PDA

View Full Version : Sand Blast Media

Dave Lehnert
02-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Picked up a bench top sand blast cabinet at Tractor Supply on sale for $89.
What kind of blasting media do I use for what? is there a good all purpose media to use?
What is glass bead used on vs Black Diamond?
I plan to use it on rusted tools or rusted mower blades, parts etc...............

Ole Anderson
02-22-2016, 8:51 AM
Black diamond is a harder sharper grain and will cut better than glass beads which are more often used to give a gentle texture. For rust removal you want the black diamond.

Myk Rian
02-22-2016, 8:58 AM
Walnut shells. You can get it at HF.

Mike Null
02-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Even with a cabinet you should wear a respirator.

Ole Anderson
02-22-2016, 3:18 PM
It really depends on how heavy the rust is. The heavier the rust, the more aggressive you need the abrasive to be. Walnut shells, less aggressive, glass beads medium aggressive, black diamond, most aggressive.

Dave Lehnert
02-22-2016, 4:37 PM
It really depends on how heavy the rust is. The heavier the rust, the more aggressive you need the abrasive to be. Walnut shells, less aggressive, glass beads medium aggressive, black diamond, most aggressive.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like glass bead would be best to keep in the cabinet for general purpose use?

Perry Holbrook
02-22-2016, 4:51 PM
You may want to go to McMaster Carr and search for abrasive blasting media. They have a glossary of all media types and sell them as well. For occasional use, something from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool is probably fine. I use aluminum oxide for most everything, but also have some others for special needs.

Perry

Dave Lehnert
02-22-2016, 4:56 PM
You may want to go to McMaster Carr and search for abrasive blasting media. They have a glossary of all media types and sell them as well. For occasional use, something from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool is probably fine. I use aluminum oxide for most everything, but also have some others for special needs.

Perry

Good info, Thanks.