PDA

View Full Version : Options with Chinese laser purchase

Doug Hoffman
02-25-2016, 4:52 PM
I am going to import a laser from China. I have gotten prices on several, and optional extras.
I have narrowed my choice down to Bodor. The only thing I don't like is they charge quite a bit
more for the options. They want $100 more for the same rotary that is sold by all vendors. They
charge $200 for the honeycomb table, all others include it. I talked to a couple of people that have
Bodor lasers, and the honeycomb table was included. I know this is only $300, but I feel they are
trying to rip me off. Do you think if I asked them to knock that $300 off the final price they would?
This is a $6000 laser. I tried to go through Ali Baba and different dealers listed, but in the end all
price quotes come from the same sales person, and the same quote.

Jeff Body
02-25-2016, 5:44 PM
I am going to import a laser from China. I have gotten prices on several, and optional extras.
I have narrowed my choice down to Bodor. The only thing I don't like is they charge quite a bit
more for the options. They want $100 more for the same rotary that is sold by all vendors. They
charge $200 for the honeycomb table, all others include it. I talked to a couple of people that have
Bodor lasers, and the honeycomb table was included. I know this is only $300, but I feel they are
trying to rip me off. Do you think if I asked them to knock that $300 off the final price they would?
This is a $6000 laser. I tried to go through Ali Baba and different dealers listed, but in the end all
price quotes come from the same sales person, and the same quote.

I'm sorry but how did you choose this vendor if you're already facing these problems and feel like they are ripping you off.
You're talking about a Chinese company that will have ALL of your money before you even see a product not your local plumber.
One hint of a red flag and I'm going with someone else.

Simple answer is go with someone else.

Keith Winter
02-25-2016, 5:47 PM
Agreed with Jeff it's not going to get better. I've never heard of this company, not saying it's not legit, but it's not one I've read of before on the forums. BTW $6000 is the fob China price add about $1600 to that and you'll be near your landed to your door price.

David Somers
02-25-2016, 7:03 PM
I agree with Jeff and Keith. This would make me back away fast. Is there some reason we didnt hear as to why you would be tempted to stay with them compared to the other companies you spoke with?
I have been very happy with the folks listed in my signature. Many have had excellent luck with Shenhui. And then there are folks like Rabbit Laser USA who have excellent reputations if you care to buy "locally."

One thought if you feel compelled to stay with these folks. Look at this very recent post on making a honeycomb table yourself. It looks like a terrific concept that he developed. Would at least save you that cost.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?241263-No-flash-grid-with-steel-for-magnets-to-hold-down-warped-material

George M. Perzel
02-25-2016, 7:06 PM
Hi Doug;
I am curious as to how you "narrowed your choice" down to an obscure company that I, among other Chinese laser users, have never heard of.? There are probably no more than five or six Chinese manufacturers who I would be comfortable with-most are based on one of two different parts /software configurations. None are failsafe and immune to problems but some have much better support than others.
You are concerned about the price of individual accessories - ya gotta look at the whole package and , if making comparisons, make apples to apples spreadsheets.
Above all, spend at least 12 hours reading the threads on SMC related to Chinese lasers- BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MONEY OR MAKE A COMMITMENT.
Good Luck
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Jeff Bromagem
02-25-2016, 9:06 PM
Hi Doug,
Just my 2 cents, If you are looking at Chinese lasers, have you went to the Rabbit Laser website? They are out of Middletown Ohio.
I went to their showroom and talked to them for quite a while about their lasers.
This is a locally owned business by very knowledgeable people.
They have done their research, been to China, to the factories, and chosen what they consider to be the best built units.
They stock most all parts if anything goes wrong, they can ship quick.
They can also offer phone support in ENGLISH, or on site support.
I am not affiliated in any way with Rabbit Laser, they just seem like a very good company (in my opinion).
They are located about 65 mile from me, which is why I visited them.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Walt Langhans
02-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Yeah... Extra honeycomb table from rayfine / shenhui = aprox $30 USD when I got my laser. Run Forest, run...

Bert Kemp
02-25-2016, 11:44 PM
I also would agree with the others. Your having problems before you even get started , with a company that no one here has ever heard of./ Please think this over again we don't want you back here in a month telling us all the problems this company and machine is giving you.
I also would agree about checking out Rabbit Laser (yes I own One , very happy so far) Or maybe Boss Laser. I'm not recommending Auto Tech any more, seems they dropped their sponsorship and now people are having problems with them. Hope they get squared away. just my 2 cents:eek:

Jerome Stanek
02-26-2016, 7:07 AM
I have one from Automation Technologies and am very happy with it I see one person has had a problem with them but my experience has been very good. They do have a larger unit that may fit you it does have a 90 watt Reci tube and the bed size is 24 x 36. The Reci tube is worth the upgrade alone

Zach Browning
02-26-2016, 8:30 AM
As the others have said, I would go with a more well known manufacturer. I purchased from G.Weike and have had no problems. I don't know what they charged for the rotary or the honeycomb table individually, as I just told them what I wanted and they gave me a quote, but the price was around $4800 shipped to my door for a 24x36" machine.

Keith Winter
02-26-2016, 9:34 AM
I would throw thunder laser into your consideration set as well. Not much more than what you got quoted but a known vendor and it will have more features standard than what you are looking at. Extra honeycomb should cost about $160 on an import for a big 1300x900 honeycomb and blades, less for a smaller.

George M. Perzel
02-26-2016, 9:58 AM
Also make sure you get steel honeycomb- not aluminum.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Jerome Stanek
02-26-2016, 1:26 PM
My laser is G Weike from auto so that should be a consideration

Doug Hoffman
02-26-2016, 2:20 PM
I chose Bodor after looking at all of the mentioned above. I looked at Automation Technologies, ThunderLaser, Boss, G Weike and even FSL.
I saw all of the units in person over the last 6 months. I also saw the Bodor in person. The Bodor had the best quality overall. They are Swiss
designed, use Japanese electronics. The tables are stainless steel. A couple of vendors here in the states sell Bodor under their own label. They
charge $4000 over what my final, all in price will be. Bodor did agree to sell me the rotary for the same as others, and the honeycomb for $100.
I am going to order through them. By the way they also offer metal RF tubes.

David Somers
02-26-2016, 2:42 PM
Doug!

Thanks for all the background info. That all makes more sense. It sounded like you were looking at Chinese machines which was making everyone question what we were seeing.
Let us know how you like it once it is in hand! And the best of luck with it!!!!

Dave

Jerome Stanek
02-26-2016, 3:26 PM
Make sure you get the Accession number and the rest of the documentation to get in the country without problems.

Bill George
02-26-2016, 3:55 PM
I looked at their website and was impressed. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Keith Winter
02-26-2016, 4:32 PM
Very interested to hear how it turns out might be a good new vendor. Please post back your progress, and maybe a review of them, eager to hear how it goes L.

Doug Hoffman
02-26-2016, 7:00 PM
I am using a broker. I read and re-read all the posts from you guys that imported. I will keep you informed of my progress.
Thunder Laser was my second choice. The guy from Thunder Laser keeps an eye on the forums, and is there to help when
it is needed. I am impressed by that kind of support.

Matt McCoy
02-26-2016, 7:43 PM
Really interesting. Thanks for the heads-up on this company.

Bert Kemp
02-26-2016, 10:19 PM
I thought I read that you couldn't wouldn't do a direct import that you had to buy from a US based supplier. Why do you need a broker?

I am using a broker. I read and re-read all the posts from you guys that imported. I will keep you informed of my progress.
Thunder Laser was my second choice. The guy from Thunder Laser keeps an eye on the forums, and is there to help when
it is needed. I am impressed by that kind of support.

George M. Perzel
02-27-2016, 6:51 PM
Hi Doug;
I take back many of my previous concerns- checked out company with friend in China who rates them very highly and likely to become one of the top exporters-great variety of products and well made.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Henri Sallinen
08-01-2016, 4:43 AM
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm concidering buying a Bodor-laser from a reseller in Europe and would be interested in hearing how this all went down!

Doug: Could you inform us of how the process went and are you pleased with the machine?