PDA

View Full Version : Variable Angle Fence for Veritas Skew Rabbet

Robert Hartmann
02-26-2016, 7:08 AM
I'm considering buying the Skew Rabbet plane from Veritas. They have a fairly new fence (Variable Angle Fence for Veritas Rabbet Planes) for it that I'm also considering. Has anyone purchased/used the fence? Looking for some thoughts on it.

I've been a power tool user for a while and just recently moved to powerless. I've accumulated quite a bit of hand tools both new and vintage in the last year (thanks to the sale of my 68 Chevelle SS) and this seems useful for an upcoming project. I have a $250 gift cert from Santa just dying to be used. I'm not looking for ways to spend money. I just want something useful for now as a novice and as I get more experience. Would I regret buying the fence?

Mike Holbrook
02-26-2016, 10:03 AM
Robert, I just bought the skew rabbet myself. Thanks for pointing out the variable angle fence. I was not aware of this option. I had to do a little looking around on the LV web site to find it. They do not mention it on the page about the skew rabbet itself. It looks like a good option for doing the raised panels I am about to start on.

I have a few questions though for anyone who may have one. It looks, from the description & pictures like it is necessary to have the 11" fence arms to use it? It also appears that there is a new variable angle fence for Veritas Bench planes, which I assume means rabbet and bench planes use different fences? The variable angle fence for bench planes has a picture showing a custom plane. The description says "It mounts with stainless-steel thumbscrews to the tapped holes in the sides of our custom bench planes, shooting plane, bevel-up jointer plane and jack rabbet plane." Danged if I didn't recently buy a special fence for my BU jointer......guess I need to sort through all the options too. I have the BUS & LA Jack too...

Patrick Chase
02-26-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm considering buying the Skew Rabbet plane from Veritas. They have a fairly new fence (Variable Angle Fence for Veritas Rabbet Planes) for it that I'm also considering. Has anyone purchased/used the fence? Looking for some thoughts on it.

I've been a power tool user for a while and just recently moved to powerless. I've accumulated quite a bit of hand tools both new and vintage in the last year (thanks to the sale of my 68 Chevelle SS) and this seems useful for an upcoming project. I have a $250 gift cert from Santa just dying to be used. I'm not looking for ways to spend money. I just want something useful for now as a novice and as I get more experience. Would I regret buying the fence?

I have that fence. It's made to Veritas' usual standards, and the angle adjustment locks up tight with minimal effort. It's fairly long, which can be good or bad depending on what you're doing.

Rob Lee
02-26-2016, 10:59 AM
I have a few questions though for anyone who may have one. It looks, from the description & pictures like it is necessary to have the 11" fence arms to use it? It also appears that there is a new variable angle fence for Veritas Bench planes, which I assume means rabbet and bench planes use different fences? The variable angle fence for bench planes has a picture showing a custom plane. The description says "It mounts with stainless-steel thumbscrews to the tapped holes in the sides of our custom bench planes, shooting plane, bevel-up jointer plane and jack rabbet plane." Danged if I didn't recently buy a special fence for my BU jointer......guess I need to sort through all the options too. I have the BUS & LA Jack too...

Mike -

The difference between two models of Variable Fence is that the bench version mounts directly to the tapped holes in the side of our bench planes, while the rabbet version mounts on the fence rods. The rabbet fence will work with the standard rabbet plane fence rods - though the optional 6" rods make it possible to add thicker or specialized fences to the standard fence, or the variable fence, should you need to. I can't see a real need for the longer rods in combination with the variable fence....

Cheers -

Rob

Mike Holbrook
02-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the update Patrick and Rob.

Had I done a little more research I probably would have seen the differences in the two systems, but thanks Rob for clearing that up.

So I guess I will to go to that LV place and order me a fence so I don't have to make one before I can start making my storm doors. Good to know that I probably do not need the longer rods with the new fence, makes sense as the fence is fairly wide and the longer rods are probably more useful for home made, thicker, wooden angle jigs.