PDA

View Full Version : Glue Test??!!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
09-12-2005, 6:18 PM
Well, we've been reading all this stuff about glue and how well it holds and such. So, here I am sharing my "boo-boo" with all of you to see firsthand. :eek:

I'm working on making cabinets, the RIGHT side was supposed to get the 3/4" thick edgebanding and NOT the LEFT side......The strip was glued with Titebond Original, lightly clamped for 25 minutes before the mistake was realized. :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:
Removed the clamps rather quickly and tried to remove the edgebanding by hand, no go.....tried to remove it with a large pair of pliers...still no go without damaging the cabinet carcass...... :mad: :o

OK...so I broke out a chisel and mallet and went to work. Do not and I repeat, DO NOT make a mistake like this. It is very time consuming thing to "undo" in hopes that you don't mess up the carcass while trying to get the stuck piece off.

Lesson learned? I only have to clamp up for 30 minutes from now on instead of the stated 2 to 4 hours.!!! Here's the pic for proof. If you need someone that witnessed this? Talk with Mark Cothren....he was there with me when it all happened.!!!! :eek: :D

Steve Clardy
09-12-2005, 6:26 PM
Yep. I use titebond original. I unclamp door panels and run then to thickness thru the surfacer in 20-30 minutes.

Jim Becker
09-12-2005, 6:39 PM
Ouch. Did you consider "pattern routing" off the offending edgebanding?

Dennis Peacock
09-12-2005, 6:55 PM
Ouch. Did you consider "pattern routing" off the offending edgebanding?

Nope...never crossed my mind Jim. :rolleyes: I was just so "hacked" that all I wanted to do what get the wood off with some stress relieving mallet swings so I would feel better about the stupid mistake. :o Next time, I'll try and remember about the pattern routing......

Dennis McDonaugh
09-12-2005, 7:38 PM
Nope...never crossed my mind Jim. :rolleyes: I was just so "hacked" that all I wanted to do what get the wood off with some stress relieving mallet swings so I would feel better about the stupid mistake. :o Next time, I'll try and remember about the pattern routing......

Been there done that. No tee shirt :)

Mark Cothren
09-13-2005, 7:34 AM
Yup, I was there to witness this event. I think Dennis just did it for my own benefit - a learning experience...:D

Dennis, I think 25 minutes is a little generous. It was more like 15-20. Why do I disagree with you? Since I'm the one that glued that piece on I orta know...:o

Bottom line? Titebond is some tuff glue...:eek:

Kurt Aebi
09-13-2005, 7:47 AM
Titebond II - I'll have to remember that! LOL ;)

Pattern Routing - I'll have to remember that, too!! LOL :D

Not putting th eedge banding on the wrong side - well! - I'll have to remember that as well!!! :eek:

Nice Save Dennis! Hopefully you won't have to do that again! Whas this before or after you were "Sneeky" and made that beautiful Maple Bowl?? :rolleyes:

John Miliunas
09-13-2005, 8:03 AM
Hey Dennis, thanks for the report on the TB! Good info to know, although I'm just not entirely sure I'd unclamp my stuff after a half hour. Usually takes me too dang long to clamp up in the first place!:rolleyes: Good info, regardless! :) :cool:

Bill Lewis
09-13-2005, 8:24 AM
Lesson learned? I only have to clamp up for 30 minutes from now on instead of the stated 2 to 4 hours.!!!
That only works for mistakes, goof-ups, and boo-boos.
If you really need something done quickly, the glue knows this and won't bond. ;)

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2005, 8:48 AM
Hey Dennis, thanks for the report on the TB! Good info to know, although I'm just not entirely sure I'd unclamp my stuff after a half hour. Usually takes me too dang long to clamp up in the first place!:rolleyes: Good info, regardless! :) :cool:

Well John, I with ya on that one buddy......takes me a long time as well. :rolleyes: During a serious glueup with lots of parts? You orta see me.!!! Running around the shop like my tails on fire!!! :eek: :rolleyes: Sometimes repeating words like: let's get with the program, I got glue dryin' ya know..!!!!! ;)

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2005, 8:50 AM
That only works for mistakes, goof-ups, and boo-boos.
If you really need something done quickly, the glue knows this and won't bond. ;)

Good one Bill....kinda like a copier at work....it knows when you need it most and breaks down. I'm going to have to keep my glue on the opposite end of the shop so it can't know what I'm doing!!! :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-13-2005, 9:48 AM
LOL Dennis, make sure you keep it in a dark cabinet!! ;)

I almost always leave my glue ups for 24 hours. Not because I think I need to, but because I do them one night and take them out of the clamps the next :) If I am working on a weekend I leave them for at least 2 hours.... Good to know it could be less if needed.

Michael Stafford
09-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Well, I am an overnight man. I know that I don't have to clamp that long but I do for safety sake. Just like for safety I wear a belt and suspenders. You cannot be too safe....I always say..... :p

Dennis, have you explained right and left to Mark now?

Lee Schierer
09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I think you could have used an hot iron and heated the glue after that short glue up time and it would have peeled off. It won't work once the glue is fully dried though.

Lee

Von Bickley
09-13-2005, 1:15 PM
Dennis,
Thanks for the lesson... I know I'm guilty of waiting too long. Your lesson will help me in the future... ;)

Dennis Peacock
09-13-2005, 3:39 PM
Dennis,
Thanks for the lesson... I know I'm guilty of waiting too long. Your lesson will help me in the future... ;)

Von,

I tried "babying" it while trying to get it off, but soon my efforts rolled over to true gorilla tactics!! Try it some time. I really think that after 30 minutes? You'd be really surprised at how much holding power it has. ;)