PDA

View Full Version : Gifted a planer

John Cascone
02-26-2016, 8:25 PM
My first time posting though I have been trolling the forum for awhile. I cannot figure the picture posting procedure but from looking at the Grizzly catalog and some pictures on line the planer I received appears to be a Grizzly, though older than the current models. It is Grizzly green or very close, has a 12" bed, the small bolts holding a brace of some type that supports the blade and handles on the side that appears on the newer Grizzly models.
Any help, advice or direction to go in finding out would be appreciated. I emailed Grizzly customer service, with pics, earlier today and got no response - as of yet. Any pics of older Grizzly bench top planers would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Matt Day
02-26-2016, 10:37 PM
There should be a model number or at least something on it somewhere which will help a lot in identifying what it is. So far you've told us it's green.

Try a google image search for "old grizzly benchtop planer".

Lee Schierer
02-27-2016, 8:22 AM
Posting photos is pretty easy. In the post writing window click on the little picture frame and another small window will open. You can either browse your computer for the photo file and up load it or select the URL tab for a photo that already exists somewhere on the internet. If you select a photo file on your computer it is best if the file is 1 megabyte or less so that it can be uploaded and resized. SMC will automatically resize your photo to the 107 Kbyte limit. If you get an error while uploading it is most likely because your photo file was too large. Resize your photo with your own photo editing software to make the file size smaller and it should upload.

John Schweikert
02-27-2016, 9:56 AM
If you can find the model number then lookup the the PDF manual here: http://www.grizzly.com/manuals

David Tolsky
02-29-2016, 5:50 PM
My first time posting though I have been trolling the forum for awhile. I cannot figure the picture posting procedure but from looking at the Grizzly catalog and some pictures on line the planer I received appears to be a Grizzly, though older than the current models. It is Grizzly green or very close, has a 12" bed, the small bolts holding a brace of some type that supports the blade and handles on the side that appears on the newer Grizzly models.
Any help, advice or direction to go in finding out would be appreciated. I emailed Grizzly customer service, with pics, earlier today and got no response - as of yet. Any pics of older Grizzly bench top planers would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Grizzly's customer service has been pretty good any time I've had to use it. I have emailed pics of my older 16" bandsaw that they've been able to identify and give me blade size. If it is a Grizzly machine, wait a bit and they should get back to you. Also, if you have a cell phone call them up and take a pic of the machine while talking to them and message it in. Grizzly likes their customers and wants them to keep coming back.

Larry Browning
02-29-2016, 6:27 PM
Is the green color your only clue that it is a Grizzly? There are several other mfg that use a similar shade of green. General is one that comes to mind. I am sure there are others. You really should do a close inspection looking for some sort of nameplate or marking that will identify the mfg and model. I nice clear picture would be very helpful. If you follow Lee's directions it is really pretty easy to do. Probably the hardest part is resizing a large photo file, but that too is pretty simple. Let us know if you have trouble doing that and someone will help you with that as well.

Wes Ramsey
03-01-2016, 9:59 AM
I've got an older Grizzly 2hp dust collector that doesn't have a model number on the plate. Grizzly CS couldn't tell me what model it was over the phone, but we figured it was close enough to one of the current models to order a new filter bag. It worked, but I still don't know what model it is. The plate only has a serial #, but it does say Grizzly. It is a lighter green than my newer Grizzly tools, but some of the Harbor Freight tools are a lighter shade of Grizz green, too.

Matt Day
03-01-2016, 11:13 AM
These threads are tough when the OP doesn't post back.

Larry Browning
03-01-2016, 1:03 PM
These threads are tough when the OP doesn't post back.
Agreed. This is his first post too. Maybe he doesn't realize how active SMC is and figures it will be a week or so before someone actually answers his post.

John Cascone
03-03-2016, 9:00 PM
Sorry, but between work and an ongoing project haven't been on the computer much. After much searching I identified it as a Grizzly 1017, ordered new blades, which were delivered today, and a depth scale to help measure my cuts. It was more than the green that convinced me - similar hand holds on the side, the weight and similar brush inserts to the newer models. It will be in prime working order soon. Thanks for your help!

John Cascone
03-03-2016, 9:01 PM
BTW Grizzly did get back to me but only after I called tech support and ended up with Patrick walking me through a bunch of things to verify its bona fides and helping me order the parts.