PDA

View Full Version : Wild Maple Bowl - Pics

Dennis Peacock
09-12-2005, 6:48 PM
Some call me sneaky since I'm working on cabinets and snuk in a bowl. :rolleyes: :D

This wild maple is 7-1/2" across by 1-1/2" high.
Finish is two light coats of straight Tung Oil followed by a moderate coat of BLO/Turps, allowed to dry for 3 days and buffed through white diamond compound. No Carnuba on this baby. :rolleyes: :D

In person, this bowl has a real 3D effect when in a well lit area. Other than that? It's just another bowl off the lathe. :cool: :D

Don Baer
09-12-2005, 6:57 PM
Very nice Dennis. I love the finish.

Michael Stafford
09-12-2005, 7:15 PM
Well, Mr. Peacock, Mark got this one right. This is a beauty of a piece of wood and very well executed by you I might say. Nice to see some recreational woodworking. Very nice indeed!!!! :D

Dick Parr
09-12-2005, 7:21 PM
Great looking bowl Dennis, that is some great looking maple.

Nice job :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-12-2005, 7:24 PM
VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY Sneeky indeed, Dennis. VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY nice, TOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bruce

Keith Burns
09-12-2005, 8:16 PM
Very nice indeed ! :D :D

Steve Clardy
09-12-2005, 8:17 PM
VEEEEERRRIIIIIIEEEE Nice Dennis.
Now back to work on those cabinets.

Steve [Can smell the startin's of arkansas barbecue up north a ways]

Ernie Nyvall
09-12-2005, 9:30 PM
Great looking bowl Dennis. The wood is very nice in the pics. I can just imagine what it looks like in person. Sooo... go ahead and put that in the mail and I'll take a closer look. :D

Ernie

Robert Watsek
09-13-2005, 1:25 AM
Ya got the sneaky part right Dennis............here you had me thinkin all you ever turned was peecan and you throw in a nice piece of Maple.:D

Great looking bowl.........very nice.:cool:

Bob

Glenn Hodges
09-13-2005, 6:58 AM
That finish looks perfect for that maple. I wish I had some of that maple down here to work with, you make it look so nice.

Mark Cothren
09-13-2005, 7:27 AM
I'm still relatively new to ww'ing and turning, but I've never seen a piece of wood like this before. It most definitely has a "3D" look to it. It reminds me very much of Mother of Pearl. The pics are good, but just don't bring it out like what you see in person.

Dennis, you did a great job with this little chunk of wood that God wonderfully made.

Thanks for the picture!

Kurt Aebi
09-13-2005, 7:34 AM
Very Nice - Indeed!!!!!!! Sneeky - well call it a rejuvination break (he, he ;) )

Love the detail on the bottom - Real Nice, Real Nice!!!!

John Miliunas
09-13-2005, 8:16 AM
Lookin' good, Dennis. REAL good! :) Wonderful selection for wood and you did it justice! Waited 3 days before buffing? That's just one of the areas where you've got me....Just call me Impatient.:D :cool: :)

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2005, 8:56 AM
Lookin' good, Dennis. REAL good! :) Wonderful selection for wood and you did it justice! Waited 3 days before buffing? That's just one of the areas where you've got me....Just call me Impatient.:D :cool: :)

Thanks John, BUT....we're all impatient about something in our shop doin's ya know. My biggest tendency is to rush the sanding process and not get as good a finish as I know I should. :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-13-2005, 8:59 AM
Nice bowl Dennis! That wood has character!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-13-2005, 9:07 AM
Dennis, you did that hunk o wood proud. it is wonderful!

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2005, 3:43 PM
Nice bowl Dennis! That wood has character!

Howdy Ken,

It kinda reminds me of me in your context......I'm a "character".!!! :rolleyes: :D

Thanks...it was fun turning it....but sanding was another thing.!!!! :rolleyes: