PDA

View Full Version : Saw Filing - New Files

Josh Nelson
02-21-2016, 6:10 PM
Afternoon all! I've lurked here for quite awhile and I think I may have even posted a time or two but this is the first time I've really had a question. I've been sharpening my own saws for a number of years but for the most part, I've been able to use the same files I've owned forever. Well, I unfortunately dropped and stepped on one of the files and it snapped so I purchased a Nicholson from one of the big box stores. Well, sad to say, this thing wouldn't cut thick gravy and I believe I am seeing more of the file's metal than I am the saw's metal. Have Nicholson files gone down hill and is there a better maker? Should I just re-harden this file?

Phil Mueller
02-21-2016, 6:34 PM
Josh, I just went through looking for quality saw files. Many of the retail companies who sold files have discontinued sales due to poor quality from their suppliers. They all state they are in the process of looking for new quality makers.

If you do a SMC search, you will find many discussions regarding the quality of files these days. I believe several folks have had good luck with Bahco files. I ended up purchasing files from Blackburn Tools. He offers Bahco taper files and Glardon (formally Grobet) needle files.

While I have just started to file my own saws, I have found these to work quite well (at least from my limited experience).

Josh Nelson
02-21-2016, 6:38 PM
Thank you Phil, I will definitely give that a try.

Mike Brady
02-21-2016, 7:00 PM
Try Nicholsons in the green packaging. This is the attempt by them to make a decent modern file, made in Mexico. I bought some at Ace hardware. I am not endorsing them just trying them

Jim Koepke
02-21-2016, 7:53 PM
Howdy Josh and welcome into the light at SMC. I am always curious about where folks make their home. Your profile doesn't list a location, where on this planet do you call home?

I haven't had to buy files in a few years. Most likely will be in the same boat as you soon.

jtk

Patrick Chase
02-22-2016, 12:25 AM
Afternoon all! I've lurked here for quite awhile and I think I may have even posted a time or two but this is the first time I've really had a question. I've been sharpening my own saws for a number of years but for the most part, I've been able to use the same files I've owned forever. Well, I unfortunately dropped and stepped on one of the files and it snapped so I purchased a Nicholson from one of the big box stores. Well, sad to say, this thing wouldn't cut thick gravy and I believe I am seeing more of the file's metal than I am the saw's metal. Have Nicholson files gone down hill and is there a better maker? Should I just re-harden this file?

This has been discussed quite a lot.

Summary: The cognoscenti went from the old/good Nicholsons to Grobet Swiss and now finally to Bahco. Some detoured through Simonds and/or Grobet USA along the way.

I've personally tried all of the above, and I think that on balance the Bahcos are the best of the current lot of taper files. Grobet/Glardon (same thing) still sell a very nice Swiss-made 3-square needle file though. Unfortunately the Grobet needle files are somewhat hard to find right now, so I recently ordered a box of 7" Bahco cut-2 needle files (p/n 2-302-18-2-0) as a potential alternative - I'll post when I've formed an opinion of them.

Josh Nelson
02-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Howdy Josh and welcome into the light at SMC. I am always curious about where folks make their home. Your profile doesn't list a location, where on this planet do you call home? I haven't had to buy files in a few years. Most likely will be in the same boat as you soon. jtk Oops... corrected that one. I'm from a small town off the coast of Alabama called Bay Minette.
This has been discussed quite a lot. Summary: The cognoscenti went from the old/good Nicholsons to Grobet Swiss and now finally to Bahco. Some detoured through Simonds and/or Grobet USA along the way. I've personally tried all of the above, and I think that on balance the Bahcos are the best of the current lot of taper files. Grobet/Glardon (same thing) still sell a very nice Swiss-made 3-square needle file though. Unfortunately the Grobet needle files are somewhat hard to find right now, so I recently ordered a box of 7" Bahco cut-2 needle files (p/n 2-302-18-2-0) as a potential alternative - I'll post when I've formed an opinion of them. Thank you Patrick, I'd love to hear about it. I'm stuck in a precarious situation with my sharpening, luckily I've got all my standard saws cut but I've got this beautiful old Disston 4-tpi rip that i just purchased and was counting on for my next project.

Patrick Chase
02-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Thank you Patrick, I'd love to hear about it. I'm stuck in a precarious situation with my sharpening, luckily I've got all my standard saws cut but I've got this beautiful old Disston 4-tpi rip that i just purchased and was counting on for my next project.

If you need to do a 4 tpi ripsaw then my opinion of a 3-square needle file isn't going to be particularly relevant. You want a 7" slim or regular taper file, like item F here: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69854&cat=1,320,43072,43089,69854

Josh Nelson
02-22-2016, 1:15 PM
If you need to do a 4 tpi ripsaw then my opinion of a 3-square needle file isn't going to be particularly relevant. You want a 7" slim or regular taper file, like item F here: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69854&cat=1,320,43072,43089,69854 Agreed and its the regular taper I broke. I used to have a guy locally that I could source boxes of old files (he was a machinist in a former life) but unfortunately, he passed away.