PDA

View Full Version : Parting tool? Or can you tell me what this tool is used for?

Staffan Hamala
02-21-2016, 7:43 AM
I have this old turning tool:

I got it with a bunch of other tools I bought a few years ago. However, I have never found what to use this for. I thought it was a parting tool (diamond shaped parting tools look similar to this).

However, the edge is not shaped like a parting tool. It's pointed, so if I were to push it into a piece of wood, it would make a v-shaped groove.

I have also thought that it might really be a parting tool that someone has re-shaped. However, as it says model 965 - 1/2" on the tool, and the tool is 1/2" wide, it makes me think that it is indeed shaped like it should.

A few close-ups:

Top view:

Side view:
Bottom view:

Maker's info:

And patent no:

I have tried google searches for both the patent no and the model no, but I can't find anything.

Does anyone know?

Clint Baxter
02-21-2016, 8:27 AM
I found the patent number, (Google search), under Swedish patents. It lists it as a wood turning tool, as near as I can tell. There are some good images of the blade on the patent site. Maybe someone who knows Swedish can read the patent and tell more. It looks to me like it is some type of spear point scraper. Made by Erik Anton Berg.

Can find a bit more about same via Google search.

Interesting item. thanks for posting

Clint

John Keeton
02-21-2016, 8:36 AM
I am not familiar with the tool, but it would seem to be just what you discovered - a "V" tool, similar to a point tool, but sharpened only on that bottom.

Joe Kieve
02-21-2016, 8:37 AM
I think it's probably shaped as it should be. I have one of those, not the Swedish brand though, that came with my Craftsman set many years ago. If I recall correctly, it's used to make V-grooves as you suggested.

Staffan Hamala
02-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks. I found the patent now. I just searched for the patent number earlier, and found something completely different :)

Reed Gray
02-21-2016, 1:57 PM
Hmm, looking at the V shape of the bottom, I would guess that is used with one flat side of the V or the other on the tool rest, which to me would make it some sort of shear cutting tool. Maybe for turning deep V shapes in spindles or even for bowl details....

robo hippy

Brian Brown
02-21-2016, 2:42 PM
That's a funny looking dutch oven. I looked up the patent number from the US patent office, and It is for a new improved Dutch oven. Sweedish patent makes more sense. :D

Hayes Rutherford
02-21-2016, 3:22 PM
Eric Antonberg of Eskilstuna, Sweden was known for good quality wood chisels. My first thought was that it was a bevel edge wood chisel that someone ground to a point but maybe it is simply a diamond point scraper intended for wood lathe use.

Paul Williams
02-21-2016, 3:43 PM
I have a tool like that. It came with a set of Buck tools I got 40 years ago with my first lathe. I used it to cut grooves and have used it to true up the recess for returning a bowl. I doubt it has been out of the bottom drawer in the last 5 years.

Kurt Johansson
02-21-2016, 3:44 PM
This tool was invented by an arts and crafts teacher in Sweden around 1950. The inventers name was Cederblad.
The tools where supposed to simplify woodturning among the pupils at school.
There where two versions, one called double woodturning chisel and one double woodturning gouge.

I have got the tools but never use them, those who use the tools seems to be using them as scrapers which was not the intention of the inventor.

Kurt Johansson. Master woodturner of Sweden.

Peter Fabricius
02-21-2016, 6:05 PM
I think it is a point tool for making V grooves! It is flat on the bottom and sharpened to a point with Scraper edges from the point to the edges.
I have a Mastercraft Marples 1/2" wide 1/4" thick point tool with the edges just like the pictured tool. Although I do not use my Marples set much any more (it was a present from my Dad in 1981) there are times when the carbon steel set works out real good. (Do NOT sharpen them on the CBN wheel!)
I have also used this point tool to straighten up a tenon since the included angle at the point is less than 90 degrees and does a great job.
Peter F.

Wally Wenzel
02-21-2016, 8:07 PM
I have one o those it came with a set of tools from craftsman it is called a diamond point. I have used it as a side scraper tuning up a recess dovetail for my chuck. I also have used it to cut aluminum when making chuck rings, works very well.
Wally