PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Nyle L200 Dry Kiln system?

David Mealey
02-24-2016, 7:35 PM
Does anyone have the Nyle L200 system or another dehumidification system? I don't know the exact cost of the Nyle system yet but, saw a reference to 12K?

David Mealey
Milwaukie Oregon

Tom Hogard
02-25-2016, 3:33 PM
David,

12k may refer to the entire cost: L200M + enclosure + insulation + wiring. The L200M unit is closer to 7K.

Glenn Samuels
02-25-2016, 7:35 PM
I have the L53 with an automatic exhaust fan and a direct line to my computer to monitor the temperatures. I paid closer to $4500 and the construction costs including the insulated slab added another $5500. I have R36 all the way around the kiln. It definitely cost more than I originally allotted.

Scott T Smith
02-25-2016, 9:31 PM
David, I've been operating an L200 version for over 12 years. What would you like to know?

David Mealey
03-06-2016, 1:31 PM
Hi Scott,

As far as I can tell the Nyle systems is a fancy heat pump with fans. Would a DIY system that includes a dehumidifier that empties outside the kiln, a heat source and ample fans to keep airflow moving do the same? I spoke with a salesman at Nyle and still wasn't convinced that a DIY system would be any less efficient then theirs, except maybe in savings on the electric bill.

On another note, I think I jumped the gun on building a kiln a little bit but took an existing 12'x 16' dry room in my barn and raised the ceiling up to 14' to enable access with a small forklift. I'm now thinking the room might be bigger then I need. I'm in the NW where our winters rarely get below freezing but still I've sealed and insulated as best I can to about R20. I haven't put doors on yet and am debating whether to frame out swinging doors or install an insulated garage door. Do you have any feedback on what would be better?

Thanks,

David M

Danny Hamsley
03-07-2016, 7:52 AM
I also have the Nyle L53. The problem with the DIY system with dehumidifier is that room dehumidifiers are not designed to operate at temps required to run a kiln. Second problem is controlling the temp and humidity to control the drying. You have to dry the wood on a schedule, so you have to control the temp and humidity around desired set-points to regulate the drying. That is the real benefit of the Nyle system. The controller allows you to set the desired operating parameters to get the right drying force on the wood.

On a chamber that size, two doors that swing open with an enclosed trailer cam-lock to close the door tight against the seals works very well. Nyle sells the door seal kit so that you can get a great seal on the doors.

Rollie Kelly
03-07-2016, 9:47 AM
Consider using a 20' shipping container for your chamber. I bought 2 last summer ($1800 a piece) to move my shop. I used one for my machinery and the other for my wood stash. This one I welded in racks down both sides with a walkway in the center. With this set up, I could slide the planks in from the front and walk along and rearrange planks as needed.After filling the racks, I just infilled the aisle way. Granted, I was loading dry lumber and none over 14' but at that, loading isn't all that difficult. Once the plank is on the 1st cross member, the effort is greatly diminished. I do have to admit I grunted when I loaded the 12/4 x 12"x 10' white oak. Obviously, there would be some prep work required, insulation, racks, and such but no more than with a building. Too, they are absolutely weather proof with lockable and completely sealing doors.
I'm a 69 yr.old out of shape old man so if I can do it most others can too.
Rollie