PDA

View Full Version : A toybox for my nephew completed...

Robert Mayer
09-12-2005, 6:39 PM
This is only my second project since acquiring all the tools I needed over the last 3-4 months. Built this for my nephews 1st birthday. Its made out of maple and african mahoghany. The center section on the front is from veneered 3/4 plywood, but I have no idea what type it is. I saw it at woodcraft and thought it looked pretty cool. The tung oil i used really darkened the top more than the bottom for some reason. Im still really learning how to tune my tools and use them so I was limited to using pocket screws for most of it.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/945ny_trip_7.1.05_001.jpg
http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/287ny_trip_7.1.05_002.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
09-12-2005, 8:46 PM
Great work Robert! I'm sure the nephew's siblings will use it too!

Maurice Ungaro
09-13-2005, 8:05 AM
Robert,
Tha looks awesome! Can you give me the dimensions? Also, what type of hinge hardware did you use?

BTW, I'm a sucker for oil finishes.

Kurt Aebi
09-13-2005, 8:06 AM
WOW, Robert!

A box fit for a King! Great Job - I'm sure he'll love it!

Robert Mayer
09-13-2005, 8:27 AM
Robert,
Tha looks awesome! Can you give me the dimensions? Also, what type of hinge hardware did you use?

BTW, I'm a sucker for oil finishes.

I used 2 plain hinges on the back and two spring loaded lid hinges from woodcraft. It was a pain to put them on, theres a couple extra holes on the inside from installing them incorrectly. But it opens easy and stays open despite the weight on the top. I believe its about 19" deep, 30" wide, and you can probably guess the height from the picture.

I love tung oil too, it applies very easy and really brings out the grain in pretty much any wood. I used it on the first project which was a poplar fish tank stand after a disaster trying to stain it. The bottles of it are pricey but it really goes a long way. It only looks better with age too.

Mike Cutler
09-13-2005, 4:02 PM
That's a nice looking chest Robert. Very nice work.