PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage Last Night

Keith Outten
02-25-2016, 10:23 AM
The big storm that came up the east coast yesterday afternoon and into the evening brought us torrential rains and plenty of wind that knocked out all power until 9:45 am this morning. My barn had two inches of water in it from a rain shower that only took ten minutes to flood my entire yard, Ive never seen it rain so hard in my life.

There were some tornado warnings but none were reported in our area.

Sorry for the downtime guys and gals but Mother Nature is in control whenever she feels the need.

Keith

Mike Wilkins
02-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Saw it first hand. Traveling through VA from MD on the way back to NC late yesterday. Got back to NC to see high winds, small lakes created from the rains, and tree limbs all over. Hope everyone is well and dry.

Bert Kemp
02-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Was a Huge storm my kids in NH are still getting flood warnings.
Glad your back up and running:)

Roger Feeley
02-25-2016, 10:47 AM
I was out in Falls Church, VA picking up pizza wearing a sweatshirt and the skies just opened up. But, hey, it's only water, right?

I went out after the storm to walk the dogs and noticed that the manhole cover over the rain sewer was about half off. Must have been some big rain.

Dave Anderson NH
02-25-2016, 11:59 AM
My wife alleges we had a huge thunder and lightning storm in the middle of the night. I didn't hear or see a thing.:D

Doug Ladendorf
02-25-2016, 4:45 PM
I wondered what happened with the site. Glad everything is OK. We had very heavy rain and wind in NJ. At one point about 10 PM I heard a roar and jumped up thinking it could be a tornado, but it died down pretty quickly. It was bad out there.

Doug

Larry Frank
02-25-2016, 8:22 PM
I will gladly trade you our 12" of heavy wet snow and blizzard winds for your down pour.

Len Mullin
02-26-2016, 3:15 AM
And here I was blaming it on my computer, I tried numerous different things to try to get on here to no avail.
Len

Keith Outten
02-26-2016, 3:43 AM
Larry,

You Win :)

Heavy wet snow and blizzard conditions are not my idea of a nice day...hope you see some warm sun soon.

Jim Becker
02-26-2016, 9:57 AM
Keith, I'm giving serious consideration at this point to a whole-house generator system as the "project for the year" at this point with the weather getting progressively more volatile as time passes. Being without Internet, etc, can be slightly maddening, but being without water, septic and heat is even less fun. I've wanted to do this for awhile, but it may be financially feasible now so research and thought is in progress.

Dave Anderson NH
02-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Go For it Jim. We put in a 14kw propane powered generator system 2 years ago because out in the woods where we live natural gas isn't available. We too got tired of no water, heat, or light for as much as 6-7 days. We are also at the end of the service are and the last to be restored after outages. Our outages now last between 10-15 seconds.

Allan Speers
02-26-2016, 2:00 PM
Yep.

We installed a 20K Generac 5875, abou three years ago. Best money I ever spent.

Dennis Peacock
02-26-2016, 3:40 PM
My wife alleges we had a huge thunder and lightning storm in the middle of the night. I didn't hear or see a thing.:D

My wife frequently says the same thing. One of these days....I'll get to hear what she hears. :)

Keith Outten
02-26-2016, 3:42 PM
A whole house generator would be the hot setup but I need a new roof and have a few other projects to fund before it can be on the schedule.
I do own a big generator that I store in my barn and I can bring up the necessary services but it takes time and I hate to think about having to connect it in the pouring rain.

Jim Becker
02-26-2016, 9:27 PM
Yea, I'm looking at a 20-22KW whole house unit (automatic transfer on the line from the meter) and we have natural gas from the street...a match made in heaven for us, I think.

Larry Frank
02-27-2016, 7:39 AM
I was out of town for the big snow storm here as I have mentioned earlier. We had over 12" of heavy wet snow.

Today, I have to replace the mailbox as some plow hit it.

When I got home, the power was back on as it had been out for 18 hours from the snow and 50 mph winds. I found that a number of my circuit breakers and GFCI had popped. My neighbor said there was a surge when the power came back on and he lost a TV. I also have a couple of good surge protectors that are not working. Probably will not be making sawdust today as I work to get things fixed.

Dave Anderson NH
02-27-2016, 9:37 AM
With only 2 of us in the house now we got the 14kw Generac with the auto transfer switch and with load shedding capabilities. It has worked wonderfully and we've never come close to taxing its capabilities. At the same time they installed the generator I had them put in a whole house surge suppressor since I'm paranoid about the quality of power from generators and we have had issues in the past with utility power surges after outages. I heartily recommend having it done along with the generator. Since I'm often a belt and suspenders kind of guy I still keep individual suppressors on all major appliances for extra insurance.

Brian Elfert
02-27-2016, 10:22 AM
I really should have a generator of some sort since I have well water at this house. I have a really nice diesel generator in my converted bus, but it is set up for 120 volts only and I need 240 volts for my well pump. It would be a fairly major pain to spend an hour or two switching it back to 240 volt operation, particularly in a rain storm.

I had a whole house generator in my previous house because the sump pump ran so much. I figured it cost a minimum of $50 an hour for every hour the generator ran in 12 years. It did run for three days straight after a major wind storm in 2013. It was only 8,000 watts, but I could even run my central A/C. I had a subpanel for circuits powered by the generator. For this house I will probably get a larger generator and a 200 amp transfer switch to avoid the subpanel. I see whole house generators cheap from time to time on Craigslist, but the ones that are a good deal are gone quickly.

Al Launier
02-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Jim, I don't see how you can go wrong. As seniors (69 & 73) we were considering moving south to avoid the winters & power outages. Thinking more about it we realized that contending with snow removal & loss of power was the culprit that was motivating our thoughts to move. Yet we love our home, our town/community, our neighbors & friends, and the seasonal changes. To resolve the snow removal I decided to hire a snow plow guy rather than snow blow the heavier storms, and we installed a 20KW Kohler standby generator to solve the power outage problems. Now we have peace of mind - no more worries! Plus, should we decide later on that maintaining a home becomes too much, the generator will add to the value of the home when we do sell it. The total cost of the 20KW generator (completely installed with all permits) amounted to $10,800.
GO FOR IT - YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Keith, I'm giving serious consideration at this point to a whole-house generator system as the "project for the year" at this point with the weather getting progressively more volatile as time passes. Being without Internet, etc, can be slightly maddening, but being without water, septic and heat is even less fun. I've wanted to do this for awhile, but it may be financially feasible now so research and thought is in progress.

Tony Zona
02-27-2016, 2:31 PM
If you're like me, after you install an automatic switching generator your commercial power outages will be minimal.

:)

Brian Elfert
02-27-2016, 6:22 PM
If you're like me, after you install an automatic switching generator your commercial power outages will be minimal.

Yep, exactly. Part of the reason I got a standby generator for my previous house was because of a massive storm that took out power for a week or more a few years before I built my house. I think in 12 years I had three outages although 2013 was almost three days. The others were just hours. (The local grocery store ran on generator for a good week after the massive storm. They had to move a lot of frozen/refrigerated goods to cases that had power as the generator didn't power the whole store.)

Jim Becker
02-27-2016, 8:54 PM

Yea, that's some kind of natural law. And if I pave the 400'+ of driveway, we'll get even less snow. :D

Brian Elfert
02-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Yea, that's some kind of natural law. And if I pave the 400'+ of driveway, we'll get even less snow. :D

I'm actually thinking of paving the rest of my driveway not because of snow, but because winters are getting to be a lot warmer. It snowed in December and then it warmed up into the 30s. The top layer of the gravel portion of my driveway melted and it kinda turned into soup. I couldn't use my snowblower because it dug into the gravel. The gravel portion is usually frozen when it snows.

Keith Outten
02-28-2016, 9:26 AM
It all falls under Murphy's Law doesn't it?
:)