PDA

View Full Version : Dust Right Lathe Dust Collection System....anyone try it yet?

George Farra
02-23-2016, 1:35 PM
Hi All

I see Rockler has added a lathe dust collection system to their Dust Right line up. Wondering if anyone here has given it a try and whether its worth buying. I can see the benefit of this when sanding on the lathe, but when turning and chips are flying towards the operator I cant imagine this has enough sucking action to overcome that....but I could be wrong.

Thoughts??

Thanks

George

John Grace
02-23-2016, 1:47 PM
Can you send a web link? thanks...

Roger Chandler
02-23-2016, 2:18 PM
Hi All

I see Rockler has added a lathe dust collection system to their Dust Right line up. Wondering if anyone here has given it a try and whether its worth buying. I can see the benefit of this when sanding on the lathe, but when turning and chips are flying towards the operator I cant imagine this has enough sucking action to overcome that....but I could be wrong.

Thoughts??

Thanks

GeorgeI use the dust right fittings and hose [the springy one that stretches out like a slinky] with my 1200 cfm dust collector. I use the 4 inch wand to vacuum up shavings in my shop. Especially good for all the shavings that collect behind the lathe!

I have the mating fittings on all my major tools, and just connect the hose to whichever machine I am using. I really like my setup....I think it is a great system. The lathe collection port, well....... I do not know about that. It looks small to me, looks mostly for spindle work, and I use a big gulp hood on a sliding base so I can move it in and out as needed, and it shrouds most turnings and collects the dust very well. Here are a couple pics:

332332 332333
Here is a pic of the sliding tongue & groove base the big gulp hood sits on. 332334
This set up works very well in catching sanding dust.....I do not try to catch the curlees from the gouge as I feel that is mostly a effort in futility!

Jeramie Johnson
02-24-2016, 12:17 PM
I have that same one, works well. I would like to make a system like the below for it.