PDA

View Full Version : Akita Dog Carving

James Nugnes
02-25-2016, 1:41 PM

Here is another of the carvings that I have completed recently. I could have carved this dog with a much more sinister visage. Just a few passes with the carving tools and this dog could have looked like Satan. But that is not what the owner who has several Akita's wanted. He thinks the breed is misunderstood. They can be aggressive no doubt. While I do not like anything about dog fighting, I expect these guys would be very tough to beat in a tussle. This dog is his oldest and the only one he had in this color combination. I really liked it myself.

Daniel O'Neill
02-25-2016, 4:06 PM
That's awesome! I like the dogs too. I think if I ever had kids I might get one. Or another German Shepard.....

Jay Jolliffe
02-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Great job...

James Nugnes
02-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Thanks so much for your encouragement. This little Dachshund has a separate pedestal. It is not carved as one single piece. So I carved insets into the pedestal base and her feet sit in the insets. I have found Dachshounds to be really hard to carve compared to other dog breeds. In this case, I could not take the photos myself. They were sent to me by the customer. That can sometimes present its own difficulties. This one came put pretty good though.