PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Y axis problem, similar to backlash slop, ideas anyone??

Jeff Bromagem
02-25-2016, 8:38 PM
I have a problem with my Epilog Summit laser, Yes I know it's an antique!
It's as if there is a little backlash that shows on the reverse direction (head moving towards the rear).
I have checked out the bearings, tightened the belts, checked the pulleys and tightened their set screws, checked the lens to make sure it wasn't loose, everything I can think of that would cause this problem, but still not fixed. Everything seems to be tight and no slop anywhere. This laser uses 48vdc servo motors with 512 encoders on the backside. The motor bearings are new, and the brushes are great.
This happens all the way down the Y axis, as long as the head is changing direction there is an "offset" in the horizontal lines.
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.
Jeff

Finger jointed box pattern, those double horizontal lines are a single line in the pattern, and are lasered from different Y travel directions.

Check out the smallest circles below

AL Ursich
02-28-2016, 4:26 PM
I had a Summit that I sold before I got it working that had a power up down table. My almost equally as old Radius has a manual up down table. It came with 4 wooden wedges to secure the table from shaking.... If the table shakes then the lines will move... Just a thought... try wood wedges... But be cautioned... they jam up the table.... If you try moving the table under power with the wedges you will break something so if you go that route... I would put a fail safe cover over the switch that makes you think... Pull the wedges....

Just a WAG... Wild AL Guess....

Good Luck,

AL

PS: I have some Summit PDF's for repair that Epilog sent me that if you want them send me a PM with your email. Didn't see your name in my PM pile.

Kev Williams
02-28-2016, 7:29 PM
One day not long after I got my old ULS, I was noticinig something wasn't right. Lines didn't look square, etc... The problem turned out to be the X gantry was running "uphill", the right side belt somehow moved a tooth! And the angular tension (?) on the belts cause a similar jagged edge, although not quite so bad as yours. Once I squared the 2 axis's, things got worse! It took me the better part of a day to figure out the left side Y gantry, the whole rail, was loose! After another day of tightening virtually everything and insuring the machine was square, aside from 2 X belt changes, I never had another issue.

When my LS900 was about 3 years old I found the right gantry rail was getting loose, as was the right side Y-axis rod-to-pulley sleeve.

There's all kinds of stuff that can come loose! So for fun I just drew up this 'make sure this is tight' graphic. (And I'm sure I've missed something!)

Robert Dziuba
03-02-2016, 2:06 PM
Try checking the set screw on the Y-axis motor that tightens it to the shaft/pulleys, if any of the pulleys are just a touch loose it may cause that. Othewrwise, maybe one belt is tighter than the other.