PDA

View Full Version : Shapening Batty Vortex Tool

David Delo
02-22-2016, 7:53 PM
I picked up a unused Stuart Batty Vortex Tool the other day. It's sharpened for use right out of the tube but when I do want to refresh, do you sharpen on the grinder or do you refresh on a diamond hone like Cindy Drozda desmonstrates on her video?( sort of like putting a new edge on a EWT carbide tool) The paperwork included shows a pic sharpening on the grinder at what looks like about a 20 degree angle. It's such a pointy tool, looks like you could get rid of the original point somewhat easily if your not careful. Looks to be along the same lines as sharpening a 40/40 grind as far as movement goes only at a different angle. Is that correct assumption???? Any sharpening pointers for this tool.....much appreciated.

Reed Gray
02-22-2016, 9:42 PM
No real idea. Ashley Harwood uses it also, but I don't know if she has sharpening instructions or not.

robo hippy

Pat Scott
02-23-2016, 9:50 AM
I have a Vortex, sharpen it like you would a roughing gouge. Put the platform at 20 degrees and hold the tool so it's perpendicular to the wheel. Keep the tool perpendicular and rotate it back and forth. Do not swing the tool like you would a bowl or spindle gouge or else you'll round off the point. The bevel angle is 20 degrees, and the "included" angle is 40 degrees. Think of the included angle as if you were to hold the tool with the flat part of the shaft up, and shove it straight into the wood, it would make a 40 degree V cut.

David Delo
02-23-2016, 2:53 PM
Thanks Pat. Good explanation and understood.