PDA

View Full Version : Staining Cane

Eric Commarato
09-12-2005, 8:52 PM
I am building a couple of cherry benches that were profiled in a Fine Woodworking magazine a few years back. The bench in the mag is finished natural. The bench is cained with 5/8" wide cain. One of the benches I am giving to my mother-in-law for Christmas. She requested the bench be stained in the traditional dark cherry finish you see lots of bedroom suites done in. I must stain and finish coat the bench prior to running the cane. I think she will want the cain finished the same as the bench frame. Those of you who do caining know the cain has to be soaked prior to weaving. I can't stain the cain prior to soaking, so I have to do it after the bench cain is done. This presents a problem...how do I stain all of the hundreds of cracks and crevices of the woven cain? I could spray the stain, but I will get stain on the already finished frame. It a problem I really don't know how to deal with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Steve Schoene
09-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Haven't worked with cane but the first thing I'd do is check how well dye type stains work. Then you can flood on a dye stain and since the wood will be fully finished it would have little impact, especially if you wipe it down. I am assuming a film finish. Pigmented stains have a binder that would stick to other finishes (making it a glaze actually) but the dye wouldn't or not very much.

I'd certainly do lots of experimenting before I dried anything on the actual project.