PDA

View Full Version : Round two Battle of Gents

Ron Bontz
02-22-2016, 3:26 PM
So nothing really that exciting. Just curious. Which do folks like the best out of the three. :) 332252332253Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim Koepke
02-22-2016, 3:57 PM
I would have to feel them in my hand to make a choice.

I do like the engraving on the top one, the clarity of the wood on the middle one and the bottom one looks like there may be a better rest for my thumb near the ferule.

jtk

Ron Bontz
02-22-2016, 4:11 PM
My hand is 3-3/4" wide with the tip of my middle finger approx. 5.5" from my palm center. So maybe this will help.

george wilson
02-22-2016, 4:15 PM
Sorry,I think they are still too busy. The moldings don't make a lot of sense. If you're going to have them,make them better defined. I think the original makes the most sense design wise. But,it still needs improvement.

Maybe you'll get angry with me like Juan did!!:)

Jim Koepke
02-22-2016, 6:10 PM
The form is not one many find conducive to accurate work.

For me with an admittedly bad hand, the decorations often get in the way of a comfortable grip for accurate performance.

To my noncritical eye they look spectacular. To my hand they may feel quite different.

jtk

Stewie Simpson
02-22-2016, 7:47 PM
Ron. The handles need to be longer to allow the butt end to extend an inch past the fleshy part of the palm. imo.

Stewie;

Bill McNiel
02-22-2016, 9:31 PM
Ron,
You make truly gorgeous saws, I am big fan of your work and may some day be able to afford one of your beauties. For me though, these handles are way too short and I prefer a much smoother handle with a slight flat for registry. More along the lines of the LV PMV-11 bench chisels.

Ron Bontz
02-22-2016, 9:49 PM
[QUOTE=Bill McNiel;2533163]Ron,
You make truly gorgeous saws, I am big fan of your work and may some day be able to afford one of your beauties. For me though, these handles are way too short and I prefer a much smoother handle with a slight flat for registry. More along the lines of the LV PMV-11 bench chisels.[/QUOTE

Well, I won't be making copies of Rob's chisel handles any time soon, but perhaps something with simpler lines. ( Maybe )

Derek Cohen
02-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Hi Ron

As George noted, the mouldings do not offer any help - they need to be more than decoration. They need to assist in controlling the saw cut.

This is a push saw, and in my opinion there needs to be a substantial "stop" for the fingers/thumb against which to push. There is a stop on one of your pictures, but it is too far back, and this reduces the length of the handle too much. In general, the handle could be a little longer, about 1". The palm is aiding in pushing but too much pressure here will cause a RSI. Without a rest for the fingers, the work of sawing is taken up by the palm. So it is the blade end that needs attention. (If you are pulling the saw, I would argue for a substantially longer handle).

EDIT TO ADD: This handle on the Liogier banner will give you an idea of what I mean ...

http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffler.com/skin/frontend/default/default/images/logo-liogier.png

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill McNiel
02-22-2016, 10:24 PM
"Well, I won't be making copies of Rob's chisel handles any time soon, but perhaps something with simpler lines. ( Maybe )"

Ron - I wouldn't expect you to "copy" anyone's work, ever. I was just trying to put forth an example of the feel for a handle.

Bill McNiel
02-22-2016, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=Bill McNiel;2533163]Ron,
You make truly gorgeous saws, I am big fan of your work and may some day be able to afford one of your beauties. For me though, these handles are way too short and I prefer a much smoother handle with a slight flat for registry. More along the lines of the LV PMV-11 bench chisels.[/QUOTE

Well, I won't be making copies of Rob's chisel handles any time soon, but perhaps something with simpler lines. ( Maybe )

Ron - I would never suggest nor expect you to copy anyone's design. I was only trying to convey the 'feeling" of a handle that would appeal to me.

Ron Bontz
02-23-2016, 2:50 AM
[QUOTE=Ron Bontz;2533178]

Ron - I would never suggest nor expect you to copy anyone's design. I was only trying to convey the 'feeling" of a handle that would appeal to me.
No worries. Just kidding a bit. I use Gent saws for delicate work. 1/4" quarter round glass bead, etc. So perhaps I have a bias toward shorter handles. I did just finish turning a longer cherry handle. 6.5". Starting to feel like I am turning a lathe handle. :) Will post later. Maybe needs some grip rings. Best wishes.

Ron Bontz
02-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Here you go. When you stretch a handle given the same diameters you in effect loose a lot of the curvature. I could add more curve to the handle but then the back portion would have to decrease in dia. We'll see what shakes out on the next one. :) Thanks for all the thoughts. 332322