PDA

View Full Version : New Plough Plane, with issues

Josh Nelson
02-24-2016, 5:34 PM
I've found a beautiful Ohio Tools Plough plane that besides one small flaw, was practically perfect and I went ahead and picked up for the price ($10!). The issue is that the front fence screw is broken about halfway along its length. I've read the theory on making wooden screws but its not something I've attempted before. Has anyone attempted fine wood threading before and did you purchase or make your own tap and die? If you made it, was it difficult?

I've given this thing a few test pushes through a couple of scrap pieces of red oak and its got a great glide so I'm thinking its worth the effort.

Jim Koepke
02-24-2016, 6:06 PM
Josh,

I always say, pictures can help. Can you post some images?

What is the thread size and pitch?

Do you have the piece that is broken off?

Does it look like it could be repaired?

There are some folks here who might be able to make or already have wooden threads that might work for your need.

jtk

Josh Nelson
02-24-2016, 7:57 PM
I'm going to have to let you guys know tomorrow thread size and pitch (we have a tornado on its way) but this is what I have. Unfortunately, there are no parts broken off though luckily the threaded arm, where it attaches to the fence is done so with simple tenon which in turn is screwed into the underside of the fence. I have no problem shaping a new arm necessarily, just cutting new thread.

Jim Belair
02-25-2016, 10:06 AM
I'd be using it within the limits of the remaining thread. Most ploughing is fairly close to the edge anyway.

Josh Nelson
02-25-2016, 12:17 PM
I'd be using it within the limits of the remaining thread. Most ploughing is fairly close to the edge anyway. Jim, That's what I'm thinking but honestly, I'm somewhat anal-retentive and I'm sure that this missing thread is going to bother me, not because I need the length (I tested it up to three inches in last night before the storm) but because I'm weird.

Jim Koepke
02-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Josh,

I have some pieces of wood thread rod that are not of use to me. They may be of different wood or not look as nice as what you have, but if they are the right size and pitch they might work for you.

It would be up to you to figure out how to let it in to the fence or attach it to the present thread.

Otherwise you might be able to make a simple thread box to make your own replacement.

Roy Underhill shows how he made one during an episode of The Woodwright's Shop.

jtk

Allan Speers
02-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Oddly, I just put two wooden plow planes on the curb, literally not ten minutes ago. Pickup is in the morning.

They're in good shape except no blades or wedges. Two different threads. One has the rods held in place with brass screws, down from the top. the other must be glued-in.

You can have them for the price of shipping, but they are somewhat heavy and bulky.

Josh Nelson
02-25-2016, 9:09 PM
Josh,

I have some pieces of wood thread rod that are not of use to me. They may be of different wood or not look as nice as what you have, but if they are the right size and pitch they might work for you.

It would be up to you to figure out how to let it in to the fence or attach it to the present thread.

Otherwise you might be able to make a simple thread box to make your own replacement.

Roy Underhill shows how he made one during an episode of The Woodwright's Shop.

jtk

And I've somehow missed that episode of Roy's before and it doesn't look that hard. Thank you Sir, I believe this may be the answer.

Oddly, I just put two wooden plow planes on the curb, literally not ten minutes ago. Pickup is in the morning.

They're in good shape except no blades or wedges. Two different threads. One has the rods held in place with brass screws, down from the top. the other must be glued-in.

You can have them for the price of shipping, but they are somewhat heavy and bulky.

Alan I appreciate it but I will kindly decline at this point. Again, its that whole anal-retentiveness.