PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting your miter saw, what a difference

Scott Brandstetter
02-23-2016, 12:14 PM
I even hate to admit this but, my ridgid sliding compound miter has always been efficient for rough cutting but was never great for exact miters and so forth. Stupid me just accepted this as "thats what you get at this price point". WRONG. I watched a video on how to adjust and the light finally went off. Took about 10 minutes and now a different saw.

Just thought I'd embarrass myself to protect fellow members from doing the same.

Bryan Cramer
02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Scott FYI, I don't see any attached video.

Daniel O'Neill
02-23-2016, 1:36 PM
I'm right with you. My left wing of the table saw wasn't ever truly flat. When I got it in pieces there is a plastic guard that protects the arbor & the pulley that has to be removed. I got the wing really close to level but recently the guard must have pushed the wing back up because it's been almost scary lately. I was going to make a cut last night and decided to take it apart and try and fix it. 6 screws & bolts out and back in for a simple fix. I didn't have the manual when I first got the saw and have since found a digital copy that helped me realize that the guard was only for shipping. I think that little differential messed up a lot of boards :|
Well adjusted tools are a pleasure to use :)

Tom Ewell
02-23-2016, 1:41 PM
Yep, tuning and maintaining tools is all part of it.
Ain't no Jiffy Lube for woodworking 'far as I know.

Scott Brandstetter
02-23-2016, 3:38 PM
Here you go Bryan. Simple but useful. I did fast forward quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxe7rbxs82A

Scott FYI, I don't see any attached video.

John TenEyck
02-23-2016, 4:32 PM
Bosch did me the "favor" of making sure my 12" DCMS didn't cut square in any plane, nor were the angles correct. I almost and probably should have taken it back but I needed a saw the next day so I went through the well written manual and adjusted the saw. It took nearly 2 hours I think but cut beautifully when I was done, and has remained in good alignment for the 5 years I've owned it.

John

Wes Ramsey
02-23-2016, 4:55 PM
I used to have a Delta miter saw with a twisted fence. Never noticed until I tried to make a few decent cuts and it just couldn't cut square if the board overlapped both sides. I had a machine shop mill it flat and it did great until I sold it. It isn't always how much (or little) you pay for a tool that makes it valuable - sometimes the perfect setup on a lower-end tool will get you all the precision you need.

Bryan Cramer
02-23-2016, 5:09 PM
Here you go Bryan. Simple but useful. I did fast forward quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxe7rbxs82A

Got it thanks!