PDA

View Full Version : Facebook useful after all

Tom M King
02-23-2016, 2:11 PM
We received a notice that our email account needed to have some room freed up, or we would need to purchase storage room with Google. Our Outlook is set up so business emails that get past the Spam filters go to All Mail, and don't bother us in the Inbox. I started looking in All Mail to see what I could get rid of. I used the search box at the top of the Outlook page to isolate some of the businesses by name, and deleted the pages of emails from them.

Then I got to a Facebook request for something. I did a search for Facebook in the search box to select all those to delete. It highlighted virtually every one of the emails from businesses that I never wanted to spend time looking at. I guess they had some mention of Facebook in their advertising email. I selected all those, and deleted thousands of pages of stuff we had never looked at back through 2009.

Thanks Facebook. I finally found a use for you.

Brian Henderson
02-23-2016, 6:23 PM
I don't get people who just stockpile e-mails. I delete 99% of everything I ever get without looking at it. It's mostly spam. I keep only those things I need and get rid of the rest. At most, that's one or two e-mails per day and those usually go into the dumper once I'm done responding to them.

Tom M King
02-23-2016, 6:34 PM
These are ones I never saw, or bothered with. It only took me five minutes to delete 41,121 emails, and that long because I didn't luck out with the Facebook search first. I doubt I could have spent less time deleting them one at a time over those years. They never bothered me a bit, until Google notified us that we either needed to clear out space, or buy some. The Spam folder gets deleted whenever I think about it, so it might get a few pages long, but it never bothers me either. Both mine, and my Wife's email addresses are publicly listed, so otherwise we would be having to spend some amount of time deleting these that we didn't have to look at this way.

roger wiegand
02-23-2016, 8:24 PM
Between Gmail or Yahoo filtering on the server side and SpamSieve on the client side it is rare that I ever see a spam message these days. I think the spam crisis is behind us, at least for the moment-- and the good guys won for a change!

Tom M King
02-23-2016, 8:35 PM
Yeah, the Gmail filters are working just fine for us. I never even see the stuff I don't care about, except for the few minutes time today to delete several years worth of them. If I knew how to get Gmail to automatically delete them it would be great, but I haven't spent any time trying to figure that out.

Curt Harms
02-24-2016, 6:13 AM
Between Gmail or Yahoo filtering on the server side and SpamSieve on the client side it is rare that I ever see a spam message these days. I think the spam crisis is behind us, at least for the moment-- and the good guys won for a change!

You haven't spent much time on NFL.com in the comments sections powered by Facebook, I take it?:). At least 1/4 and sometimes 1/2 of the responses are spam. They might be able to get rid of it but they haven't so far.

roger wiegand
02-24-2016, 8:50 AM
You haven't spent much time on NFL.com in the comments sections powered by Facebook, I take it?:). At least 1/4 and sometimes 1/2 of the responses are spam. They might be able to get rid of it but they haven't so far.

That would be true. :D