PDA

View Full Version : From The Lathe To The Garden

David Delo
02-25-2016, 9:30 PM
That's our local chapter instant gallery theme for next month's meeting. Other than possibly some sort of a weed pot idea, I've not a clue what else might make an appropriate entry. Any ideas??????

Glenn Barber
02-25-2016, 9:51 PM
A useful tool is called a Garden Dibbler.....very English ol' chap!

Michael Schneider
02-25-2016, 10:11 PM
maybe a scoop for potting soil

Tom Wilson66
02-25-2016, 10:15 PM
I turned some little wooden mice out of cypress. Not very useful in the garden, but they look cute. Could also do some mushrooms

John K Jordan
02-25-2016, 10:24 PM
I've made a bunch of dibbles and gardeners love them. I like to cut grooves every inch for depth measurement. Also sometimes called dibber, dibbler. How about making a set of different sizes, off axis turning for interesting shapes, a matching set made from a variety of woods or decorated differently.

Could also make some strong round stakes with knobs on the top. I use stakes at the corners of garden sections to keep hoses from being pulled over the plants. A knob on the top could let the stake extend less above the ground and keep the hose from slipping off.

JKJ

Reed Gray
02-25-2016, 11:14 PM
I turned some fence post type finials out of 4 by 4 and 6 by 6 cedar ends. Used kind of an oriental style to them. Spheres look good, and a hedge hog or two. Sand blast or wire brush to raise the grain, or just let them sit... Stuck them in corners of raised beds. I guess you could to a hollow form type bird feeder too. Might have to glue up, or use turnings as end caps for thistle seeds. Humming bird feeders?

robo hippy

David Delo
02-26-2016, 6:59 AM
nice ideas..........thanks for your input everyone.

Dick Strauss
02-26-2016, 8:56 AM
Bring in the shavings and call it mulch! ;)

Seriously though, how about a bird house?

Brian Myers
02-26-2016, 9:35 AM
Bring in the shavings and call it mulch! ;)

+1 but make it a pickup bed full

Rich Sabulsky
02-26-2016, 10:24 AM
A small garden stool would also be a fun project if you want to get that deeply into it. They have 2 "usual" shapes - one is rather like a drum (hollowed and perforated), the other is a mushroom shape. They are normally ceramic or metal, but artistic license applies here. If you put "garden stool" into google images, you'll get the idea.

glenn bradley
02-26-2016, 11:25 AM
The other Glenn beat me to it. Dibbler was my knee-jerk reaction.