PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 141: how to remove lower wheel

Hai Phan
02-21-2016, 5:35 PM
I got the upper wheel off, but I have no idea where to start with the lower wheel. Can someone help me by just looking at this diagram?

This is my PM141, I plan to replace the bearing and got a kit off of Ebay. I'm new to woodworking and slowing learning about machinery, so please forgive me. I will have more questions.

Don Sundberg
02-21-2016, 7:36 PM
Looking at the diagram you will need to loosen the setscrews on the lower wheel and the belt sheave on the other side. It appears that the spindle housing is removable which is probably good because it also appears the bearings will press onto the shaft. After taking sheave and lower wheel off, I would take the 3 capscrews out and remove the spindle assy. Then I would measure and note the positions of the shaft to the bearings I would guess that it is flush to one of the steps. Then you need to press the shaft out of the bearings. A hydraulic press is the best device for this but you can do it with blocks of wood and a hammer.

Going back together you will need to find a pipe that has an id slightly larger than the od of the shaft to be sure you are pressing / pounding on the inner race. Press one of the bearings onto the shaft noting the orientation of the snap ring on the od. Then insert shaft and bearing into the housing and press the opposite bearing into place seating the snap ring to the other side of the housing. Both snap rings should be seated to their respective sides of the housing. The od should be a snug slip fit whereas the id of the bearings will be a force fit on the shaft to keep it from moving. Install the spindle assy back into the lower wheel housing and put the lower wheel and sheave back on using the appropriate keys. I would get a measurement of the wheel from a known point on the casting or measure the stickout of the shaft to have a good place to reassemble it to.

Is your lower wheel noisy or loose? I wouldn't necessarily dig into it unless it had a problem.

Good luck and have fun!

Hai Phan
02-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Looking at the diagram you will need to loosen the setscrews on the lower wheel and the belt sheave on the other side. It appears that the spindle housing is removable which is probably good because it also appears the bearings will press onto the shaft. After taking sheave and lower wheel off, I would take the 3 capscrews out and remove the spindle assy. Then I would measure and note the positions of the shaft to the bearings I would guess that it is flush to one of the steps. Then you need to press the shaft out of the bearings. A hydraulic press is the best device for this but you can do it with blocks of wood and a hammer.

Going back together you will need to find a pipe that has an id slightly larger than the od of the shaft to be sure you are pressing / pounding on the inner race. Press one of the bearings onto the shaft noting the orientation of the snap ring on the od. Then insert shaft and bearing into the housing and press the opposite bearing into place seating the snap ring to the other side of the housing. Both snap rings should be seated to their respective sides of the housing. The od should be a snug slip fit whereas the id of the bearings will be a force fit on the shaft to keep it from moving. Install the spindle assy back into the lower wheel housing and put the lower wheel and sheave back on using the appropriate keys. I would get a measurement of the wheel from a known point on the casting or measure the stickout of the shaft to have a good place to reassemble it to.

Is your lower wheel noisy or loose? I wouldn't necessarily dig into it unless it had a problem.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all the tip, it was super helpful. I was just looking to remove the lower wheel to replace the tire. I probally wouldn't even replace the bearing if I cant get this bottom wheel off.

I got the 2x setscrew off in the front, and the 1x setscrew in the back off. But the wheel wouldn't budge. I'll strike it lightly a few times with a hammer and let it soak with PB and see. I'm NOT going to be doing the bearing now, too much hassle. Do I just pull on the spoke of the wheel or hit it in a certain point (wheel? or bearing?)

Myk Rian
02-22-2016, 9:03 AM
DO NOT pull on the spokes.
You shouldn't need to remove the wheel to install new tires.

Bob Vaughan
02-22-2016, 9:41 AM
That wheel hub and shaft looks a little beat up.
Try this. Drive the wheel in on the shaft. Get a file and file the tip of the shaft. Likely someone mushroomed it with a hammer at some time in the past.
A test: The shaft is 3/4" diameter. So is a penny. Measure a penny with calipers and test the shaft to see if its any larger. If so, you've got a shaft with a mushroomed end.
Usually filing down the first 1/8" to 3/16" is all it takes.

If difficulty still persists, borrow a wheel puller from the auto parts store and pull the wheel off by gripping the webs. You don't want to be dragging the wheel's bore across an expanded shaft, but that's maybe your only option.

similar to below although this is a different model band saw
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/rmvaughan/Bandsaw/bswheelpul1.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/rmvaughan/media/Bandsaw/bswheelpul1.jpg.html)

Don Sundberg
02-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Watch this. It's even a 14" Powermatic bandsaw. It might be a 143 instead of a 141 but the process is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz04k-GMF38

Carroll Courtney
02-23-2016, 7:52 PM
Like BV said,and look in the hole where the set screw came out make sure there's not another set screw.Maybe take a small punch and drive the key out the back if there is room---Carroll
Your diagram looks like a 143