PDA

View Full Version : First time saw sharpening

Daniel Rode
02-22-2016, 4:57 PM
I have a few dull hand saws that I've acquired over the last year or so. So I made a saw vice and ordered a selection of saw files. I've watched watched videos and asked questions here, so I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of how to do it. Ron Herman's video was probably the most helpful and so I mostly followed his technique. I was very careful to take the same stroke every time. Even pressure and the full file length.

I had a junker rip back saw that I started on. It was so dull the teeth looked rounded over. After a jointing pass with a file, I followed the existing tooth angle by eye and ran down the line twice before it looked sharp. I tried it and it cut OK. It pulled right and jammed a bit.

The next saw was a 70's era Disston 11pt rip saw. This time I used a block on the end of the file to help me keep an consistent rake angle. Twice down the line and it felt sharp. You can see when the tooth is sharp easier than I thought. Magnifying eyeglasses are a big help. I ripped some 5/4 wanlut and some 8/4 pine. I was kind of shocked. It cut fast (for an 11pt saw) and tracked a straight line with no effort.

Next was a somewhat older 9pt Disston rip saw. It's probably from the 50s or 60s. Not very elegant, but still well made. I'd already down some work on the handle to make it more comfortable but it was dull. Again, twice seemed to be enough to get all the teeth sharp and the block made holding the rake angle easy. Once again, it cut fast and held a like. Both saws had comfortable kerfs, so the did not need any set.

The last saw is an 18" "boys saw" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229074-Saw-restoration-1-hour-amp-1&highlight=) It's like a panel saw but even shorter. It came filed rip and appears to have about 11 tpi. I got it off eBay with the idea of having a small hybrid saw for the bench or a small tool box. This was my first attempt at adding fleam. I made a pair of blocks with a 1/8" hole drilled at 15 degrees. I eyed the rake angle at about 15 degrees as well. This time, I took two strokes on each tooth. I used a marker to color the teeth and filed every other tooth. I swapped blocks and took two strokes on the odd teeth.

I gave the small saw a try cutting both rip and crosscut on a test piece. I was able to track 1/32" away from my line the entire distance. I was surprised for a couple of reasons. First, the saw outperformed my wildest expectations. The saw cut nicely rip and x-cut in 4/4 stock. It was fast but still fairly easy to start. Most surprising was my ability to follow a line that closely with any had saw. I mostly do joinery with hand tools and use the machines to break stock down or make long rips.

Lastly, I went back to the junker back saw. I wanted to re-file it the same as the boys saw to see how it did. It was OK but it kept stalling in the cut and was still pulling right pretty bad. I stoned the teeth on the right side and it cut a little straighter but it still kept getting stuck. The issue, I think, is that it needs set. I don't have a saw set yet, so I'll have to try again when I get one.

I'd been thinking and planning for the last year. When I finally stared filing, I was much easier than I had imagined. I also think I got a case of beginners luck. 3 of 4 saws did not need set and cut straight with no adjustments. Lucky is good :D

I hope this encourages someone who's hesitant to give saw sharpening a try. It's much easier that I imagined and a sharp saw is a joy to use :)

David Eisenhauer
02-22-2016, 5:42 PM
Thanks. I have wanted to start sharpening lately as well and this is good info. Did you use the recommended Bahco files? Where did you buy your files from?

Jim Davis
02-22-2016, 7:54 PM
You were also lucky (or unlucky) to find those fine-toothed saws filed rip! It's very unusual to find a rip-filed handsaw with more than 7 PPI. Makes me really scratch my head that yours were all filed rip....In my 40 years of gathering and using handsaws, 11 PPI rip is unheard of in a handsaw, only found in a back saw.

As for a saw pulling to one side, that is not the result of too little set. It's either uneven set between the sides or the teeth on one side are longer. This can happen if the jointing file is not held perpendicular to the saw plate, or just by incorrect filing.

Anyway, you are off and running. It's great that you made the leap to learn saw filing.

Jim

Jim Koepke
02-22-2016, 8:51 PM
Congratulations Dan, now you will be looking for those cheap saws at garage sales just for the fun of making them cut again.

jtk

Patrick Chase
02-22-2016, 9:43 PM
Congratulations Dan, now you will be looking for those cheap saws at garage sales just for the fun of making them cut again.

jtk

My only word of advice: Don't try any saws tuned by Mark Harrell (Bad Axe), Mike Wentzloff, or anybody else on that level (probably Stewie and Ron though I've never used their work so I'm going by reputation).

I'm also an amateur, self-taught-by-book-and-video saw sharpener. FWIW I found Pete Taran's articles at Vintage Saws to be particularly useful. I can tune a saw to a level that is noticeably better than as-shipped for, say, Crown/Pax/etc or Veritas, and I thought I was pretty good until I got my hands on one of Harrell's saws. It turns out that I have a very long way to go.

Daniel Rode
02-22-2016, 11:01 PM
I bought mine from Lee Valley last year. I think they were made by Grobet.
Thanks. I have wanted to start sharpening lately as well and this is good info. Did you use the recommended Bahco files? Where did you buy your files from?

BTW - I did not buy the LV saw file holder but wish I had one. The blocks of wood work well, but the holder makes setting the rake and fleam so easy.

Daniel Rode
02-22-2016, 11:05 PM
I's possible I misread the tooth pattern, but I looked at them under magnifications a few times and they appeared to be cut square. Also, I mis-typed the Disston as 11 pt, but I think it's 10 and the other is marked 9 and the ruler seems to agree.

You were also lucky (or unlucky) to find those fine-toothed saws filed rip! It's very unusual to find a rip-filed handsaw with more than 7 PPI. Makes me really scratch my head that yours were all filed rip....In my 40 years of gathering and using handsaws, 11 PPI rip is unheard of in a handsaw, only found in a back saw.

As for a saw pulling to one side, that is not the result of too little set. It's either uneven set between the sides or the teeth on one side are longer. This can happen if the jointing file is not held perpendicular to the saw plate, or just by incorrect filing.

Anyway, you are off and running. It's great that you made the leap to learn saw filing.

Jim

Patrick Chase
02-22-2016, 11:52 PM
I bought mine from Lee Valley last year. I think they were made by Grobet.

BTW - I did not buy the LV saw file holder but wish I had one. The blocks of wood work well, but the holder make setting the rake and fleam so easy.

The only caveat I have with the LV holder is that the thumbscrew that locks the rake adjustment doesn't hold very well. I sometimes crank mine down with pliers, because there is nothing worse than suddenly realizing that you've been filing with a random and varying rake.

EDIT: All files sold by LV were Swiss-made Grobets until very recently - I last ordered files from them about 6 mos ago and they were Grobet Swiss, complete with the little engraved musket. When Grobet switched over to "Grobet USA" files (which are actually made in Mexico IIRC) LV dropped them and switched to Bahco. A good move IMO as I'd also bought files directly from Grobet USA and was unimpressed.

David Eisenhauer
02-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks. It looks like LV will get some $ from me.

Tom M King
02-23-2016, 12:40 PM
332325You did good Daniel.

For me, the easiest reference for fleam angle is something laying behind the vise. I have some strips of plywood with the angle marked with a Magic Marker that work the best. In this picture, I was at a jobsite where I didn't have those strips of plywood, so I just cut a piece of scrap on the miter saw rather than taking the time to draw a bunch of lines. You might be able to see the idea in this picture. I use one hand on the file, using the little smooth end to make sure it's in the right starting position, and to give a little running start.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2016, 2:04 PM
For me, the easiest reference for fleam angle is something laying behind the vise.

This is a good method used by many. I decided it would be better to have something closer to the saw.

This is my shop made gauge:

The kerf allows it to sit on a saw blade. It is just slid along the saw as the work progresses.

The blade was made from an old hacksaw blade. The stock was made from a scrap of rosewood. The wing nut, washer and screw were from my shop supply.

I have thought of some improvements to the design, but then it would likely have to be patented and sold to make it worth the effort.

jtk

lowell holmes
02-23-2016, 6:36 PM
To retooth a saw plate do the following.

http://www.blackburntools.com/articles/saw-tooth-spacing-templates/index.html

You can download tooth per inch patterns to print out. Tape them to the saw plate to establish the tooth spacing. I apply double sticky tape to the paper pattern strip.

I plot my own patterns and attach a strip to a saw plate that has the teeth filed off leaving a jointed edge to sharpen. I mark the jointed edge with a red dry-erase marker. Then when I start the tooth with a file, it leaves a mark I can see and not get lost in the filing sequence. I will go down the saw plate 2 or 3 times before the teeth are sharp. I mark the saw plate after each filing pass.

The Lee Valley file holder is a must have accessory. Ron Herman shows how to make your own holder and filing pattern in his video. Jim shows how to make one in the previous post.