PDA

View Full Version : Gluing old plastic laminate

Rick Johnston
02-24-2016, 8:55 AM
It's an old countertop that's previously been fixed with CA glue once and contact cement before that. It's a loose edge that's come up and replacement not a consideration now.
The edge has come for about 3" - anything better than gorilla glue that sticks to nearly anything and Thin enough that I can work the adhesive in with a knife blade?

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-24-2016, 9:01 AM
Nothing will probably be permanent due to the existing contact cement.
Epoxy might be the best bet, though.

Tom Ewell
02-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Not much help but back in the day, one could just squirt some lacquer thinner under the edge and peel back the laminate enough prop up and get under it and hit it again with fresh solvent based contact cement, let it air dry per normal pull the props and press it back in place, some rolling/clamping would help too.

Of course this assumes solvent based cement was initially used to fix the top to begin with.

Jeff Duncan
02-25-2016, 7:35 PM
If the contact is still present try using an iron and heating the laminate a bit first. Won't cost you anything and might get the adhesive to re-activate and hold.

good luck,
JeffD

Lee Schierer
02-25-2016, 8:28 PM
I hate the new contact adhesive. Even with multiple coats on both pieces before sticking them together it doesn't hold very well. We had custom counters made for our church kitchen and withing 2 years some of the edging was coming loose. I put pieces back using 2-3 coats of contact cement and that worked for about 6 months. I made a sewing cabinet for my wife over 40 years ago using plastic laminate bonded with contact cement none of the edges or surfaces have come loose.

Mike Kees
02-25-2016, 9:15 PM
What Tom said.... I use a syringe to squirt the laquer thinner.

Tom Ewell
02-26-2016, 10:12 AM
I hate the new contact adhesive. Even with multiple coats on both pieces before sticking them together it doesn't hold very well. We had custom counters made for our church kitchen and withing 2 years some of the edging was coming loose. I put pieces back using 2-3 coats of contact cement and that worked for about 6 months. I made a sewing cabinet for my wife over 40 years ago using plastic laminate bonded with contact cement none of the edges or surfaces have come loose.
You're right, the old stuff, despite it's warts, worked a treat. We even used it to bond aluminum cladding to old window sills on site (to avoid fasteners) and it's still holding strong after many a year.

Messy, stunk, flammable, bad for the eco.... but boy it worked :)

johnny means
02-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Peel up your edge as much as possible.
Prop it open.
Clean off old adhesive as best as possible.
Let dry.
Spray contact adhesive onto both surfaces.
Let dry.
Let dry some more.
Let dry after you think it's dry.
Stick as usual.

We regularly have to return old, peeling laminate for exhibit booths and displays that are constantly being moved and abused. This should give you like new adhesion.

Rick Johnston
02-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Tks for the replies.

Gary Thinglum
03-13-2016, 1:29 PM
I've worked with Plastic Laminates for many years. I have yet to see any of the come loose. I apply two coats on the MDF, or wood. When I apply the second coat on the MDF, I put the first coat on the formica. With only one coat on the MDF, it will soak in. I have done this with the V-32 formica (thinner formica) and also with the countertop formica. Also, another thing I have seen when some people put the formica on they do not file the edges to remove the sharp edge left by the router. Some just run the router bit over it and leave it. Hold the file at an angle, and supporting it with your fingers, then slide the file along the joint and keep filing until you remove the rough edge. It takes a bit of practice but, is worth with the nice smooth edge you get. You have to be careful you don't file the edge of the other piece.