PDA

View Full Version : Is this new router bit safe?

Dan Friedrichs
02-23-2016, 7:05 PM
Ordered a Freud spiral upcut bit from Amazon (needed it quickly so wanted to use the Prime option, otherwise I'd have probably bought a different brand). Bit arrived and looks like the attached pictures. Is this....normal? The paint is all sloppy, but I'm worried about the "chunky" looking interface between the shaft and the shank. I figure this is either a case of, "Nah, it's fine, use it", or "Oh god don't even try to use that!", but I'm not sure which :)

Chris Padilla
02-23-2016, 7:27 PM
I would have expected better from Freud but it seems that it would function fine. I wonder if any of that slag on there might cause a slight wobble to the bit as it's cutting? You might wanna try it on some scrap first to gauge the cut. I bet it'll be fine.

Mark W Pugh
02-23-2016, 8:29 PM
Why is it burnt/black on the top? To me this looks like a used/abused bit. I would send it back.

Is this is no kidding how it arrived? If it is, send it back.

Dan Friedrichs
02-23-2016, 8:47 PM
Mark, I think that's just the light reflecting funny off the spiral. It's definitely unused.

Peter Kuhlman
02-23-2016, 8:48 PM
Definitely does not look correct. I have many Freud bits and they are all very nicely manufactured - nothing like that! Doesn't Home Depot still sell Freud bits in your area? Looks like just a straight cutter available in big box stores.

al heitz
02-23-2016, 8:57 PM
AMAZON, huh? Do you remember if the item was new or used? Sounds used to me. So there may be no recourse. If it was supposed to be new, I would definitely return it. (Can I say this ??? Just for the record, prices on routerbitworld.com are excellent and usually cheaper than Amazon. Shipping is only $1.00. Also very quick on delivery.)

Dan Friedrichs
02-23-2016, 9:11 PM
It is definitely not used. I'm worried about the slag and the rough looking machining, which wouldn't be impacted by use, anyways...

Peter, it's a spiral upcut - not something the big box would carry.

Anthony Whitesell
02-23-2016, 9:46 PM
Lowe's carries spiral up and down cut bits. ALL of the spiral up or down cut bits I have used are one piece. The shadow in the picture is curious. also the 'chunky' part looks like the spiral is brazed to the shank. I have never seen that before and nor have I seen a "two-piece" HSS or carbide spiral bit.

Lee Schierer
02-23-2016, 10:03 PM
I have the same bit that I purchased several years ago. Even with use, it looks better than yours. I would return it and order a replacement. Here's mine, it also has a high speed steel body with a carbide cutting section.....
I also purchase bits from Routerbitworld and have never been disappointed. The 1/2 shank bit shown is $36.33 from Routerbitworld.

Frank Hagan
02-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Is it from Amazon or one of their "marketplace sellers"? I'm wondering if it is a fake or a "second" that the "maketplace seller" is not disclosing. I actually like Freud bits because they have always been well made. I would return it.

Dan Friedrichs
02-23-2016, 11:03 PM
It was from Amazon, not a 3rd party.

Here's another pic just to show that the cutting portion isn't "burned" or discolored or anything. It's razor sharp, no nicks - unquestionably a brand new, never used bit.

I'll send it back to Amazon and order a Whiteside (like I should have, the first time)

mreza Salav
02-23-2016, 11:15 PM
I have a few of those bits (3/8" Freud spiral) and none look like that. I'd replace it as well.
I am a customer of routerbitworld as well, they have very good selection, very good price, and excellent service (Richard is the guy, very happy customer).

Art Mann
02-24-2016, 12:33 AM
I'll send it back to Amazon and order a Whiteside (like I should have, the first time)

Every manufacturer puts out defects occasionally. I normally use Whiteside V bits on my CNC router. I have worn out several. The last time I ordered, I received a Whiteside bit that was so blunt at the point that it was unusable. I went to Woodcraft and bought a Freud replacement because I had a job to get out quickly. It looked and worked flawlessly. I am just glad you have the time to get a replacement, although the Freud would probably worked okay.

glenn bradley
02-24-2016, 8:31 AM
I'm a Whiteside guy but, Freud bits are pretty good. The appearance is disconcerting and anything that I spin at near-30k RPM would want to have unquestioning faith in. It may be just fine but, I too would return it for another.

P.s. Brian Holbren gets Whiteside stuff to me in Cali from FLA in just a few days, usually two. I'm not sure how that happens :confused:

Marty Tippin
02-24-2016, 10:50 AM
I'd return it and get a Whiteside instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K2BGRE Cheaper and better quality and available for Amazon Prime shipping.

Dan Friedrichs
02-24-2016, 11:17 AM
I'd return it and get a Whiteside instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K2BGRE Cheaper and better quality and available for Amazon Prime shipping.

I almost bought that, but it's 3/8" shank. The 1/2" shank is $45 (but I bought it anyways)

Marty Tippin
02-24-2016, 11:23 AM
I almost bought that, but it's 3/8" shank. The 1/2" shank is $45 (but I bought it anyways)
Glad you caught that - I didn't notice (nor did I even know there was such a thing as a 3/8" shank for a router bit...) - For anyone else reading this thread, here's the 1/2" shank version http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-RU4900-Standard/dp/B000K28U2I

Rick Potter
02-24-2016, 3:04 PM
Probably meant to fit a Castle pocket cutting machine.

al heitz
02-24-2016, 7:43 PM
I've also used Holbren in Florida quite happily. Brian will do you right. NOTE: they changed their website to routerbits.com back in November.

Howard Acheson
02-25-2016, 9:58 AM
Looks like someone tried to use the bit without cleaning off the red protective shipping coating.

Dan Friedrichs
02-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Looks like someone tried to use the bit without cleaning off the red protective shipping coating.

It didn't come with a rubbery coating, though. The red is just the Freud paint that they put on the non-cutting surfaces of their bits - the paint is nicely applied, it's just applied all over a bunch of slag or welding splatter.

Jeff Monson
02-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Looks like the welder ran out of argon and got a sloppy weld on that bit. I have several Freud bits and none look like that. QC must have been on break when that one rolled through.

pat warner
02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Not sure about this, but it is likely.
Certain solid carbide cutter designs cost too much to grind from 1/2" stock.
As a result, (WMC et.al. do this), they'll create a solid carbide tool with the most
economic shank, drill a steel blank and weld it in.
This tool looks like that.
As such, if its CD = 3/8, then the wall thickness of the shank = 1/16"!
If that is indeed the case, I'd trade it for 3/8 solid carbide analog yesterday.

Keith Hankins
02-26-2016, 8:15 AM

ya beat me to it. :) Whiteside and made in America

Chris Hachet
02-26-2016, 8:23 AM
It was from Amazon, not a 3rd party.

Here's another pic just to show that the cutting portion isn't "burned" or discolored or anything. It's razor sharp, no nicks - unquestionably a brand new, never used bit.

I really love Whiteside bits. I am mostly a hand tool wood worker....but when I use a Router, I find Whiteside works better than anything.

Wayne Jolly
02-26-2016, 2:26 PM
If you have to ask, exchange it.

Wayne

Dan Friedrichs
03-06-2016, 3:26 PM
Update: Returned it and bought a Whiteside.

I did attempt to contact Freud, even including a picture and asking for a response, but they never replied...