PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade advice wanted

Tony Zona
02-20-2016, 8:15 PM
I haven't used Windows in a long time and want to upgrade an installation of Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. I was formerly proficient with Windows XP, 2000 and Windows servers.

I've checked online, but would like to hear from those who have done this.

Is Win 10 difficult to install over win 7? Any pitfalls?

Duane Meadows
02-20-2016, 8:40 PM
I have upgraded 6 different computers from win 7 pro to win 10. Pretty straight forward. A bit time consuming, though. For the most part I like win 10, and will not even be thinking about going back!

Greg R Bradley
02-20-2016, 9:25 PM
Why would you want to do this? Is the Windows 7 Pro installed on consumer stuff or is it actually a business computer?

Do you understand that the higher end computers like HP z440, z640 & Z840 ship absolutely NONE with Windows 10? I'm in the process of setting up my new z640 for myself right now.

Sean Troy
02-20-2016, 11:46 PM
I installed 10 as soon as it came and like it very much. Not one problem.

Mike Henderson
02-21-2016, 12:56 AM
I installed 10 over 7 and no problems.

Mike

Jerome Stanek
02-21-2016, 7:04 AM
I wish I didn't install windows 10 on one of my computers as some of the software did not work correctly.

Curt Harms
02-21-2016, 7:57 AM
If I were upgrading a PC I used, I'd download Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)and create an image of the Win 7 install before doing anything with Windows 10. I've played with Windows 10 enough to get an idea of where things are and what's changed. I don't use Windows day to day but may have to help somebody who does. 10 seems to be reasonably well regarded except for the privacy aspects. I've read Microsoft is installing the same snoopware on 7 & 8.x as updates. Don't know how true that is.

Oh, and the version of Windows 10 that most of us will be using, we can't disable updates. I think Win 10 Pro users can delay updates for a period of time but can't refuse them outright. Enterprise versions have more control over what gets installed.

Lee Schierer
02-21-2016, 8:41 AM
I've upgraded two computers to windows 10. One was running Windows 8 which was awful. I've had no problems with that PC. The second machine was running windows 7 and the only problem I've had with that computer is the fact that it is a laptop so it isn't running all the time. What I've discovered is that if you start up your computer and log in to your account if you don't wait until Windows completes 100% of the startup routine that sometimes windows explorer gets lost and the start button quits working. What this means is that you can only access the Apps that are in your quick start bar or showing on your desk top. The only way to turn off the computer is CTRL+ALT+Delete to open the task manager. Sometimes rebooting the computer will fix the problem, but other times you have to reinstall the windows apps.

If you wait until the boot process is complete Windows 10 works just like Windows 7. The download and install takes several hours.

Grant Wilkinson
02-21-2016, 8:54 AM
I've done updates on 3 - 2 desktops and an IBM laptop. On the desktops, all went well. On the laptop, since it had almost no programs running, I did a clean install of 10. The install went well, and the laptop ran well for 2 days. Then MS pushed updates to it, including driver updates. That's when things went off the rails. After dealing with MS and uninstalling the drivers they pushed, I was back up and running again. Until, that it, the next batch of driver pushes. After that, I went back to 7. MS has never had a good history of driver updates. In the past, though, with 7, I could make sure that the driver updates did not get downloaded and installed. I get driver updates if I need them from the manufacturer of the hardware. With MS pushing updates now, I'll stick with 7 on the laptop for as long as I can. So far, the updates to the desktops have behaved.

Tony Zona
02-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks, everybody. This is for a laptop, and I'm having misgivings about continuing.

Is the install particularly perilous on a laptop?

Jerome Stanek
02-21-2016, 12:05 PM
If I were upgrading a PC I used, I'd download Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)and create an image of the Win 7 install before doing anything with Windows 10. I've played with Windows 10 enough to get an idea of where things are and what's changed. I don't use Windows day to day but may have to help somebody who does. 10 seems to be reasonably well regarded except for the privacy aspects. I've read Microsoft is installing the same snoopware on 7 & 8.x as updates. Don't know how true that is.

Oh, and the version of Windows 10 that most of us will be using, we can't disable updates. I think Win 10 Pro users can delay updates for a period of time but can't refuse them outright. Enterprise versions have more control over what gets installed.

I did that and Macrium had a corrupt file when I tried to restore it

Mike Henderson
02-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks, everybody. This is for a laptop, and I'm having misgivings about continuing.

I did two laptops without any problems.

Mike

Mike Cooper
02-21-2016, 2:38 PM
I upgraded my Dell laptop back in August. No issues until after the November major update. Since then I have a printer driver (Brother) that won't install. Since the printer is still working I just ignore the driver update.
Mike

Chuck Wintle
02-22-2016, 5:11 AM

I, so far, have avoided going to windows 10 for several reasons. MS has removed some of the control users have when it comes to updates. The are all automatic now. I see no reason to "upgrade" as my windows 7 works perfectly well. I put windows 7 in the same category as windows me.

glenn bradley
02-22-2016, 8:20 AM
The success reported will vary with the diversity of the platforms upgraded. Assuming you have a good reason to move to Windows 10, we average total success with about half the machines that pass the "compatibility test". General failures are video and sound cards and older wireless cards. 2- 3 year old stuff does well with the success curve decreasing with age of components/technology despite being tested as OK.

Curt Harms
02-22-2016, 8:29 AM
I did that and Macrium had a corrupt file when I tried to restore it

Does Macrium have a verify function? I don't use Macrium but that seems to be the most widely recommended imaging program for Windows. I use Image for Linux (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm)from Terabyte that can create images of Windows, Linux and more. It can verify each backup file after creating it and so far (touch wood) I've had no failures.

Curt Harms
02-24-2016, 6:01 AM
Does Macrium have a verify function? I don't use Macrium but that seems to be the most widely recommended imaging program for Windows. I use Image for Linux (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm)from Terabyte that can create images of Windows, Linux and more. It can verify each backup file after creating it and so far (touch wood) I've had no failures.

Well, still no failures but I did learn something. SWMBO had a Windows 7 install on her machine that she hadn't used in months. I figured I'd run the Win 10 upgrade. Seeing as Windows 7 gets totally replaced I didn't think it would be necessary to install all 44 security updates before upgrading. It is necessary - the upgrade script hung on 'checking for updates' until I installed the Win 7 important updates. I wound up restarting twice so downloaded Windows 10 (3 GB I think?) 3 times. Each time I stopped the upgrade it deleted the Windows 10 download. Thank heaven for reasonably fast internet and no data caps.

Rich Engelhardt
02-24-2016, 6:53 AM
I installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 on my 5 year old Dell laptop -Only two things quit working because they had no Windows 10 drivers.

My Microsoft wireless mouse and my Microsoft wireless keyboard.

Why oh why oh why do I buy,,,,Microsoft hardware?
I so feel like Charlie Brown trusting Lucy to hold the football.....

Jeff Books
02-24-2016, 9:19 AM
I have a laptop which had Win 8 initially and have upgraded to Win 10. Win 10 has multiple bugs and doesn't include functions supplied earlier for free-- DVD player, etc. You need to buy apps for that. Currently the email has lost my contacts. One PITA after another. Win 8 and 10 are oriented towards tablets, phones, etc with touch screens. They are not suitable for office style use. I'd love to go back to Win 7!
Jeff

Art Mann
02-24-2016, 9:32 AM
In my opinion, Win 10 is inferior to Win 7 because it still has the smart phone like user interface. However, you can usually ignore it and use it like Win 7. They have also created an alternate control panel that is confusing at first. Fortunately, it still includes the original control panel that most people are already familiar with. There are a few features that are buried deeper than they used to be and the security system is just as quirky and unreliable as other Microsoft products.

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-24-2016, 9:50 AM
If you guys would spend the $3 for Start is Back (or one of the other free start menu apps), Windows 8 looks and functions almost exactly like windows 7.
I use Windows 7 Pro at work and Windows 8.1 Pro at home, and they are nearly identical.

Anyone that really likes 7 and hates 8 just doesn't know how to set up 8 properly.

You can do the same for 10 but I haven't tried it yet. I'll know tomorrow when my new Windows 10 Pro laptop arrives.

Stan Calow
02-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Echoing what Curt Harms said about making sure that W 7 is updated first. For some reason, mine had not done an update for awhile and had 300 updates to load first. The W 10 upgrade went smoothly after that, although it took a whole day. I have not had any glitches in two weeks. I would have stuck with W 7 but did not want to be orphaned. Biggest difference I see with W 10 is not being able to get to things formerly accessible through Control Panel.

Mike Henderson
02-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Echoing what Curt Harms said about making sure that W 7 is updated first. For some reason, mine had not done an update for awhile and had 300 updates to load first. The W 10 upgrade went smoothly after that, although it took a whole day. I have not had any glitches in two weeks. I would have stuck with W 7 but did not want to be orphaned. Biggest difference I see with W 10 is not being able to get to things formerly accessible through Control Panel.
Control panel is available in Win 10. I think I got to it by searching for "control panel". Then I put it in the tile area of win 10.

Mike

Peter Stahl
02-25-2016, 4:39 PM
I use Windows 7 Pro at work and when I got my laptop it had Windows 8 on it which I didn't like. I bought a program called Start8 which is like the one Gerry described above. It looks and functions like a Windows 7 PC. I don't think I will bother to do the upgrade unless it will give me a lot more function than what I have now. I don't remember what I paid for Start8 but it was more than $3.

Sean Troy
02-25-2016, 5:45 PM
Just go to cnet dot com and download start menu 8. Works with all windows versions and is free.

Jerome Stanek
02-25-2016, 5:54 PM
I use classic shell on my windows 10 used it on my wives windows 8.1

James Tibbetts
02-25-2016, 6:19 PM
I'm with Jeff. I've had Win 10 for almost a month and it is just one thing after another. Yesterday it decided that the little window icon should do nothing but sit there.. Click it to shut down or bring up program list.. nothing. Email problems rom the start. I'm going back to 7.

Mike Henderson
02-25-2016, 7:31 PM
I use Windows 7 Pro at work and when I got my laptop it had Windows 8 on it which I didn't like. I bought a program called Start8 which is like the one Gerry described above. It looks and functions like a Windows 7 PC. I don't think I will bother to do the upgrade unless it will give me a lot more function than what I have now. I don't remember what I paid for Start8 but it was more than $3.
I used Start8 and when I upgraded to Win 10, I had problems until I removed Start8. Once I removed it, Win 10 has been great - stable and easy to use.

Mike

Steve Milito
02-25-2016, 7:55 PM
Definitely download classic shell; it's free. I have an issue with Edge browser because it doesn't support plugins; it makes it more secure but loses tremendous utility. There can be some compatibility issues with programs running in tablet mode vs laptop mode. I'm not crazy about the way it now logs you on via your microsoft account. All minor issues.

Lee Schierer
02-25-2016, 8:20 PM
Yesterday it decided that the little window icon should do nothing but sit there.. Click it to shut down or bring up program list.. nothing. Email problems rom the start. I'm going back to 7.

This is a common problem. What I've discovered is that if you start clicking on things before windows completes the boot up process that sometimes windows explorer gets lost and won't let the start icon open. Hit CTRL+ALT+Delete to open the task manager and restart your computer generally works to fix it. If that doesn't work follow the instructions here (http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532).