PDA

View Full Version : What are "modified" sports ?

Stephen Tashiro
02-25-2016, 3:40 PM
I notice the websites of various high schools list "modified" versions of sports - for example, "cross country, JV cross country, modified cross country". In that context, what is a "modified" sport ?

Wade Lippman
02-25-2016, 4:09 PM
http://www.schuylervilleschools.org/Athletics/ModifiedSports.cfm

Around here it refers to middle school sports. My son was in modified wrestling. The main "modification" was that everyone on the team got a chance to compete and no track was kept of how the team did. (at least no one was supposed to)

I loved watching him wrestle. Then in HS he changed to rowing, which I hated. Oh well.

roger wiegand
02-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Let me suggest watching paint dry as an exciting alternative to rowing. (Veteran of two kids and a total of 10 years standing in the sleet watching dots pass in the distance, asking "Which boat is ours?") The kids loved it and it was great for them, but not a spectator sport!

Gordon Eyre
02-27-2016, 2:22 PM
Modified sports are generally a broad array of sports designed to accommodate 7th 8th and 9th grade students. This allows them to participate in intramural competition. Junior Varsity and Varsity on the other hand is for High School students.

Wade Lippman
02-27-2016, 2:34 PM
Let me suggest watching paint dry as an exciting alternative to rowing. (Veteran of two kids and a total of 10 years standing in the sleet watching dots pass in the distance, asking "Which boat is ours?") The kids loved it and it was great for them, but not a spectator sport!

I have 15 years in with my two sons, and now my wife has started. (her boat beat 5 others in the Charles last year!) The big difference between regattas and paint drying is that paint takes maybe 3 hours to dry; regattas go on forever.

David Helm
02-28-2016, 4:05 PM
If you want to get in on the real excitement of rowing read: The Boys in the Boat. Wonderful account of the UW 8 getting to, and winning the gold in the 1936 Olympics in Hitler's Berlin. Good companion piece to Jesse Owens.

Steve Peterson
02-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Slightly off topic, but I won tickets to the Harlem Globetrotters through work. They modified the game to add a 4 point circle slightly outside the 3 point line. This allowed them to catch up quickly when the script had them falling behind. Heck, even the 3 point line is a new modification to me. And playing against a team that goes along with all your dance moves must qualify as another modification.

Steve