Everything works.

Mike

Al Launier
02-27-2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks Mike,
Did you have to do any of the things I was concerned about?

Lee Schierer
02-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Your personal files should all be fine. Some drivers may need to be updated or reinstalled with windows 10. I had to reinstall the drivers for my Canon scanner to get it to work the way it used to before the upgrade.

The only problem I've had is with my laptop that is not on all the time. When I turn it on and it boots up, if you start trying to do things as soon as your desk top appears, sometimes the windows start button quits working. This makes all your programs except those you can see on your desktop inaccessible. You have to hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the task manger to exit and reboot. Rebooting generally fixes the problem. You can avoid the problem by waiting an additional 30-40 seconds after the desk top opens or until the little blue circle quits showing the system is doing something before accessing anything.

mike holden
02-27-2016, 1:11 PM
I know many of you have already upgraded (?) to W10. I'm now about to do the same myself, but still have some (?) reservations. I currently have W8.1 & actually like it. However, I have some questions if you don't mind answering:

Have there been many updates to W10 since its introduction?
Will I lose any files currently on my HD if I install W10?
Do I have to back up my HD before installing W10?
Will I still be able to run MS Office 2007 (Word/Excel/Access/Powerpoint) with W10?
Has W10 been a reliable OS?
Will my AV software (Kaspersky Total Security) work smoothly with W10? I suspect it will.
Will I be able to use the drivers I currently have (printer, etc.)?
Anything else to be considered?

1. Yes, but they are downloaded and installed automatically (with 10 updates are mandatory, you do NOT get a choice - like apple ipads or kindles)
2. Maybe, programs that MS thinks dont play well with 10 will be deleted, data files are left alone
3. Backups are ALWAYS a good idea
4. If you do a full install of Win10, the installation will remove office, but not data. Reinstall and it will work fine. Why does MS do this? Dunno.
5. Yes
6. Dont know
7. Maybe
8. Make a backup, Do an update to 10, if things are hinky, then do a full upgrade to 10. It is a bit of a hassle, but my experience is that when the dust settles everything just works.

YMMV, Mike

Judson Green
02-27-2016, 1:13 PM
I haven't upgraded to 10, my new laptop came with it preinstalled, so questions regarding the upgrade ive no reference.

But, ive had an issue with McAfee stealing focus. dont know if other anti virus apps are better than mcafee in this regard

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?239652-Active-to-inactive-window-in-Windows-10

all in all i like it

Shawn Pixley
02-27-2016, 1:23 PM
1. Yes, but they are downloaded and installed automatically (with 10 updates are mandatory, you do NOT get a choice - like apple ipads or kindles)
2. Maybe, programs that MS thinks dont play well with 10 will be deleted, data files are left alone
3. Backups are ALWAYS a good idea
4. If you do a full install of Win10, the installation will remove office, but not data. Reinstall and it will work fine. Why does MS do this? Dunno.
5. Yes
6. Dont know
7. Maybe
8. Make a backup, Do an update to 10, if things are hinky, then do a full upgrade to 10. It is a bit of a hassle, but my experience is that when the dust settles everything just works.

YMMV, Mike

Mike,

good advice. However, iPhones and iPads absoluteley give you the choice to install updates or not. It is not automatic.

Jerome Stanek
02-27-2016, 2:04 PM
Just had an update that prevented my computer from starting got that sorted out and the my wives did the same thing it changed the bios to try and load legacy drivers and the hard drive no longer was recognized. I have a Lenovo and it is hard to enter the bios but my wives is a Dell and got in real easy once in I just change the drive back to UEFI

Curt Harms
02-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Your personal files should all be fine. Some drivers may need to be updated or reinstalled with windows 10. I had to reinstall the drivers for my Canon scanner to get it to work the way it used to before the upgrade.

The only problem I've had is with my laptop that is not on all the time. When I turn it on and it boots up, if you start trying to do things as soon as your desk top appears, sometimes the windows start button quits working. This makes all your programs except those you can see on your desktop inaccessible. You have to hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the task manger to exit and reboot. Rebooting generally fixes the problem. You can avoid the problem by waiting an additional 30-40 seconds after the desk top opens or until the little blue circle quits showing the system is doing something before accessing anything.

Hasn't that been the case since about Win 9x? Once the desktop appears it's flick flick ....... flick ......... flick flick flick. A solution for having to wait? SSD (solid state drive). Going from spinny HD to SSD made some difference booting Ubuntu linux, about halved the boot time. It made a HUGE difference booting Windows, about 20 seconds from start to usable.

Allan Speers
02-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Re #6:

The first thing I'd recommend, after installing Win10, is to disconnect from the internet, then turn off "Defender." note: It will auromatically come back on when you restart, so if you decide to keep it off I would) then follow these instructions:
http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-Turn-Off-Windows-Defender-Permanently-in-Windows-10-01350

runing this free app makes it quick and easy:

Download NoDefender from here: https://www.freeware.de/?dl=290483

So why do this? Defender doesn't just find "suspicious" software, it literally deletes it from your drive, without even asking for your permission. IMO it's ridiculous, and you're much better off running Kaspersky, etc. (Also run the free Microsoft malicious software removal tool a LOT. It gets upodated about once a month.)

-----------------------

## ALSO:

Do yourself a HUGE favor and do a full, clean install of Win10, not an update. You should have all your data backed up anyway, and on at least TWO external drives. (I'm fond of Acronis backup software, though I'm a power user and you might prefer something simpler.) Once fully backed-up:

Buy or obtain the Win10 installer iso file. Put it on your desktop.

Download the free version of "RUFUS" https://rufus.akeo.ie Install that also on your desktop.

Connect a spare, empty usb drive of at least 8 GB to your PC, then use Rufus to reformat it and to install the Win10 ISO. (Instructions are easy to find if needed.)

------

Now you have your bootable USB Win10 installer.

### IMPORTANT: When you go to install the new OS, before picking the language you want, etc, you should first do a low-level format of the boot drive, even if it's an SSD. This is done in Linnux, using fairly simple commands right from the Win10 installation screen. The process uses a command called "diskpart." Nothing to download this time, it's already in there, waiting for you.

If you can't find the procedure online, let me know and I'll post it here.

Once your new OS is installed, let it auto-update all drivers, etc. Then IMMEDIATELY turn off defender !!!!! Then download the Microsoft malicious tool removal app, then disconnect from the internet. Run this app in "deep" mode.

Now re-install off of your apps. I HIGHY recommend doing this manually, as any existing problems would have been copied & re-installed by the cloning / backup software. (including any invisible "App Data" if required.) Pure "cloning" is for Mom & Pop and is quite foolish unless you are pressed for time.

Next, manually replace all of your data.

Last: Install your anti-malware of choice, they reconnect to the internet if you need to with this machine.

===================

FWIW, I find Win10 to be miles better than Win8, and slightly more streamlined / more efficient than win7. I absolutely love it. I haven't even felt the need to install an alternate, third-party GUI.

Lee Schierer
02-28-2016, 3:07 PM
Hasn't that been the case since about Win 9x? Once the desktop appears it's flick flick ....... flick ......... flick flick flick. A solution for having to wait? SSD (solid state drive). Going from spinny HD to SSD made some difference booting Ubuntu linux, about halved the boot time. It made a HUGE difference booting Windows, about 20 seconds from start to usable.

No, this problem never occurred on my laptop until I installed W10. I had W-7 before I upgraded.