PDA

View Full Version : Nova Comet II

bob starkey
02-23-2016, 1:03 PM
I like both the Delta and Nova midi lathes. Now looking more at the Nova.

I'm sure thishas been talked about.

Is there a problem with the tail stock being secureafter it's handle in set in the tighten position?

Michael Mills
02-23-2016, 1:56 PM
To me it is more convenient than having it on the rear (back side).
It only takes 1/4 turn. I prefer it unlocked with the handle pointed to the rear and locked with the handle parallel with the bed.
My daughter is a leftie and she likes it unlocked parallel with the bed and locked with the handle pointing to the front.

Thomas Canfield
02-23-2016, 10:45 PM
My original Comet II had a bad casting that prevented a good lock, but a little filing corrected the contact area. The replacement lathe was much better. There can be a little creep on the tailstock, but better than the original Jet 10" with the round washer slippage. It will hold enough pressure on the bearings of a live center to cause bearing failure if you are not careful.

Ed Gurganus
02-23-2016, 11:31 PM
I've had a Comet II for about 18 months. No issues at all with the tail stock moving.

I've been quite happy with the Comet, can't really compare it to any other current midi lathes as this is the only one I've used. Compared to the big shop lathes I used 35 years ago, the Comet is much more pleasant to turn on...