PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3-31 lubrication?

Jamie Buxton
02-25-2016, 8:47 PM
I have a first-generation A3-31 that's fifteen years old. When I lower the planer table, it judders and squeals a bit, like it would like lubrication. Does anybody know how to do that?

Brian Lamb
02-25-2016, 8:58 PM
Not sure how the Hammer system works, could be a central post, could be four smaller posts at each corner. On my Felder you can lift the rubber accordion boots and apply grease to the threaded shafts. You might also try leaving the lock just slightly on, with a little drag a lot of times the shuddering goes away.

Look at your parts list to see how things work and are assembled, it might help determine where and how to lubricate.

Jamie Buxton
02-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Not sure how the Hammer system works, could be a central post, could be four smaller posts at each corner. On my Felder you can lift the rubber accordion boots and apply grease to the threaded shafts. You might also try leaving the lock just slightly on, with a little drag a lot of times the shuddering goes away.

Look at your parts list to see how things work and are assembled, it might help determine where and how to lubricate.

It is a single post, about 4" in diameter. The post is a hollow pipe. As best I can tell, there's a threaded shaft in the middle, driven by the hand crank. There must be a threaded hole in the chassis near the bottom that the threaded shaft rotates in. I think that's what wants lubrication. But I can't figure out how to get lube to it; it is surrounded by the post.

John Gornall
02-27-2016, 11:07 AM
Assuming that the planer table mechanism in the older model is the same or similar to the current model the instruction manual (available on line) says to crank the table to the top, clean old grease off the spindle and threaded rod, apply new grease, and then crank down and up to spread the grease.

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2016, 2:05 PM
Assuming that the planer table mechanism in the older model is the same or similar to the current model the instruction manual (available on line) says to crank the table to the top, clean old grease off the spindle and threaded rod, apply new grease, and then crank down and up to spread the grease.

Hmmm. Maybe the current model is different from old model. I can't see the threaded rod, even when I crank the table to the top.

John Gornall
02-27-2016, 3:26 PM
Looking at some picture it looks like the screw is inside the column. Appears there is a bearing supporting the shaft from the hand wheel in the main column. i suggest you lubricate the main column as it appears to slide in a casting - metal to metal. You may be able to see the bottom of the shaft and screw by removing the drive cover at the back of the machine.

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Access through the back was such a promising idea that I ran down to the shop to try it. There's an access panel on the back, but it only gets to the step-down pulleys that drive the feed rollers. There's a piece of sheet metal still blocking access to the planer post. However, I found that if I crank the table fully up, I can reach under the end of the machine to touch the threaded rod and the collar it threads into. I can't see it, but I can feel it. So I blindly smeared a finger-full of grease on that junction, and that worked. Thank you for the help.

John Gornall
02-28-2016, 1:56 AM
I'm an old fashioned oil can guy, even oil the threads on my clamps a couple of times each year. A handy item I found at the auto parts place was a spray can of white grease with a long nozzle - I can shoot a little grease into those spots and keep things moving smoothly.