PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw table pin

cecil dean
02-25-2016, 5:43 PM
This is a silly question but what does the "table pin" do? I don't see a reason for it but I know if it was not needed they would not include it.

Jerry Miner
02-25-2016, 5:49 PM
It keeps the table flat--lining up the front half with the back half at the split

Jim Finn
02-25-2016, 6:48 PM
I lost mine years ago.... no problem.

John TenEyck
02-25-2016, 6:55 PM
Never had one on mine when I got my used BS. Never needed it since. Might be good if the table is warped; otherwise, I don't see a need.

John

Lee Schierer
02-25-2016, 8:31 PM
It keeps the table flat--lining up the front half with the back half at the split

It also adds a bit of strength on the split side of the table.

william watts
02-25-2016, 8:38 PM
Should the blade break, it may find its way into the slot and exit the saw. The plug keeps it contained on the saw instead of wiggling across the shop floor. Causes panic in the shop.

Dan Hahr
02-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Should the blade break, it may find its way into the slot and exit the saw. The plug keeps it contained on the saw instead of wiggling across the shop floor. Causes panic in the shop.

That would be a rare occurrence. It keeps the table flat and solid. That's it. Many times it's not really necessary.

Dan

Erik Loza
03-04-2016, 9:11 AM
About ten years ago, Minimax' primary competitor in the US bandsaw market started putting table-locating pins on their machines so naturally, Minimax did it, too. Can't tell you how many calls I get from from guys, asking, "Where does this thingie go?", referring to the pin on the little chain.

I've never seen it make any difference, myself.

Erik

John Sanford
03-04-2016, 5:57 PM
I expect that the pin finds itself being pretty much useless on larger bandsaws and quality 14" bandsaws. On small bandsaws with aluminum tables, I can see how having the pin could be valuable. I suspect that a quality cast iron table is more likely to break rather than bend, so if it leaves the factory properly aligned, it will stay that way.

Bruce Page
03-04-2016, 6:19 PM
I made a new table for my old Delta 14" out of some 1.500" 7075 T6 aluminum plate. When I cut the blade slot the two sides sprung enough (~1/32) that I had to add a pin, in this case a shoulder bolt, to keep them aligned. I suspect hogging out all the material under the table induced some stress into the plate. I think the pins are just an insurance policy for the manufactures.

John K Jordan
03-04-2016, 6:29 PM
Even if the table is not warped, the pin does make the table a bit more stable. I cut a lot of heavy log sections to process turning blanks on my 18" Rikon bandsaw. While this particular saw doesn't have a simple pin, it does have a better method that does the same thing - a bolt with a short sleeve that is inserted into a counter-bored hole straddling the slot. This bolt is tightened from below such that the table sections on either side are held securely in alignment. (Tip, a little superglue will keep the sleeve from sliding off the bolt when removed.)

The fact that some people can't figure out what to do with the pin is pretty funny. Maybe someone stole their manuals.

JKJ

Lee Schierer
03-04-2016, 8:20 PM
I know this is an older thread, but here is a bit more information on why the pin is placed in bandsaw tables.

Cast iron tables are cast in a mold. As the metal cools certain stresses are created within the casting. Many of these can be eliminated by heat treating the casting before the machining process starts. However, this heat treatment costs more and adds time to the manufacturing process. The heat treatment doesn't remove all the stresses so some manufacturers skip it. Then like a piece of wood as the surfaces are machined some of the balanced stresses are eliminated and the parts want to move. When the cut is made from the edge to the center of the table, the two sides of that cut can move making the table uneven. The hole for the pin is usually the machined before the blade slot is cut so that if the table moves, it can be pulled back into plane with the pin after the cut is made. If you table remains flat with the pin removed it is okay to get rid of it, but if the tables moves, it can create problems making cuts and you work may hang up on the edge of the slot as you are making a cut.