PDA

View Full Version : Split ferrules on narex premium chisels

David Ryle
02-23-2016, 7:06 AM
Recently my wife purchased as a surprise gift a set of Narex premium bench chisels, after everything I'd read about them and clearly mentioned on more than one occasion, Sue took the hint,lucky me.
On opening and starting to tune them up I quickly became aware that six out of ten of the chisels had split ferrules,my question is is this normal for Narex or did I just pull the short straw?

Charles Wiggins
02-23-2016, 7:07 AM
No problems with mine purchased about two years ago.

lowell holmes
02-23-2016, 9:38 AM
My Narex chisels, both mortise and paring chisels are fine, as good as most others.

I still hold Ray Ailes and Lie Nielsen chisels to be special.

Chris Hachet
02-23-2016, 9:50 AM
My Narex chisels, both mortise and paring chisels are fine, as good as most others.

I still hold Ray Ailes and Lie Nielsen chisels to be special.

Narex chisels working fine for me 2-3 years alter, LN are my go to chisels...want Ashley Isles woodworking Mortice chisels as a future purchase.

lowell holmes
02-23-2016, 10:28 AM
My mortise chisels are Ray Iles chisels from Tools for working wood and some cheap Narex. The Narex are good, just don't have the same feel(?) , maybe I'm a snob.

I have LN bench and some mortise chisels. I like the square mortise chisels for some applications. If I'm whacking away at a mortise, I prefer the Ray Iles.

Does Ashley Isles make mortise chisels?

Jim Koepke
02-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Recently my wife purchased as a surprise gift a set of Narex premium bench chisels, after everything I'd read about them and clearly mentioned on more than one occasion, Sue took the hint,lucky me.
On opening and starting to tune them up I quickly became aware that six out of ten of the chisels had split ferrules,my question is is this normal for Narex or did I just pull the short straw?

Howdy David and welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't include a location and ever the curious one I wonder where people call home.

My advice would be to talk to the people where your wife purchased the chisels. I only have a single mortising chisel from Narex and do not even recall details about the ferrules.

If they were the top ferrules, I might just replace them myself. The lower ferrules would be more difficult.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
02-23-2016, 11:37 AM
David...what Jim K said. New chisels with split ferrules are defective, plain and simple. The seller should replace the entire set without question.

Tony Zaffuto
02-23-2016, 12:29 PM
I have a number of Narex-my wife seems taken with the ad copy on the various woodworking sites, such as LV & Highland. I find them perfectly fine users, though I've replaced the handles on most. Somehow, they seem to work better with either a LV "London pattern handle" or one of my own making!

Patrick Chase
02-23-2016, 2:12 PM

I have Narex bench, mortise, and paring chisels. No split ferrules on any of them. Sounds like a QA issue with your set.

As others have said they aren't in the same league as L-N, Veritas, Blue Spruce etc, but they've been very good chisels for me.

Matt Knights
02-23-2016, 2:38 PM
I also have narex mortice and premium chisels and all are fine.

Matt

george wilson
02-23-2016, 2:56 PM
Return them.

Pat Barry
02-23-2016, 6:31 PM
I just looked at the set of 7 Narex bench chisels that I recently received from LV and they are good (not cracked). A couple of the top hoops are a bit loose but in no danger of coming off.

David Ryle
02-23-2016, 8:05 PM
Central wisconsin

David Ryle
02-23-2016, 8:09 PM
Thanks for the input gentlemen and yes it is the lower ferrule that has the problem I'm toying with returning the set or replacing the ferrules myself,truth is they sharpen nicely and quickly. I own Narex mortise chisels,solid workhorses to a one no complaints.