PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen a woodworking joint like this?

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 10:35 AM
I know it is a bit arrogant to think I have invented a new woodworking joint, but I have never seen one like it. I would appreciate some comments on it, if you find time to have a look at the photos and the description on my blog.

http://loydnornes.com/2016/02/20/is-it-possible-to-invent-a-new-woodworking-joint-in-2016/

Best regards
Loyd Nornes

William Adams
02-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Looks a bit like the impossible joint from a mallet shown on Roy Underhill's _The Woodwright's Shop_:

http://dans-woodshop.blogspot.com/2011/11/mystery-mallet-with-roy-underhill.html

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 12:07 PM
William

I agree. The one you mention is the closest one I have seen so far, but the one I designed is not that mystical. The joint on my pictures is not glued, and still very rigid. It does not bend in any direction and it kan take pull and push forces.

Mike Henderson
02-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Good idea! I don't know where I'd use a joint like that but it's good to have in the back of my head.

Mike

Michael Weber
02-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Good idea! I don't know where I'd use a joint like that but it's good to have in the back of my head.

Mike Maybe after brain surgery Mike?

Brian Tymchak
02-22-2016, 2:23 PM
Interesting. Seems to be a version of a wedged tenon (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/wedged-mortise-and-tenon), wedging in 2 directions vs just 1. I wonder if wedging in both directions makes a stronger joint or not? It might raise the risk of splitting the mortise-side board since the 2nd wedge is running with the grain.

Brian Henderson
02-22-2016, 2:25 PM

Mike

If you have one of those joints in the back of your head, you probably need to seek medical attention.

Tom Ewell
02-22-2016, 2:31 PM
First time I've seen one so you must have 'invented it' :)
Like the open work below the joint too.

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 2:37 PM
Tom

Thank you. If it can be of any use, it would be nice to be the inventor.
The air below the joint is needed to compress the joint itself, to fit it inside the pyramidical hole.

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 2:40 PM
Hahaha...

I was thinking of being sarcastic about that too, but I am waaay to fresh on this forum for that.

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 3:00 PM
Mike

I was thinking of using it for table legs.

Tom Ewell
02-22-2016, 4:04 PM
Tom

Thank you. If it can be of any use, it would be nice to be the inventor.
The air below the joint is needed to compress the joint itself, to fit it inside the pyramidical hole.

Understood why the 'air' part was needed but I'd like it as a design element regardless of method actually used for attachment, having it as a part of the actual joining process is a bonus.

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 4:11 PM
Ok

I hope I didn’t offend you. Did not know if you visited my blog or just saw the attached photos to this post. I agree with you. The air needs to be there, but it doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

Erik Christensen
02-22-2016, 4:12 PM
looks very cool - only question for me would be - how hard was it to make??

Mel Fulks
02-22-2016, 4:34 PM
Brian ,I was thinking about that, too. But those "knitted " skull joints, being used now ,are pretty difficult. So if you do have to open one up....new method might be "more affordable option".

Loyd Nornes
02-22-2016, 4:35 PM
Erik

As you can see from the details, I am not a trained woodworker, but still made a firm joint. I am sure you guys could do it much faster and better.

Tom Ewell
02-22-2016, 4:36 PM
Ok

I hope I didn’t offend you. Did not know if you visited my blog or just saw the attached photos to this post. I agree with you. The air needs to be there, but it doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

No offense at all, yep checked out the blog, needed to figure out what it was actually doing.

Lee Schierer
02-22-2016, 5:31 PM
I would think it would be even stronger if you slipped filler pieces into the slots after the four tenons are depressed into the pyramidal hole. What does the other face side of the board look like?

Don Orr
02-22-2016, 8:57 PM
Very Cool! I'm with Lee S. in that a contrasting wood insert in the open slots would make a nice design feature, and probably improve the overall strength. A shape other than simply square would be especially pleasingI think.

Loyd Nornes
02-23-2016, 7:16 AM
Lee

I believe you are right, but I have not tested it. I have updated my blog post with a picture of the other side of the board where the joint is slightly pulled out. I hope that helps.