PDA

View Full Version : Having issue matching a stain

ron defino
02-26-2016, 8:02 PM
I'm building my first kitchen island. I used cabinet grade maple (believe it's hard maple) plywood for the cabinet. For the face frame I used Hard maple boards. I'm test staining the some extra maple plywood from the same sheet as the cabinet. I'm using a tansist dye first, I let it dry for about 5mins, let I apply a mixture of General finishes dye stain. I have the color I like on the maple plywood, but when I preform the same on the maple boards for the faceframe, but the color does come out the same.

Any thoughts on how to get them to match? Maybe a pre-seal conditioner?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Paul F Franklin
02-26-2016, 10:18 PM
It's often tough to get a good match between solid HW and Ply. Is it a matter of shade (light or dark) or actual color? If the solid wood is lighter, you may want to try stopping sanding at a courser grit, or sanding the plywood to a finer grit.

John TenEyck
02-26-2016, 10:28 PM
You are having a typical problem when using plywood and solid wood together on the same project. Some of the problem is that the veneer cutting process changes how the wood absorbs dye, some of it is because the wood didn't come from the same tree, some of it could be because you didn't sand the solid wood as fine as the plywood, or you sanded it too fine, and some it is probably due to something else. Anyway, it happens more often than not, and usually it's the plywood that ends up darker. The solution is to use different dye concentrations on the plywood and solid wood, or to the same concentration but allow the dye to stay on the lighter wood for a longer period of time before you wipe off the excess, or to spray the dye on and put more coats on the lighter wood, whichever that is. Sometimes, you even have to use a different dye blend for them.

All you can do is keep testing on your scraps until you get a satisfactory result. Keep really good notes so you know what you did. I'm not sure there's much benefit to using both Transtint (or TransFast) dye (sorry but your post is garbled) and then GF's dye stain. I would just use the dye stain. If you need to adjust its color you can add either TT or TF dye directly to it, or blend the GF dye stains which it sounds like you are doing. Hope some of that helps.

John