PDA

View Full Version : Wood working show in Atlanta

Tim Cooper Louisiana
02-25-2016, 2:01 PM
Hello All!

I'm planning on going to a woodworking show in Atlanta that starts April 1st. As it is my first event, I have a few questions. I know there will be vendors there, but is there normally 'stock' on hand to purchase? I really want to buy some things like a good straight edge, and maybe some squares. I'd love to know I'm getting something that is actually square and flat, and I figure there will be lots of experts around to help me figure it out. I'm mainly going because LV will be there, but I wish LN was going to be represented as well. Anyone else planning to go? It would be nice to meet some people from the forums.

Archie England
02-26-2016, 8:43 AM
While in Atlanta, there's two superb woodworking stores in the area; so, even if you cannot buy what you want--just drive over to Highland Woodworking (not too far from GT area) or Woodcraft (285 loop area). If you've been there, you know how great these stores are; if not, do find out!!!!

Mike Holbrook
02-26-2016, 10:08 AM
I am trying to find out which show you are talking about Tim. I live in/around Atlanta and may attend. They keep changing where they hold the shows here. Highland Woodworking is sort of in the middle of town, five points area, sort of close to GT (Georgia Tech).

Tim Cooper Louisiana
02-26-2016, 10:54 AM
I am trying to find out which show you are talking about Tim. I live in/around Atlanta and may attend. They keep changing where they hold the shows here. Highland Woodworking is sort of in the middle of town, five points area, sort of close to GT (Georgia Tech).

I'm not sure of the rules for posting events etc.. It's The Woodworking Shows event. It's at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross, GA. April 1-3. If you want to meet up, just PM me and we can exchange info. It's funny how trying to meet fellow woodworkers reminds me a lot of dating, but better.

Jim Koepke
02-26-2016, 11:12 AM
As it is my first event, I have a few questions. I know there will be vendors there, but is there normally 'stock' on hand to purchase? I really want to buy some things like a good straight edge, and maybe some squares. I'd love to know I'm getting something that is actually square and flat, and I figure there will be lots of experts around to help me figure it out. I'm mainly going because LV will be there, but I wish LN was going to be represented as well. Anyone else planning to go? It would be nice to meet some people from the forums.

Tim,

I have been to LN events, I wish LV would do some in my area. At the LN event I called ahead to have them bring a particular tool I wanted to purchase. Somehow things got crossed up and they brought the wrong tool.

Some small sure to sell items may be brought along, but they may sell fast. Most of the vendors will offer free shipping for items bought at the event.

It is almost impossible for them to bring the whole catalog along to demonstrate. It is even harder to bring it all in quantities to sell.

My suggestion is if you have a particular item you are interested, call them to see if they can have one for you to inspect and buy if it suites your needs. They will likely be happy to have the opportunity to satisfy another customer face to face.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
02-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Tim, I am checking with wife to see if I can get a day off, and another woodworker friend...I will try to PM you when I get it figured out.

Highland Woodworking has sold most of the LN gear "forever". So Tim, if you are in Atlanta at the wood show and LN is not there or does not have an item I am betting Highland will have it. I think Highland probably has some agreement with LN dating back to BC sometime, so they do not carry the Veritas planes although they have other Veritas items, but I think you can see them at the show.