PDA

View Full Version : Veritas new Small Plow Plane

Hilton Ralphs
02-25-2016, 4:20 PM
I see Lee Valley has just launched the re-design of their successful Plow Plane.

From their website;

Veritas® Small Plow Plane

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/Woodworking/Planes/05p5801s2.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/Woodworking/Planes/05p5101i4.jpg

This is our redesigned small plow plane. While it still excels at cutting grooves, rabbets and tongues, it now has the ability to cut decorative beading.

Looks interesting. Beading blades are also available.

Tony Wilkins
02-25-2016, 4:32 PM
After watching Roy do his show about the Stanley 55 universal plane I thought it wouldn't be hard to do that with the Veritas. I'm going to check it out. Hopefully those blades are backwards compatible!

eta: they are compatible after a $60 upgrade to the skate. You mail your plane in(unless close to the store) for a skate modification.

Jim Koepke
02-25-2016, 5:45 PM
After watching Roy do his show about the Stanley 55 universal plane I thought it wouldn't be hard to do that with the Veritas.

The beading blades will make it more like a Stanley 45. The #55 has a few more tricks up its sleeve.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
02-25-2016, 6:19 PM
The beading blades will make it more like a Stanley 45. The #55 has a few more tricks up its sleeve.

jtk

its not to far of a jump to some of those tricks on the 55 though if not the full range of molding blades it had available. It'll be interesting to see just how versatile they can/will make it.

Jim Belair
02-25-2016, 6:37 PM
Weren't there some issues with securement of the depth stop on these planes? I don't see any reference to a fix. Or maybe I'm mistaken and there was no problem.

Patrick Chase
02-25-2016, 7:05 PM
Weren't there some issues with securement of the depth stop on these planes? I don't see any reference to a fix. Or maybe I'm mistaken and there was no problem.

I haven't had problems with mine, though I recall seeing some reviews where people complained that they had to crank it way down.

EDIT: They're offering a factory upgrade (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=74052) (by re-machining the skate and replacing the depth-stop clamp) for existing plow planes for $69, but only through August. The fact that the upgrade includes a new depth-stop clamp suggests they've at least tried to address the issue you reference

John Schtrumpf
02-25-2016, 7:10 PM
Watch the video for the skate upgrade, you can see it in there.

Rob Lee
02-25-2016, 7:57 PM
Hi -

This need s a bit more information for context...

Here's the letter that is in the mail to all plow plane customers right now:

Dear Customer,

As we continue to develop new product, we occasionally discover something that would make a significant improvement to a product we currently produce: such is the case with the Veritas Small Plow Plane you own. The work we are doing right now on the design of a large combination plane uncovered a straightforward modification that could be made to the skate of the plow plane that would enable it to cut beads (with the appropriate blades).

Having already sold you one, we worked hard to find a way to give you an upgrade path to add beading capability, should you want it, to your current plane. The information in this package will let you know exactly how we can do that, for what we feel is a very reasonable price.

This upgrade program is something new for us, and is a first in our industry for this type of product. I can’t promise that we’ll always be able to find a solution as good as this one, but it’s important for you to know that we are always mindful of the confidence you have placed in us by buying the product in the first place, and will do everything we can to continue to earn that trust.

Our manufacturing, service, and fulfillment teams have worked hard to make this program work, and look forward to the opportunity to make an excellent product even better for you.

As for future product, we’ll try harder to have all of our good ideas a bit closer together….so they can all be rolled into the design at the same time.

Cheers, and thanks for your past business!

Robin Lee

For those of you who were on back-order - your newly updated planes ship tomorrow - they are in stock.

Beading blades are about 2 week away right now - for those that want them - they can be ordered then - and we will waive the shipping on your entire order (teaches us to have them ready at the same time....)

The second letter in the package being mailed out is a bit more official:

RE: 05P51.01+ Veritas® Small Plow Plane

Dear Customer,

According to our records, you have purchased a Veritas(R) small plow plane from us. We would like to inform you of two recent modifications we’ve made to the plane’s design, and let you know how you can take advantage of these developments – without having to buy the latest model.

Development #1: Redesigned Depth Stop:

We’ve recently made a design change to the clamp mechanism to grip the depth stop shaft with more force, reducing the chance of inadvertently pushing the depth stop to a new position while the plane is in use. This change is completely compatible with your plane, and is available at no additional charge. Simply request one in person at one of our stores, or add item number 05P26.61 to your next order.

Development #2: Beading Capability:

As of February 22nd, we have modified the skate profile of our small plow planes, allowing them to use three sizes of beading blade. The range of PM-V11® beading blades (available in March, 2016) will not be compatible with the older-model planes you have. Recognizing that beading is a very desirable capability, we have developed an upgrade kit and a re-manufacturing process that you can take advantage of until August 31, 2016. If you purchase our upgrade kit (product 05P5265 $59), we will send you a pre-paid shipping box, along with instructions on how to partially disassemble your plane and mail the plane body back to us. We will then re-machine the skate of your plane and return it to you. For the price of the kit, you are getting pre-paid shipping both ways, and re-machining of your plane, as well as replacement of the depth stop clamp as noted above, if not already done.

Please note that the new beading blades are sold separately from the upgrade kit – if you order them at the same time, you will receive you blades separately from your updated plane.

For more information about these modifications, just call or e-mail one of our Customer Service representatives at customerservice@leevalley.com or 1800-267-8761.

Sincerely,

Lee Valley Tools

New products covered by this announcement:
05P2661 Depth Stop Clamp Retrofit No Charge

05P5265 Plow Plane Upgrade Kit - Mail order - US customer $ 59.00

So there you have. I think it's a really cool program, and one that I think provides real value for the price, and a desirable new capability.

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Koepke
02-25-2016, 8:01 PM
its not to far of a jump to some of those tricks on the 55 though if not the full range of molding blades it had available. It'll be interesting to see just how versatile they can/will make it.

The Stanley 55 has two fences, both of them can be adjusted for angular alignment. Among other things this allows for working on the corner of a piece.

In a recent project I used the #55 at an angle for making a coat rack:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?240132-Making-a-Simple-Project-Not-So-Simple

When working on angles like this it might be necessary to get to depth by adjusting the blade between passes, the #55 has a provision for this. On the 45, the blade can slip to the side when this kind of "on the fly" depth adjustment is done. I know this from using both planes for this kind of endeavor. Both can do stopped cuts, it is easier on the #55 for most applications.

The movable skate on the #55 can be adjusted up and down. This is important when working with blades that are not symmetrical. The #45 has both skates fixed to the same height. All the blades made to work with the #45 have the same depth of cut on the left and right side.

The #55 is supplied with a "third, adjustable skate." This helps with stability on some of the wider odd shaped blades.

It will be interesting to see what blades will be made for the new Veritas Small Plow Plane. It would be neat to see multiple bead cutters and fluting cutters.

Here is a link to an instruction manual for the Stanley #55:

http://tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/comb-planes/55man.pdf

It is a good read and may inspire some experimentation with other planes.

jtk

Brian Loran
02-25-2016, 8:27 PM
Rob,

Will the new combination plane have the same beading capability? Debating if I should get my small plough plane updated or if the new combination plane will do the same thing, I may just get that. Thanks.

Rob Lee
02-25-2016, 8:34 PM
Rob,

Will the new combination plane have the same beading capability? Debating if I should get my small plough plane updated or if the new combination plane will do the same thing, I may just get that. Thanks.

Hi Brian -

Yes - the new combination plane will do beading....but it's at least a year or more from now.

The question you're not asking (and which I can't answer yet) is "what else will the large combination plane do?".

Cheers -

Rob

Frederick Skelly
02-25-2016, 8:52 PM
"Development #1: Redesigned Depth Stop: We’ve recently made a design change to the clamp mechanism to grip the depth stop shaft with more force, reducing the chance of inadvertently pushing the depth stop to a new position while the plane is in use. This change is completely compatible with your plane, and is available at no additional charge. Simply request one in person at one of our stores, or add item number 05P26.61 to your next order."

This is an example of why I love doing business with Lee Valley. You didn't HAVE TO do this (or the free depth stop for my small router plane), but you went ahead and did it. The message I get from things like this is "hey, we found we could make a small change that makes it perform better - enough better that we've changed the product. You spent good money with us to buy the original, so we want to give you the upgrade to make what you bought as good as what we currently sell."

Yah, I realize the company is upgrading the tool in response to grumbles about that stop. But regardless, it's darn good customer relations to offer "fixes" like this.

I also appreciate having an opportunity to upgrade to beading capability. I don't know if I'll take advantage of the offer, but I think the price is VERY fair.

Thank you Mr. Lee!
Fred

Brian Loran
02-25-2016, 10:02 PM
Thanks Rob. I will get the update then.

Hmmm... hollow/round, moulding profiles, looking forward to seeing LV's version of a combination plane.

Randy Karst
02-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Thanks Rob, amazing customer consideration and service; it is very appreciated! My Plow Plan will be coming your way for the upgrade and retrofit (along with an order for the beading blades). Free shipping for the whole order-you are amazing!

Randy

Charles Bjorgen
02-26-2016, 7:09 AM
This is a very good upgrade. I tried some Stanley 45 beading cutters in my newly purchased LV plow a while back and couldn't get them to work. I wonder now if they might work after the upgrade, which I'll do.

Thanks, Lee Valley!

Jim Koepke
02-26-2016, 11:53 AM
This is a very good upgrade. I tried some Stanley 45 beading cutters in my newly purchased LV plow a while back and couldn't get them to work. I wonder now if they might work after the upgrade, which I'll do.

Thanks, Lee Valley!

I have never held or seen the LV plow plane. I do know the beading cutters can be a problem for folks on the Stanley 45 for which they were made. The runner (or skates) have to be clear of the blade's edges. If there is even a little bit peeking over the edge, the cutter will not be able to do its work.

My guess is the modification is to grind the runner a bit to remove it from inside the blade curvature needed to cut a bead.

jtk

Robert Payne
02-26-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm in the group that bought the Small Plow Plane with the full suite of cutters in the last year -- I haven't seen the mailing yet, but will probably wait until the new beading cutters are available to proceed with doing the upgrade -- I also bought the LV Beading tool and a bunch of cutters. Looking forward to more info.

Gary Muto
02-26-2016, 9:28 PM
This is great news. I already have teh upgrade in my cart waiting for my nest (inevitable) order....

Patrick Chase
02-26-2016, 9:38 PM
This is great news. I already have teh upgrade in my cart waiting for my nest (inevitable) order....

We woodworkers do not call it "nesting". These are absolutely necessary tools, and have nothing to do with compulsively over-preparing for our next baby...err...project.

EDIT: Yes, I know that was a mis-spelling. Still hits a bit close to home though...

john zulu
02-28-2016, 10:14 AM
I will wait for the new combination plane..... Looks promising

Don Slaughter
02-28-2016, 5:41 PM
I'm one of those who bought the plane several years ago....broke the depth adjustment in first few months...called customer service for a lightening fast response....new depth adjuster plus a call with suggested action to 'make-do'. That suggestion resulted in my skill using the tool improving immensely (thanks again Lee Valley). I haven't received my upgrade letter yet but will certainly take LV up on the offer to get the beading accessories too. I DITTO the positive responses re: LV service & dedication to customer satisfaction.....Thanks, Rob

Gary Muto
02-29-2016, 9:54 PM
We woodworkers do not call it "nesting". These are absolutely necessary tools, and have nothing to do with compulsively over-preparing for our next baby...err...project.

EDIT: Yes, I know that was a mis-spelling. Still hits a bit close to home though...

Wow, a couple typos in that message. I must've been tired or thinking about my next acquisition.... or both.

Robert Hartmann
03-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Would I regret not getting the upgrade on my plow plane? I'm a newbie to the hand tools only world and I'm not convinced that I'll give up my router table. I love using my plow plane as opposed to the noisy and messy router table. I'm actually somewhat of a novice at woodworking even though I started quite a while ago. Numerous military moves to include a third overseas tour since I started. I have done very little beading, so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.

Patrick Chase
03-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Would I regret not getting the upgrade on my plow plane? I'm a newbie to the hand tools only world and I'm not convinced that I'll give up my router table. I love using my plow plane as opposed to the noisy and messy router table. I'm actually somewhat of a novice at woodworking even though I started quite a while ago. Numerous military moves to include a third overseas tour since I started. I have done very little beading, so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.

You don't have to commit one way or the other until August. Given that you're a self-described newbie your requirements are probably evolving pretty quickly, so your best move might be to wait and see.

Stephen Clement
03-14-2016, 9:22 PM

Related question: why do metal beading planes (e.g., Stanley 45/55) have a flat on each side of the cutter? Wood-bodied beading planes and scratch stocks come to a sharp point and leave a nicer pattern, IMHO. Can the cutter of a metal bodied plane be reground to get rid of that flat? I also am torn on if this upgrade is acually worth it if anyone can speak to that

Jim Koepke
03-15-2016, 1:55 AM
Related question: why do metal beading planes (e.g., Stanley 45/55) have a flat on each side of the cutter? Wood-bodied beading planes and scratch stocks come to a sharp point and leave a nicer pattern, IMHO. Can the cutter of a metal bodied plane be reground to get rid of that flat? I also am torn on if this upgrade is acually worth it if anyone can speak to that

The blade needs to have the flats in order to make a path for the plane's skates or runners. A wooden bodied beading or hollow plane can have the cutter match the sole. If a part of the blade on a wood bodied isn't outside of the wood, it will not cut where it is in the wood's shadow.

If one is careful in sharpening the blades for the metal beading planes the quirk left on either side of the bead can be reduced.

It looks like the Veritas plane doesn't have a movable runner for their blades. It may be able to have a very small quirk on the cut away from the body.

We can wait and see what will be.

jtk

john zulu
03-15-2016, 12:13 PM
@Rob
Is there a timeline for the replacement part? 05P26.61
I still don't have an order list yet

Rob Lee
03-15-2016, 1:06 PM
@Rob
Is there a timeline for the replacement part? 05P26.61
I still don't have an order list yet

Hi John,

We'll be keeping the replacement available for years, likely. I should note that the "real" part number is 05P5261 - my early post had a typo, and I could no longer edit it!

Cheers -

Rob

Allan Speers
03-15-2016, 6:17 PM
I must say, I'm quite interested to see how folks get on with this plane for beading.

I had a Stanley 66, retired it in favor of a simple scratch stock, but It would be nice to have better registration for long runs. I was going to get the LV router plane with it's beading option, so now I don't know which is a better purchase. Probably the router as I don't currently have ANY larger router plane, and I already have a very nice Stanley 45. Still .....

Well, looking forward to all of your feedback as you use this thing......

john zulu
03-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Hi John,

We'll be keeping the replacement available for years, likely. I should note that the "real" part number is 05P5261 - my early post had a typo, and I could no longer edit it!

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks Rob!

Rob Lee
03-16-2016, 7:07 PM
Hi -

If someone wants to try the plane, and report back to the board, I'd be glad to send out a loaner...

Just post "ME ME ME!" in this thread.... :) *

Cheers -

Rob

*(in North America pls!)

Andrew Nemeth
03-16-2016, 7:21 PM
Alright, I'll bite. ME ME ME! I'm a newer to the neander way but would be happy to post an honest report!

Rob Lee
03-16-2016, 7:28 PM
Alright, I'll bite. ME ME ME! I'm a newer to the neander way but would be happy to post an honest report!

Hi Andrew -

Brave guy.... :)

Shoot me your shipping address at rlee@leevalley.com , and I'll have a plane sent out to you!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
03-16-2016, 7:31 PM
PS - don't forget to mention RH or LH!!!

Andrew Nemeth
03-16-2016, 8:04 PM
I didn't even think about including RH while I was sending you my mailing address!

Thanks again!!!

Hilton Ralphs
03-17-2016, 1:39 AM
If someone wants to try the plane, and report back to the board, I'd be glad to send out a loaner...

*(in North America pls!)

Us third world guys cannot be trusted :cool:

john zulu
03-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

*(in North America pls!)

Aha. Poor poor Malaysian woodworker.....

Nick Stokes
03-17-2016, 10:37 AM
I just received the small plough with cutters. I did not get the wide conversion kit/beading setup because it wasn't available yet. I had been waiting a few months to get the plough ever since the first teaser that Rob gave us to "wait a bit before ordering the small plough".

I have used it in it's regular duties to cut a groove for a simple drawer bottom. I had in the past used an old stanley 45, that worked fine, but never was convenient to use... I did alot of research and all of you recommended the LV small plough.

Oh my, I am in love with this thing. You simply can't compare the efficiency and feel of this tool, to the old ones. Now, the wood probably does not know the difference... But, I Love the perfection I felt when I was using this tool.

About the new depth stop, I have no experience with the old one, but the plane I have now, that sucker tightens down fine. I tried a test board where I cut a groove to depth, then I purposefully attempted to see if it would slip by attempting to be rougher with the passes, and attempting to lean into the depth stop just a bit. Not crazy, but rougher than I would be with it in normal use... and, no problems.

I don't know how scientific that test was or whatever, and I am not near as experienced as you guys on this board, but that was my experience with the tool.

I currently use a flat head screw through a block of wood as my "beading" tool... I would like to eventually add this capacity, but haven't taken that leap yet.

While I'm here, I wanted to ask this. I watched a Paul Sellers video (he loves the LV Small Plough) and saw him put a board in a vise with it's long edge up. He pinched the board together with a scrap piece of pine for additional support/backing. Then, he setup the LV Small Plough to cut a groove like normal; half in the workpiece, half in the pine. The result was actually cutting a long grain rabbet in the workpiece. I thought this was brilliant. Can anyone else expand on this technique, or can say they have used it with success? I had never seen it before.

Jim Koepke
03-17-2016, 11:36 AM
While I'm here, I wanted to ask this. I watched a Paul Sellers video (he loves the LV Small Plough) and saw him put a board in a vise with it's long edge up. He pinched the board together with a scrap piece of pine for additional support/backing. Then, he setup the LV Small Plough to cut a groove like normal; half in the workpiece, half in the pine. The result was actually cutting a long grain rabbet in the workpiece. I thought this was brilliant. Can anyone else expand on this technique, or can say they have used it with success? I had never seen it before.

Nick,

There will always be people who find uses for a tool or other device the maker may not have considered.

I am not familiar with the mechanics of the Veritas Small Plow plane. Someone beat me to Rob Lee's offer of a test drive. Currently I have plenty of different planes able to do plowing or rabbeting.

with the Stanley #45 the fence can be set so the blade is above its top side. This allows a wide blade to be used to cut a rabbet of any size without needing a sacraficial spacer as Paul Sellers used.

Another method may be to attach a piece of wood to the fence. Cut a slot to allow the blade to ride inside the fence so a rabbet can be cut with the blade being wider than the work.

jtk

Rob Lee
03-17-2016, 6:05 PM
Nick,

(snip) Someone beat me to Rob Lee's offer of a test drive. Currently I have plenty of different planes able to do plowing or rabbeting.

(snip)

Hi Jim -

I'll ask Andrew to send it to you, when he's done trying it.... if you like...

Cheers -

Rob

John Schtrumpf
03-17-2016, 8:51 PM
...While I'm here, I wanted to ask this. I watched a Paul Sellers video (he loves the LV Small Plough) and saw him put a board in a vise with it's long edge up. He pinched the board together with a scrap piece of pine for additional support/backing. Then, he setup the LV Small Plough to cut a groove like normal; half in the workpiece, half in the pine. The result was actually cutting a long grain rabbet in the workpiece. I thought this was brilliant. Can anyone else expand on this technique, or can say they have used it with success? I had never seen it before.
I never tried that technique, I might try it for an endgrain rabbet (I have plowed grooves on endgrain). I do use my LV Small Plow to do long grain rabbets. As I read Derek Cohen's inthewoodshop.com , I use some of his tricks. He added a larger fence board with a notch for the blade, it made sense so I did it. He also clamps his boards with the edge flush to the edge of the bench for better registration of the fence, I do too, the depth stop then works by riding on the face of the board when doing a rabbet (same as with a groove).

Andrew Nemeth
03-17-2016, 9:07 PM
I'll be happy to send it along after a test drive. It's the least I can do!!!

Jim Koepke
03-17-2016, 9:24 PM
Thanks Rob and Andrew.

jtk

Augusto Orosco
03-17-2016, 9:59 PM
I think someone in this thread (or another related one?) feared getting the plane back after sending it would take a while. So, FYI, I ordered the new blades and the replacement kit as soon as it was advertised online (I think I read it on the Pop Woodworking blog; a few weeks earlier than my official letter, which arrived in the mail last week). I got the blades shortly after ordering and then got the mailing kit for the body of the plane. Today I got it back with the modifications done (including the improved depth stop), and certainly much cleaner than how I sent it to them.

That was some quick turnaround, but again, Lee Valley always raises the bar for other retailers on this matter. Good stuff!

Brian Loran
03-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info Augusto. I sent mine in on March 5th and am eagerly waiting its return. I was wondering about how long it would take (I assume return mail is the longest leg of the trip).

Rob Lee
03-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info Augusto. I sent mine in on March 5th and am eagerly waiting its return. I was wondering about how long it would take (I assume return mail is the longest leg of the trip).

Hi Brian -

A lot depends on the volumes we receive, but shipping to and from should still be the majority of the time.

Cheers -

Rob

John Jarrett
03-18-2016, 4:01 PM
Hi all, I'm not much of a poster, more an occasional visitor (lurker?), however

I just received my upgraded small plow yesterday and I am a happy camper.

The upgraded depth stop mount alone is worth the price of admission. (Especially since that part is free!) It works so much better than the original. My only regret is that I had had to use a pair of pliers on the knurled brass screw previously. No big deal, just cosmetic. "Finger tight" now holds tenaciously.

Since there are no beading cutters available in my area yet I tried using a set from an old Record 50C combination plane. They fit fine if you remove the depth adjuster screw from the small plow. First try, 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and even 3/8" beads were near perfect with no drama. Veritas is only advertising 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 but since I had the other sized cutters, why not try? Much easier to use, more reliable and more consistent than the 50C. I even managed a 1/2" bead but not one you would call furniture quality. Perhaps with a little more practice and tweaking of technique 1/2" beads would be practical. I'm thinking perhaps of a way to design a sub-fence.????!!!

All in all, I'm delighted with the upgrade. Now if we could just convince computer companies and auto companies to offer upgrade packages in the same spirit as this one! Thanks to Lee Valley for this.

Best,
John

Brian Loran
03-20-2016, 2:34 PM
Thanks Rob. Understood.

Jon Shank
03-20-2016, 7:11 PM
Well criminy Rob, Me ME ME!

Jon

Cody Kemble
03-20-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm dropping mine in the mail tomorrow if the weather permits.

Tim Geary
03-20-2016, 11:59 PM
WOW!! What an offer.

Paul Crowe
03-21-2016, 6:30 AM
Dear Mr Lee,

Could I please request that the Australian distributor carbatec be enabled to provide the oppotunity for me to get a box to pack my plane and return it for regrinding?

thanks
Paul

Andrew Pitonyak
03-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi -

Cheers -

Rob

*(in North America pls!)

ME ME ME!

Happy to give it a test drive and report back my findings. Just be certain to let me know how detailed to be and to whom I should report In other words, respond only to Lee Valley, or free to respond on the board.

Chris Hachet
03-21-2016, 11:42 AM
ME ME ME!

Happy to give it a test drive and report back my findings. Just be certain to let me know how detailed to be and to whom I should report In other words, respond only to Lee Valley, or free to respond on the board.

If it happens to wander into your shop....

Andrew Pitonyak
03-21-2016, 12:58 PM
If it happens to wander into your shop....

Yeah, if it does, you will know about it! :D

Will see!

Rob Lee
03-21-2016, 7:36 PM
Ummm - Jon and Andrew....

My fault for not being clear - but there's only one plane to send out...

I will be glad to send it to you when it get's back here though.... you'll be #'s 3 and 4 on the list....!

If you're good with that, I'll make it happen....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
03-21-2016, 7:55 PM
Dear Mr Lee,

Could I please request that the Australian distributor carbatec be enabled to provide the oppotunity for me to get a box to pack my plane and return it for regrinding?

thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

We're trying to work that out right now. What we're selling in North America is the regrinding plus shipping two ways for $59. As you can imagine, freight two ways from Australia, plus customs charges, adds up to significantly higher costs than it does here.

If you can wait a bit - we'll have something figured out soon...you have not been forgotten (or Germany, or the Uk, or....)

Cheers -

Rob

Andrew Pitonyak
03-21-2016, 8:26 PM
Ummm - Jon and Andrew....

My fault for not being clear - but there's only one plane to send out...

I will be glad to send it to you when it get's back here though.... you'll be #'s 3 and 4 on the list....!

If you're good with that, I'll make it happen....

Cheers -

Rob

I am very good with that, but, to be clear, I am also good with your saying that it is not required.

Paul Crowe
03-22-2016, 6:03 AM
Hi Paul,

We're trying to work that out right now. What we're selling in North America is the regrinding plus shipping two ways for $59. As you can imagine, freight two ways from Australia, plus customs charges, adds up to significantly higher costs than it does here.

If you can wait a bit - we'll have something figured out soon...you have not been forgotten (or Germany, or the Uk, or....)

Cheers -

Rob

If all else fails do you think you could get Vic Tesolin to bring a box out to Australia when he comes and then take it back with him

Rob Lee
03-22-2016, 7:31 AM
If all else fails do you think you could get Vic Tesolin to bring a box out to Australia when he comes and then take it back with him

Hi Paul -

I'd be glad to load Vic's luggage with cast iron....really!

The problem there is that it can create customs problems. For our staff, the ability to travel freely trumps (in the card sense, not the GOP sense) any direct commercial need. We always tell the truth at customs - and you learn very quickly to never take commercial goods with you....!

I'll be speaking with our export manager today about progress with the process...and will pass along an update.

Cheers -

Rob

Brian Loran
03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
My plane returned home yesterday with the beading modification and improved depth stop! I made a few 1/4" beads and it worked perfectly. I will try out the 1/8" bead tonight. Very cool to get extra functionality out of this plane without having to buy a whole new plane. Quite painless from my end given the logistics of it. Thanks Rob!

Jim Koepke
03-22-2016, 12:43 PM
I'll be speaking with our export manager today about progress with the process...and will pass along an update.

Doing the right thing isn't always an easy proposition.

It might be easier to take the machining work out to world than to figure out how to get the work of the world in to the machining.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-22-2016, 3:04 PM
I wish you guys would stop posting about the small plow plane. If you don't, it's going to cost me money and I already have a woody. :)

Chris Hachet
03-23-2016, 8:01 AM
I wish you guys would stop posting about the small plow plane. If you don't, it's going to cost me money and I already have a woody. :)

While I love my vintage Baily style planes, the new specialty planes are utterly wonderful. I want this and the new Walker Moore router plane they were showing off at the Lie Nielson Tool event in Kentucky...

Brian Hale
03-24-2016, 5:51 PM
I'll be putting mine in the mail tomorrow AM, looking forward to trying out those beaders!

I also included a couple thick aromatic Spanish Cedar shavings for good measure ;)

Brian :)

Shawn Pixley
03-24-2016, 9:15 PM
Mine is packed for mailing tomorrow. Brian and I will race.

Allan Speers
03-24-2016, 9:38 PM

Man, hand tools REALLY get you excited, huh? :p

Patrick Chase
03-24-2016, 9:48 PM
Man, hand tools REALLY get you excited, huh? :p

You beat me to it. "Is that a plow plane in your pocket or...?"

Brian Hale
03-24-2016, 10:17 PM

That really isn't fair Shawn, I'm already 3 hours ahead of you...... :p

Charles Bjorgen
03-25-2016, 6:41 AM
I dropped mine in the mail two weeks ago today. Got the beading cutterswith the shipping package. Hope to see the plane soon.

Brian Hale
04-12-2016, 7:07 PM

Mine just arrived :)

Shawn Pixley
04-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Mine just arrived :)

Good for you! You're the winner. I am still waiting for mine. The problem of living on the left coast.

Don Slaughter
04-13-2016, 3:18 AM
I got mine back last Friday and it's still out on my bench...just too much fun to put away right now. The improved depth stop is really great. I did have problems with the original stop but I chalked it up to operator error and tried to alter my method so as not to bare down so much. This new stop is solid as can be....and I enjoy not having to be delicate with it...Thanks, Rob! The beaders are great! This will really improve the visual quality of my projects. Wish I'd had this capability long ago.

Don

Chuck Hart
04-14-2016, 10:12 PM
I really surprised there weren't ten Me Me Me's out there

Jim Koepke
04-14-2016, 10:52 PM
I really surprised there weren't ten Me Me Me's out there

I think there were. It is my understanding the plane will be sent around to each person who wants to try it and post their impressions. Not sure when it is all supposed to start.

jtk

Mike Cherry
04-14-2016, 11:46 PM
I received my upgraded plow back a couple days ago. I didn't get the new blades, but the depth stop upgrade is light years better now! Before I had to really crank on the brass knob, know just snugging it up is enough clamping pressure.

Frederick Skelly
04-15-2016, 6:04 AM
I just ordered the upgrade kit. And the blades. And a tool rest for my grinder. And a small brass caliper. And...

(LV free shipping)

Shawn Pixley
04-20-2016, 4:26 PM
Good for you! You're the winner. I am still waiting for mine. The problem of living on the left coast.

Got mine today and reassembled. Eight days longer from the left coast.

lowell holmes
04-20-2016, 6:32 PM
If you guys don't quit talking about the small plow plane, it's going to cost me some money.:)

Frederick Skelly
04-20-2016, 8:00 PM
If you guys don't quit talking about the small plow plane, it's going to cost me some money.:)

It's a really nice tool Lowell. You'll like it. :D

Lenore Epstein
04-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Yeah, you guys are pretty heartless. I'm getting interested and I don't even know exactly what a plow plane is for! :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
04-21-2016, 12:26 AM
I don't even know exactly what a plow plane is for!

They are great at making slots for box and drawer bottoms. A dado is a slot across the grain.

With beading cutters a plow plane can do decorative enhancements to a piece.

This is a beading (reeding) blade that makes three beads at the same time.

A plow plane can also make a guide slot for a hollow or round plane to produce moldings.

jtk