PDA

View Full Version : Best Handtool Laugh I've had in a long time.

Michael Fross
02-26-2016, 7:50 AM
From the Part Time Woodworker...

Chris Hachet
02-26-2016, 8:15 AM
Thankfully I have two sons for them to be passed down to...but yeah...this made me laugh also!

Brian Ashton
02-28-2016, 3:03 AM
My wife knows what I pay for my tools cause she's bought a few of them for me. But if I die before her and she unloads them cheap I've told her I'll come back and haunt her for the rest of her life.

Tony Zaffuto
02-28-2016, 8:12 AM
My wife knows what I pay for my tools cause she's bought a few of them for me. But if I die before her and she unloads them cheap I've told her I'll come back and haunt her for the rest of her life.

My wife has bought me many tools, guys she has spoken to at LN and LV have been great in leading her. I have also shown her and my daughters what is valuable in my shop (hundreds and hundreds of plumb bobs, with no two alike, the saw that has some sort of animal carved on the handle, looks like a cat or panther, the nearly complete shelf of planes made by Stanley made from some gray colored lightweight material, similar to or maybe is aluminum, or the planes that seem to have been labeled for use in the Flintstones).

Do yourself a favor and get some small adhesive dots of different colors and explain to your heirs what color denotes value and color code your accmulation.

Bill McNiel
02-28-2016, 1:50 PM
My wife is not an issue as she had a fairly nice woodshop of her own when we met and knows the use and value of my tools. I am leaving my entire shop to my son including $5K to move it. I have been developing a binder with info about all the specialty tools and accessories as well as the monetary value of each. I also have the manuals for virtually every tool I own in files.

Linda and I were in Woodcraft a couple of weeks ago and she asked "are there any more Festool toys you need or want?" Three "gentlemen" came over and proposed to her.

I do know a couple of guys who are very much in danger of suffering the fate of this poster.

Tom Bussey
02-28-2016, 2:56 PM
My wife knows I have a lot invested in tools and a Son-in Law who will go above and beyond to take care of her, if she is put in that position. When I asked about getting a new General table saw, not general international, She said we didn't have that kind of money but we could go talk to the bank. I know a lot of men don't exactly lie but hedge the truth. And to this I say if you build for her and get the projects out of the shop and into the home She will find money that isn't there for you to get tools equipment and wood.

Patrick Chase
02-28-2016, 5:29 PM
My wife has bought me many tools, guys she has spoken to at LN and LV have been great in leading her. I have also shown her and my daughters what is valuable in my shop (hundreds and hundreds of plumb bobs, with no two alike, the saw that has some sort of animal carved on the handle, looks like a cat or panther, the nearly complete shelf of planes made by Stanley made from some gray colored lightweight material, similar to or maybe is aluminum

You had me in violent agreement right up to where you mentioned those A-series planes. I agree with Patrick Leach's learned opinion (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#numa4) on those.

Tony Zaffuto
02-28-2016, 6:26 PM
I've never took one of the "A's" to wood however! Actually, wife saw me looking at one at an antique store about a decade ago, and it showed up at home on my next birhday. Like all things tools, they multiply themselves like rabbits! They are interesting coversation pieces, and affordable for their rarity.

Brian Ashton
02-28-2016, 8:57 PM
I know this is sort of vane in that I am taking tickets out on myself but I'm proud of the result. Years ago I was trolling ebay and saw a number of auctions from a lady who was selling the tools of her recently passed away husband... Most if not all the ads she had posted were mislabeled and the descriptions somewhat vague. She simply had no idea what she was putting up, and the bids reflected that. I contacted her and told her to withdraw all the auctions and gave her a list of titles to include with each of the relisted items. I checked back a couple weeks later and it was very satisfying to see the bids sky rocketed by comparison to what she was getting before. I've seen a number of guys who have ads or have websites where they say they buy tools and for the most part they're parasites who prey on the ignorant or the desperate (widows). What they do is nothing short of criminal. Everyone likes a deal but to take advantage of an old person like they do is disgusting.

Stew Denton
02-29-2016, 12:23 AM
Brian,

Good for you on helping the lady who was a widow. We need to do those kind of things. I agree with you about those who take advantage of widows and desperate people.....that kind is a major low life.

Stew

William Adams
02-29-2016, 10:08 AM
One of the saddest things in my life is that when my Great Aunt’s Bridge partner’s husband’s shop was rented out after his passing, I wasn’t in a position to take advantage of it, or position myself to buy the tools.

It kills me that no one in the family valued the tools or was willing to make use of them.

At least I have a jobbing toolbox which he had made — bought it at the yard sale after the widow had terminated the rental agreement and tried to prosecute the renter for stealing all the tools.