PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Bench Chisels

Jon McElwain
02-24-2016, 2:33 PM
So, I've got a hundred dollar gift certificate for Woodcraft still left from Christmas that I would like to use to get a new set of chisels (probably cabinetmakers, bench, or maybe butt style). I've got an old set of Marples (with the blue handles) that have served me well. I know that they are not the best chisels, but with proper sharpening and care, they have done the job. Any recommendations for a set of 4 or 6 in the $100-$150 range at Woodcraft?

These are the ones I have looked at so far...

Fugikawa Chisel Set 6pc (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/161018/fugikawa-chisel-set-6pc.aspx)
Stanley SweetHeart 750 Series 4 Piece Set (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152818/stanley-sweetheart-750-series-4-piece-set.aspx)
pfeil Swiss made Butt Chisel Set of Four (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/05b12/pfeil-swiss-made-butt-chisel-set-of-four.aspx)

Thanks a bunch!

Jon

Jim Koepke
02-24-2016, 3:28 PM
The choice of chisel sets is more dependent on your work than many other factors.

If you were installing a lot of hinges by hand, the Swiss Butt chisels might be the best choice.

For dovetailing and other joinery tasks the Stanley set would be near the top of my list.

The Fugikawa set is in metric sizes. I do like metric chisels for some tasks. Clearing out a 3/4" dado with an 18mm chisel makes it less likely to splinter out the edges.

In case you didn't know, I have an eclectic accumulation of chisels. Closest to full sets are my Buck Brothers and Witherby chisels. My butt chisel set likely has at least four different makers. Then there are a lot of makers when it comes to my square sided chisels.

jtk

Brett Luna
02-24-2016, 3:39 PM
My first purchase of decent woodworking chisels were the Stanley Sweethearts (the 8-pc set) and I don't regret it at all. A lot of bang for the buck there, if bench chisels are what you need. I don't often run across situations where I absolutely need them but I do find myself thinking about picking up a small set of butt chisels from time to time.

Steve Voigt
02-24-2016, 3:47 PM
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but…with the Marples, you have a set of "decent but not great" chisels. I suspect that any of the choices you mentioned will be similar. I don't know the fujikawas but I've never heard anyone rave about them the way they do about Koyamaichis, or Lie Nielsens, or some of the other premium options. My concern is that you're going spend $100-150 and not get markedly better performance than what you've got now. I think you'd be better off spending that money on just 2 or 3 really nice chisels. (but, that doesn't help you with the gift cert.)

I started with the blue marples also. For me, upgrading was a matter of buying vintage chisels. That's a much cheaper route, but I got some dogs as well as gems, and I've spent a lot of hours restoring, regrinding, and handle making. That approach might not be for everyone.

Chris Hachet
02-24-2016, 3:56 PM
I have a set of the Wood River Chisels that I keep for work that is nice for hinge morticing or other basic carpentry tasks but they are no where as nice as my Lie Nielsons or my Japanese chisels. The Swiss set of butt chisels seems well made.

I have more chisels than I need, but keep extras on hand so I do not need to stop to sharpen during a work session. Thinking of getting a few paring chisels from Blue spruce. IMHO a few standard chisels kept razor sharp and then specialty chisels would be the way to go. I also ahve a set of the blue handled Marples as a back up set, they work well but are not as balanced or sweet to use as the LN chisels.

YMMV. Let us know how you like whatever you figure out!

Regards,

Chris

John Schtrumpf
02-24-2016, 6:22 PM
I have the Pfeil butt chisels and like them, but you should know what they are (see them in person if possible). They are palm sized chisels, the blades are thick for the size, the handles are slightly different shades, I sort of think of them as my mini FlintStone chisels. The primary bevels are 25 deg (I honed away the secondary bevel so mine are 25 deg full flat), the steel is the Pfeil chrome vanadium (which I like). I mainly use them to bevel a corner of a board to the line for shooting, and I also occasionally use them for small paring jobs (tweeking a little here or there).

Jon McElwain
02-24-2016, 6:58 PM
The choice of chisel sets is more dependent on your work than many other factors.
If you were installing a lot of hinges by hand, the Swiss Butt chisels might be the best choice.
For dovetailing and other joinery tasks the Stanley set would be near the top of my list.

I quite agree. Most of my work over the years have been hinges and such - and that is why I was looking at the Butt chisels. Stanley might be a better all around tool though.

I have the Pfeil butt chisels and like them, but you should know what they are (see them in person if possible).
I looked at them in person and seem well suited for what I do the most. However, they may end up being more specialized than an all purpose bevel edged chisel with lots of steel to sharpen over the years. I do like the feel and agility that the 6" length affords.

I have a set of the Wood River Chisels that I keep for work that is nice for hinge morticing or other basic carpentry tasks but they are no where as nice as my Lie Nielsons or my Japanese chisels. The Swiss set of butt chisels seems well made.

I have more chisels than I need, but keep extras on hand so I do not need to stop to sharpen during a work session. Thinking of getting a few paring chisels from Blue spruce. IMHO a few standard chisels kept razor sharp and then specialty chisels would be the way to go. I also have a set of the blue handled Marples as a back up set, they work well but are not as balanced or sweet to use as the LN chisels.

I've not used a set of Japan chisels, but of course I look longingly at them regularly. I certainly would love to have a set of Lie-Nielsons, but I don't use them often enough to break down and get them. Wait, who am I kidding, I have a whole shop full of tools that I don't use enough to justify - just don't tell my wife!

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but…with the Marples, you have a set of "decent but not great" chisels. I suspect that any of the choices you mentioned will be similar. I don't know the fujikawas but I've never heard anyone rave about them the way they do about Koyamaichis, or Lie Nielsens, or some of the other premium options. My concern is that you're going spend $100-150 and not get markedly better performance than what you've got now. I think you'd be better off spending that money on just 2 or 3 really nice chisels. (but, that doesn't help you with the gift cert.)

I started with the blue marples also. For me, upgrading was a matter of buying vintage chisels. That's a much cheaper route, but I got some dogs as well as gems, and I've spent a lot of hours restoring, regrinding, and handle making. That approach might not be for everyone.
I agree about the Marples. They have done a descent job and I have been happy to use them. They have been beat up for over 15 years and are now short and dinged up to the point that I would like to replace them with something at least as good, and if I can manage an upgrade, so be it. I will look at the possibility of just getting a couple of really nice chisels for now and maybe adding to them later as I have need and funds.
I have some vintage tools and I love them, but my shop time these days is pretty utilitarian. I've got 3 little girls who come to daddy with a broken this or that and a bunch of tears on a regular basis. I hope someday to do some more tool restoration projects, but for now I need tools that work out of the box.

My first purchase of decent woodworking chisels were the Stanley Sweethearts (the 8-pc set) and I don't regret it at all. A lot of bang for the buck there, if bench chisels are what you need. I don't often run across situations where I absolutely need them but I do find myself thinking about picking up a small set of butt chisels from time to time.
I've been reluctant to purchase Stanley tools simply because of their department store line of tools. Sure, I've got half a dozen Stanley tapes around and a drawer full of their screwdrivers, but it's hard to spend $130 on a set of four Stanley anything. My grandpa's Stanley No. 4 is a great plane, but it was made a long time ago. While I was growing up, Stanley tools were in decline. I know the Sweetheart line is supposed to atone for their past sins, but... Anyway, thanks for the positive recommendation. I'll take a close look as the general purpose chisel is really what I am after.

Thanks all!! Your input is appreciated!

Jon

Frederick Skelly
02-24-2016, 8:01 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Voigt;2533999]I don't want to be a wet blanket, but…with the Marples, you have a set of "decent but not great" chisels. I suspect that any of the choices you mentioned will be similar.

My concern is that you're going spend $100-150 and not get markedly better performance than what you've got now. [QUOTE]

I agree with Steve, Jon. I have the Blue Marples and they're good enough for everything I do at my current skill level. Plenty of other useful tools at WC that you can spend that $100 on. :) They are having a big sale March 4-5 with up to 15% off of everything they sell - includes WR planes (nice enough if you need on), marking knives (really nice pfeil stuff @ WC), etc.

Fred

Chris Hachet
02-25-2016, 9:55 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Voigt;2533999]I don't want to be a wet blanket, but…with the Marples, you have a set of "decent but not great" chisels. I suspect that any of the choices you mentioned will be similar.

My concern is that you're going spend $100-150 and not get markedly better performance than what you've got now. [QUOTE]

I agree with Steve, Jon. I have the Blue Marples and they're good enough for everything I do at my current skill level. Plenty of other useful tools at WC that you can spend that $100 on. :) They are having a big sale March 4-5 with up to 15% off of everything they sell - includes WR planes (nice enough if you need on), marking knives (really nice pfeil stuff @ WC), etc.

Fred

A Wood River #5 might be a nice addition-try two blades, one with some camber, one with just the corners rounded. You will be astonished at how useful it becomes in your shop.

Jon McElwain
02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
So I found out yesterday that my gift certificate will work on Japan Woodworker. I think I might go for a couple of the Matsumura chisels. 1/2" and 3/4" are my most often used. Thoughts?

Tony Zaffuto
02-25-2016, 1:18 PM
So I found out yesterday that my gift certificate will work on Japan Woodworker. I think I might go for a couple of the Matsumura chisels. 1/2" and 3/4" are my most often used. Thoughts?

Good alternative, though I might lean towards a 3/8" instead of the 1/2". Seems I'm always using a 3/8", 3/4" and 1".

Jon McElwain
02-25-2016, 2:05 PM
Okay, next question: the White Steel is around 15-20% less cost than the blue steel. I do some joinery work from time to time, but these are certainly not going to be full time tools for me. Any reason to not go white steel on the Matsumura chisels?

Aaron Rappaport
02-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Back when the Japanese Woodworking listserve was up and going a lot of people complained about Matsumuras chipping easily. I own two and so far they do indeed chip easily, even with a 34 degree bevel on one of them. So, my experience and a number of other peoples' would be data points against the Matsumuras. I've heard good things about Grizzly's bargain Japanese chisels, but haven't tried them myself.

Kirby Krieger
02-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Okay, next question: the White Steel is around 15-20% less cost than the blue steel. I do some joinery work from time to time, but these are certainly not going to be full time tools for me. Any reason to not go white steel on the Matsumura chisels?

The difference between the blue and the white is (other than the paper the steel supplier wraps them in) more one of steel (literally) than of quality. The blue are harder and therefore more prone to chipping. They also are harder to sharpen — but will hold an edge longer. The white is less hard, easier to sharpen, and less prone to chipping. As far as I can tell — I'm a beginner with little experience woodworking but ample experience with tools — the white is generally a better choice.

I recently purchased a 2" Matsumura white-steel bench chisel via Japan Woodworking for c. $125. The quality was not excellent — I had to spend some time lapping the back, and I re-sharpened (by hand) the blade to 25°, then added a micro-bevel. Additionally, the end ferrule was loose. It's a fine tool to work with — I have no trouble whatsoever with the steel or the edge. It's my only Japanese chisel.

My recommendation is that you purchase a high-quality chisel that you will use a lot. Buy a ½ or ¾" Matsumura white-steel (though only blue steel may be available), or a Lie-Neilsen version of it. If you don't have a complete sharpening set-up readily available, spend any left-over part of the certificate on that.

Sets are for people who aren't trying to maximize the value of a $100 purchase 😊 .

Derek Cohen
02-26-2016, 12:09 AM
Good alternative, though I might lean towards a 3/8" instead of the 1/2". Seems I'm always using a 3/8", 3/4" and 1".

:)

And my three most commonly used sizes are 1/8", 3/16" (tails) and 3/4" (pins and general).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff L Jump
02-26-2016, 2:39 PM
Last year I purchased the 6 pc WoodRiver chisel set with the Bubinga handles. I like them very much however I regret buying the 6 pc set. As others have mentioned, I mostly use 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" chisels, the 5/8" chisel I could do without, it never gets used. A 4 pc set would have served me just as well and saved me a few dollars. The alloy used in these chisels (in my experience) is slightly brittle out of the box, once the chisel is sharpened a few times that brittleness is lessened. I also purchased a set of Narex chisels (2 sets actually) and like these chisels as well, great value for the money and these chisels have a nice slim cross section.

JJ

Clay Parrish
02-26-2016, 5:01 PM
I've got the new Stanley Sweetheart chisels, and I've liked them just fine. You can sometimes find them used on Amazon under the Amazon Warehouse Deals, which can discount them a bit.

Tony Zaffuto
02-26-2016, 7:18 PM
:)

And my three most commonly used sizes are 1/8", 3/16" (tails) and 3/4" (pins and general).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, always said your work is much finer than mine! How have you been?

T.

Derek Cohen
02-27-2016, 1:08 AM
Good Tony! Are you running out of daughters or any more weddings in the air? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Zaffuto
02-27-2016, 7:46 AM
Good Tony! Are you running out of daughters or any more weddings in the air? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Two married, each with boys and each with girls on the way. Daughter #3 just turned 16 and the other day, had a boy pick her up for a date and it starts all over.

On of the grandsons has really taken to "working" with a hamer and screwdriver. Mom says nothing sharp yet! I would bet your mind could come with a hypothesis and scientific experiments to test sharpening methods?

Derek Cohen
02-27-2016, 8:22 AM
Your grandson must have your genes! As yet, my son has not shown any interest since he starred in a review of a block plane. Perhaps one day ...

Best regards

Derek

Jon McElwain
03-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice on some bench chisels! I ended up with two White Steel Mastumura chisels, 3/8" and 3/4". So far I like them a lot. Same comments that others have made above: the 3/4" chipped a tiny piece of of the corner, they sharpen easily but needed the back worked on, loose ferrule, but I also live in a very dry climate and I am accustomed to such wood movement. A few strokes of the mallet and the ferrule is already starting to tighten. They were lighter than I expected, but then I am used to a plastic handle in my old Marples chisels.

I grabbed a couple small pieces of scrap and tried chopping out some dovetails to try out the chisels. Anyone see the glaring error in the pin board?

Jim Koepke
03-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Anyone see the glaring error in the pin board?

Edge grain instead of end grain?

It looks better than some of my glaring dovetails.

So, what is the error?

jtk

Jon McElwain
03-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Edge grain instead of end grain?

It looks better than some of my glaring dovetails.

So, what is the error?

jtk

You got it - edge grain vs. end grain. Bugger to cut!!