PDA

View Full Version : My Cerdec dried up!

Bruce Volden
02-20-2016, 4:29 PM
OK folks I need some input.
Many years ago I bought 2, 1# tubs of Cerdec (Cermark/Thermark) from Ferro the mfg. of this stuff at the time. They go a looonnnggg ways and have just tapped into the 2nd tub only to find out it has dried up:mad:
When this stuff dries up it is similar to leather, only tougher!
I have it soaking in DNA at the moment-probably to no avail.
Anyone have experience bringing this back to life? Please

Bruce

Gary Hair
02-20-2016, 6:40 PM
You are doing exactly what you should to bring it back to life. Soak, stir, and soak some more. Constant shaking/stirring after it's partially dissolved would help - find a hot-dog roller and let it spin (minus the heat of course...)

Bruce Volden
02-20-2016, 7:31 PM
Gary,

Thanks for a reply! I never thought of a hot dog roller/rock tumbler. I will keep agitating it till it "breaks free".
I think they could make tires out of this stuff!

Bruce

David Somers
02-20-2016, 7:47 PM
Gary....does Cermark work well on Hotdogs??? I dont see it listed on the company web site????

D

Dan Hintz
02-20-2016, 8:41 PM
If you have a mortar and pestle, consider that for the stubborn pieces. Once finished, put it through a large-mesh strainer to get rid of any chunks that will clog up your airbrush.

Bruce Volden
02-20-2016, 8:45 PM
Gary....does Cermark work well on Hotdogs??? I dont see it listed on the company web site????

D

I would truly appreciate it if we stayed on subject here!
However, since it was brought up--Nathans, Ball Park Franks, Hebrew National? New at this.

Bruce

Bruce Volden
02-20-2016, 8:50 PM
If you have a mortar and pestle, consider that for the stubborn pieces. Once finished, put it through a large-mesh strainer to get rid of any chunks that will clog up your airbrush.

Dan,
I have been down that road with a mortar and pestle (hence the tire comment) this is some very tough stuff!
I'm at the point of using momma's Ninja (whiles she's away of course)!
If I can get it reconstituted I probably have enough for several hundred more knives, switch plates, etc.
I just hate sounding cheap.

Bruce

Bill George
02-21-2016, 4:03 PM
I need to mix some dry compound with a special liquid that contains water as its base. Went to the Goodwill store here in town and purchased a nice used blender with a glass jar for $10. I figure when it gives out, I will try another.

Chris J Anderson
02-21-2016, 7:09 PM
The hot dog roller is a good idea, then also put in a few small stainless steel nuts and bolts to help grind it down...

Don't use normal metal, it will rust like mad in the DNA mix...

Kev Williams
02-21-2016, 8:50 PM
Find the bottle you just emptied (Hopefully you still have it). Now take the bottle with the dried Cermark and just cut it away from the 'cake' with a good knife. Do this over a clean, large plastic (like tupperware) bowl.

Now, just do whatever it takes to break it apart. Me, I use a nice sharp wood chisel. Just be sure your bowl tools are CLEAN, and make sure there's NO WATER anywhere. Water is Cermark's Kryptonite...

Just bust up the cake until you get down to manageable pieces. Pour all the pieces and powder into your other bottle. Now, however deep the bottle is with Cermark, add the same amount of denatured alcohol.

Now throw in 4 or 5 5/16" or 3/8" nuts to act as 'rattle balls'. Any will work, I use stainless.

Put the cap on and start shaking. You'll probably find you need more alcohol. Add what you need. If you get too much, leave the cap off for a few hours, the alky evaporates quickly, as you know ;)

Bill George
02-22-2016, 11:52 AM
A blender would be a lot faster.