PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Curve on Melamine

Scott Welty
02-26-2016, 6:02 PM
I have a plan to cut some melamine shelves with a concave curve on one side. I worry about chip out of course. My two ideas are to cut close to the line on band saw and then drum sand to the line as I would do with wood, or cut close to the line and then trim to the line with a trim bit in router following a pattern piece I afix to the work.

Standing by...

Scott

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-26-2016, 6:21 PM
Either will work, but the router will probably be faster.

Jerry Miner
02-27-2016, 4:12 AM
I would take the router route also---easier to get a smooth curve

I like to make a custom sanding block from scrap cut with the same curve for hand-sanding the pattern-- keeps you from getting "flat spots" on the pattern.

Frederick Skelly
02-27-2016, 6:43 AM
I haven't tried either way, so I'd probably take a piece of scap and try both to see which gave me a better (more chip free) edge. My gut says the router will cause more a little more chip out, but I'd definitely give it a try to see.

Please let us know what you use and how the edge comes out Scott.

Good luck!
Fred

John TenEyck
02-27-2016, 9:35 AM
Router with a compression cutting bit will give you a chip out free result on both sides.

John

Marty Schlosser
02-27-2016, 9:48 AM
I've done a lot of curves with melamine and recommend you go the router route. However, be careful with bandsawing too close to the edge, which is notorious for chiping out the bottom side. I'd saw no closer than 3/16" from the final line. Use a pattern router bit (and preferrably one with down cut, spiral flutes), to follow the edge of the jig you'll need to make. Incidentally, make that jig as precisely as possible, as the pattern bit will follow whatever shape it is that you've created.

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-27-2016, 10:21 AM
You don't need to spend the money for a compression bit for a few shelves. A sharp, 2 flute carbide tipped bit will cut just as cleanly as a compression bit in this application.

Hoang N Nguyen
02-27-2016, 12:46 PM
You don't need to spend the money for a compression bit for a few shelves. A sharp, 2 flute carbide tipped bit will cut just as cleanly as a compression bit in this application.

Agree with Gerry. I just had about 100 pieces cut from 3 sheets of melamine yesterday with a straight fluted carbide bit using the CNC machine at work. The pieces came out perfect with zero tear out. about 20 of those pieces were inside curve pieces just like what you are trying to do, the other 80 pieces where trim profile pieces.

Frank Drackman
02-27-2016, 2:28 PM
I would make a template and then use the trim bit with the router.

Scott Welty
02-27-2016, 3:09 PM
OK! Thanks gang. I'm going with the router but just for future reference what exactly is a compression bit?

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-27-2016, 4:11 PM
A spiral bit that has an upcut section at the tip, with the rest being downcut. Both parts of the bit cut towards the core of the sheet when making a full depth cut, minimizing chipping. They are typically used mostly with CNC routers.