PDA

View Full Version : Are these all turning gouges?

Mark Gibney
02-22-2016, 11:42 PM
I picked these up at a yard sale. Far as I know the tool on the right is a scraper, the one in the middle is a skew. I don't know what the one on the left is, or if it is even a turning gouge.

I'm hoping it is a roughing gouge for spindles, I need to turn some simple legs (I did some turning years ago), and am hoping I can regrind this tool. What do you guys think?332301

Ken Andersen
02-23-2016, 12:45 AM
I think you are right on the round nose scraper, but what you think is a skew I believe is also a scraper (turn it over). The last one is indeed a gouge, but not a turning gouge. This one is a chisel for handwork such as carving out a cove. Turning gouges are sharpened on the outside of the flute.

Reed Gray
02-23-2016, 12:49 AM
Yea, like Ken said, top one is a round nose scraper. The middle one could be sharpened to be a skew. From the socket on the bottom one, and the size, my first thought was a timber framing chisel.

robo hippy

Michelle Rich
02-23-2016, 4:52 AM
this gal thinks the back 2 are scrapers, and the front is NOT a spindle gouge

Thom Sturgill
02-23-2016, 8:50 AM
I agree the top 2 are scrapers and the bottom a carving gouge or timber 'slick'. Next question - are they HSS or Carbon Steel? If the are Carbon Steel they are of limited use. If HSS they should work fine. If the bottom one is HSS it should still not be reground as a turning gouge, the socket does not provide enough strength for the forces of turning, IMHO.

Mark Gibney
02-23-2016, 9:31 AM
Thanks guys. And gal!

I'll keep the big carving gouge / slick to one side as a curio.