PDA

View Full Version : First Humidor

Tim Bridge
02-21-2016, 6:16 PM
I am starting my first humidor for a friend of mine and I am looking for some pointers.

Should I make it out of solid Spanish Cedar or line a Walnut box with Spanish Cedar.
He wants the box larger than the Spanish Cedar boards that I have.

I am considering solid Spanish Cedar with a lock miter corner joints and Brusso quadrant hinges.
Can Spanish Cedar be edge glued? Should I tongue and grove or just joint them?

Jebediah Eckert
02-21-2016, 7:02 PM
I have never done one out of solid cedar so I can't comment on that. I just fully line it with cedar, sides, top, and bottom. Not sure if you have used those quadrant hinges but there are more then a few steps to install them. Take a look at those SmartHinges out of the U.K. More then sufficient for a humidor and way way easier to install. Last time I bought them they were cheaper then those Brusso hinges, even with the shipping. Just a thought on the hinges....

Jeff Bartley
02-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Tom,
I lined a box with Spanish cedar milled to 1/4". Spanish cedar is funny stuff: I had read that it can ooze sap so I milled and stickered it for a long while, months, and one of the boards oozed sap. Luckily I had more than enough for the project.
I also used the Brusso quadrant hinges and even though it's a process to install them I didn't find it particularly difficult. And they are so nice!

J.R. Rutter
02-22-2016, 9:30 AM
I've probably made a dozen of the basic humidor featured in Fine Woodworking years ago. Very basic joinery and good tips. If you have an understanding spouse/partner/roomate, you can also set the sap in resawn spanish cedar by putting it in the oven. I don't remember the time/temperature offhand, but I've done it successfully. The article and plans are free: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/7670/free-plan-humidor

Jim German
02-22-2016, 11:14 AM
I've made a couple of humidors too. Always made them with a 'normal' wood and then lined them with 1/4" Spanish cedar.