PDA

View Full Version : High Quality Slider Saw (bevel)

Mike OMelia
02-26-2016, 8:56 PM
Something I saw got me thinking. Almost all of my work is guitar making. I use my hitachi refurb chop saw a lot. But I'd like to investigate more versatile models. I like the 10" blade. Would like slider for wider cuts. Lighted work area and lasers. But frankly I've been seeing stuff that worries me with regards to bearings and blade wobble. Suggestions?

Mark Dodson
02-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Festool Kapex

Mike OMelia
02-27-2016, 9:37 PM
Well, yes, there is always Festool

Jim Andrew
02-28-2016, 12:59 PM
My machinist buddy is really impressed with the design of the Bosch.

Larry Copas
02-28-2016, 3:19 PM
I had a Bosch slider for a long time. Its a great carpenter saw and never gave me a problem, although I never liked the laser. When a sliding table table saw came into my life, I quit using the Bosch and eventually sold it. The sliding table saw was faster with greater accuracy and just plain easier to use.

I would never go back, even if it said Kapex on the side.

Mike OMelia
02-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Somebody suggested the Milwaukee. Uses led side lighting. Shadow marks the spot. But if I'm correct, only a 12"?

glenn bradley
02-29-2016, 8:58 AM
I'm not a luthier but, I would think we are talking about mostly small pieces of material here. I abandoned the chop saw format over a decade ago and use sleds on the tablesaw. With a few purpose specific jigs, stops or holddowns you can get real precision, repeatable work done very safely. Now that I have tried to speak to an area I am unskilled in . . . I will fall silent :o.

Mike OMelia
03-02-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm not a luthier. I'm a woodworker that happens to make guitars😏

Chop saws have their place in guitar building. Neck and tail blocks. Brace trimming. Finger board sizing. Peghead plate sizing. I have a table saw. Rather use a chop saw. For cutting multiples of a piece. For squaring.

Robert Engel
03-03-2016, 7:52 AM
I've been looking at them for a while. IMO it would come down to DeWalt or Bosch.

I refuse to get sucked into the Fespool.................even if I could afford them......................I won't go there.

Seriously, I think the Bosch is better due to the mechanism. I think sliders are more prone to maladjustment.

There are several good reviews I would check Fine WW'ing.

I believe they ranked the Bosch highest but dissed it for poor dust collection.
The Ridgid was right up there with DeWalt.

peter gagliardi
03-03-2016, 8:19 AM
Somebody suggested the Milwaukee. Uses led side lighting. Shadow marks the spot. But if I'm correct, only a 12"?
I was at a contractor friends shop, and got to see and inspect a Milwaulkee for the first time.
I was wholly less than impressed! Huge footprint, and engineering design was poor to say the least. Looked marginally strong and accurate enough for framing lumber. Anything needing more accuracy would be asking a bit much from it.
But it was shiny and red.